Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 months ago by tnarv
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

Hi guys. I have a Bally Dixieland Bingo Pinball and I've found both the Timer Stepper and Selection Stepper won't reset properly withought help. I took them apart and was able to get the Selection Stepper cleaned and lubed and it works fine now. My problem is with the Timer Stepper gear and shaft. I followed the same procedure as I used cleaning and lubing the Selection Stepper but when I reassemble and push the stepper gear shaft all the way through as far as it will go it is not "free" spinning like the Selection Unit. I noticed some kind of lubricant on the Selection Stepper Nylon shaft and didn't see much of anything on the Timer Unit gear and shaft. It doesn't matter how much tension I put on the return "reset" spring, it's just is so hard to spin.I can't imagine this being normal as the gear won't reset. Is there a special type of lubricant that is used to allow this this gear to move freely or has the nylon shaft "expanded" somehow over the years. I tried taking the same gear and shaft from a parts machine I have and it's the same, hard to move. I really don't want to grind the end of the shaft that is binding unless there's no other resort. If someone could enlighten me on this I would appreciate it very much as I'm pretty sure these 2 stepper units are causing the machine to act strangly when I attempt to start the game. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

2 weeks later
#2 1 year ago

Maybe the problem is NOT the shaft of the rotor.
Maybe the problem is the inside of the stator sleeve ( card sleeve). Maybe there are burrs on the sleeve
that makes it difficult for the rotor shaft to rotate.
I would sand the inside of the sleeve with a fine grid cloth, then clean and lube.
The unit should rotate freely by hand, if not, then its not a reset problem.
I have never had a problem with a rotor issue.

#3 1 year ago

The nylon gears do no need lubrication on the shaft. I agree with JKnPA

#4 1 year ago

check the spin of the ratchet with the wipers removed. Hold in the reset coil plunger to ensure the pawls are lifted off the ratchet teeth, then turn the shaft and release. If it's not moving freely, then the usual problem is dried grease/crud in the hole thru the metal frame. You can also remove the return spring around the shaft and check that you can spin the ratchet freely in both directions.

if all else fails, it is slightly possible the hole in the metal frame got damaged ... who knows how. I've only seen it once, and the solution was to swap in a frame from a parts machine. Also once had a ratchet that was swollen/distorted and swapped in one from a parts game, but you've eliminated that. Needed to cut a new flat spot on the replacement ratchet to prevent unit from physically overstepping.

there's no need to lubricate any plastic on metal interface. It will eventually gum up and cause problems.

1 month later
#5 11 months ago

Thanks guys for your help. I resolved the issue with a little low grit sandpaper and a little elbow grease. I have others on the machine that are doing the same thing so now, thanks to all, I have the knowledge to repair those as well.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 9.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Art Prints
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 399.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Top-Notch Target Shields
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 19.95
$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus
$ 12.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
COINTAKER.COM
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball
$ 79.99
Apparel - Unisex
PinShades
$ 17.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
BK Pinball
$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 8.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 49.00
Cabinet - Other
Chrome Candy
$ 160.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Lit Frames
$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside