Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0317-2000.jpg
IMG_0316-2000.jpg
IMG_0315-2000.jpg
IMG_0313-2000.jpg
#1 10 years ago

While reading up on playfield restorations to educate myself I came across several questions on removing blind nuts from the playfield. Here is a quick safe way that comes from my Model airplane hobby.

I am in the middle of a cleaning/restoration of a STTNG and I wanted to clean and sand the back of the playfield and then seal it before tackling the top clear coat. Most of the blind nuts are installed in a routed depression but some are just banged into the back of the playfield. I want to remove those to make sanding easier.

IMG_0313-2000.jpgIMG_0313-2000.jpg

They are not glued in which makes them easy to remove. You could just thread a screw into them from the back and probably pull them out, or you could use the screw from the front and tap them out from the front, although I prefer to keep hammers away from the painted finish

This method pulls them up straight and easily from the back. You need a small piece of PVC pipe or similar that sits around the blind nut. I used a small piece of 3/4". You need something stiff to span the top of the piece of pipe with a hole in the center for your screw. I used a piece of 1/4" aircraft ply. A proper sized cap head screw and washer is used to pull the blind nut straight out.

IMG_0315-2000.jpgIMG_0315-2000.jpg
IMG_0316-2000.jpgIMG_0316-2000.jpg
IMG_0317-2000.jpgIMG_0317-2000.jpg

I had 2 sizes of blind nuts on the back of my STTG. The 3/4" PVC fit around both of them.

Hope this helps someone

#2 10 years ago

Thanks for sharing this, that's pretty neat.

#4 10 years ago

Nice! Thanks.

#5 10 years ago

My pleasure.

#6 10 years ago

I just do it from the front using a long screw, all it takes are just a few taps usually. I'm pretty good with a hammer.

#7 10 years ago

I'm doing my first playfield swap now on an AFM. I found the t-nuts very easy to remove just by threading in a bolt and by hand just pulling them out with a rocking motion. They had all loosed up quite a bit over the years. Now putting them back in the new playfield is a different story. I was shocked at the amount of force I had to use with a large hammer to drive them in.

#8 10 years ago

Great idea.

3 months later
#9 10 years ago

Nice topic. You inspired me to try a few things, and then I found a quick method that worked for me.
Here's a quick video tutorial on how to remove T-Nuts:
-mof

#10 10 years ago

Nice homemade puller you have. I love making things to make my life easier... Good job!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 85.00
Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 63.95
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 15.00
$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tip-to-remove-t-nuts-blind-nuts?hl=ajnin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.