(Topic ID: 70006)

Timeline Arcade... disappointing

By 27dnast

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20181123-200138_Facebook (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20181123-200046_Facebook (resized).jpg
    #1 10 years ago

In the past year I had gone to Timeline in Hanover, PA (their old Mall Location) and thought their pin selection wasn't half bad......fun time and worth the hour drive from my town in MD. Some pin issues... but I talked to the person about it at their counter and she thanked me and said she would pass along the info to the owner.

I recently was up in PA and drove 30+ min out of my way to swing by their new location in an old Bank building in downtown Hanover. All I can say is: what a let down.

The machine line-up was ok (the working part, that is). The first game I stepped up to is F-14. I own this game but love playing it and decided to use it for a warm up. Big mistake. The upper right flipper is inoperable and the lower right flipper was cracked and broken (held together with scotch tape) and crooked. Next machine... Stargate. Not a favorite of mine, but it was next to F-14. Dud. The left outlane diverter has been removed so every ball rolls the outlane kicker (which, if the machine isn't expecting it, causes the machine to sit for minutes as it starts to search for a ball). Next game... Gilligans Island. Ugh. It was just awful.

Sad thing is, the upper right F-14 flipper and the Stargate gate were both broken the last time I had been to timeline almost a year ago! Those are the two games I talked to the shop keeper about.

At this point I'm looking at my watch...I felt like I had wasted my time. It was getting late in the day and I had basically sacrificed an hour of driving time to get to this place... had me agitated.

There were issues with other machines.

Anyhow... it left me wondering... if you are going to have an arcade, why wouldn't you have all of your machines playing well? You have 10 pins - what kind of impression are you trying to make???

#2 10 years ago

Very sorry about your time with us. There is no excuse for those issues. Thanks you for kicking me in the butt to get back on par. I installed the wrong coil on the Stargate have to order the proper one for the left outlane. The f-14 bottom right flipper has been repaired along with the bottom GI lighting. the upper right ordering new coil asap I need kicked in the butt sometimes. Its been a stressful move. But I need to get back on track with maintaining the pins. I have been busy with the video games. Again thanks for coming out and for your post

Thanks
    Brandon
    Timeline Arcade

#3 10 years ago

I live in the area and plan to go in a couple weeks. I obviously support this arcade, but will try to report back honestly after I go!

#4 10 years ago

Glad to see Brandon reply and get games up to speed.!! Thanks Brandon.!! Alot of times these owner's get consumed with the video games and ignore the pin's sometimes.. Most people don't report it to them in a timely, or most times, don't tell the operator's at all.
    Just make sure you keep on top of your pin's brandon, and all will be fine...
    Sound's like a great place to play.!!

#5 10 years ago

My wife and I will be in the area for our anniversary in 3 weeks, I'm glad this thread didn't make me change my mind about stopping. Nice to see the owner chime in, hopefully things are running smooth when I get there haha, I look forward to it

#6 10 years ago

Much respect for the operator willing to step it up!

#7 10 years ago
    Quoted from Timelinearcade:

Very sorry about your time with us. There is no excuse for those issues. Thanks you for kicking me in the butt to get back on par. I installed the wrong coil on the Stargate have to order the proper one for the left outlane. The f-14 bottom right flipper has been repaired along with the bottom GI lighting. the upper right ordering new coil asap I need kicked in the butt sometimes. Its been a stressful move. But I need to get back on track with maintaining the pins. I have been busy with the video games. Again thanks for coming out and for your post
    Thanks
    Brandon
    Timeline Arcade

Thanks for chiming in, Brandon. My kids and I had a great time at the old mall location... I guess I was surprised by non-functioning machines in your line-up, especially after having driven out of my way to get there. Not to sound like a jerk... but I was definitely disappointed to see those issues on the F-14 and Stargate right out of the gate.... especially since those issues weren't new. I was so short on time (and coming off a 5 hour drive... with another hour to go) that I just didn't feel like complaining while I was there... it was easier to leave and continue my trip.

There's another arcade down here in Maryland (Crab Town USA) that has a great pin selection but they are trashed and poorly maintained... it's a total drag to go there. Any pinhead knows that pins are a blast to play when set-up and operating... and a total drag when dirty and in disrepair... or poorly leveled. If it were my shop, I'd make sure every machine had snappy rubbers, clean coil sleeves, and are properly leveled (6.5 degrees and not tilted to one side or the other)... at the minimum. Seems like pretty simple steps to take to make the pins super attractive to customers. Anything less is definitely a deterrent to playing them.

I'm all about supporting local arcades and will give you guys another chance the next time I'm in the area. You have a shot at being known as one of the better pin locations in the northern MD, south/central PA area. You'd be really well served by listing all of the pins you own on your website... with a up-to-date current list of those pins running on floor. Keep those puppies operating well... and you have a home run.

#8 10 years ago

The comments about Timeline would have been better served to Brandon off this forum. It blows my mind how people on a forum about pinball machines set out to destroy an arcade. Same thing happens on KLOV. Do you want Brandon to go out of business? What if a prospective, non pinside customer were to google search timeline arcade and find this thread?

many people don't realize how difficult it is to maintain a room full of 100 or so 20-30+ year old video games and pinballs, in a commercial location, on a daily basis. Flip the switch, everything comes on, no problems, right? Those pins get played by the general public (not people like on pinside who have an appreciation for not beating the crap out of the games), including kids who walk up, start a game, and go "flip flip flip flip" for 10 minutes, then leave in the middle of a game. The games probably log more plays in a week than some home collections log in two years. Games are powered on 12+ hours a day, 7 days a week.

As far as Timeline being "one of the best pin locations in the MD/PA area," how about "one of the only" locations? Where are you playing pinball in MD besides Crabtowne and maybe Volleyball House or Town Hall in College Park? Look at the FSPA database.... there are probably 12 other cumulative pinball MACHINES on route in the greater Baltimore area, if that! There are other arcades in the general area, but none like Timeline. No pins! Would you rather dump $40 in a claw or ticket game and feel robbed, or go to a place like Timeline and, for the whole day, play all of those cool old games?

If you really want arcades of this type to survive in 2013 and beyond, instead of bashing them in a public forum, go to the owner and say what you said, instead of blowing up on pinside. Your comments make Timeline sound like it is a dump, when it is clearly not.

/rant off

Mike F

#9 10 years ago
    Quoted from Guidotorpedo:

The comments about Timeline would have been better served to Brandon off this forum. It blows my mind how people on a forum about pinball machines set out to destroy an arcade. Same thing happens on KLOV. Do you want Brandon to go out of business? What if a prospective, non pinside customer were to google search timeline arcade and find this thread?
    many people don't realize how difficult it is to maintain a room full of 100 or so 20-30+ year old video games and pinballs, in a commercial location, on a daily basis. Flip the switch, everything comes on, no problems, right? Those pins get played by the general public (not people like on pinside who have an appreciation for not beating the crap out of the games), including kids who walk up, start a game, and go "flip flip flip flip" for 10 minutes, then leave in the middle of a game. The games probably log more plays in a week than some home collections log in two years. Games are powered on 12+ hours a day, 7 days a week.
    As far as Timeline being "one of the best pin locations in the MD/PA area," how about "one of the only" locations? Where are you playing pinball in MD besides Crabtowne and maybe Volleyball House or Town Hall in College Park? Look at the FSPA database.... there are probably 12 other cumulative pinball MACHINES on route in the greater Baltimore area, if that! There are other arcades in the general area, but none like Timeline. No pins! Would you rather dump $40 in a claw or ticket game and feel robbed, or go to a place like Timeline and, for the whole day, play all of those cool old games?
    If you really want arcades of this type to survive in 2013 and beyond, instead of bashing them in a public forum, go to the owner and say what you said, instead of blowing up on pinside. Your comments make Timeline sound like it is a dump, when it is clearly not.
    /rant off
    Mike F

Your opinion is your opinion and that is fine. If I choose to let others know of my experience, possibly saving them from driving an hour or so for disappointment, so be it. I don't know about you, but I don't have unlimited time to drive all over the region looking for video games on location. If it takes this to get the owners attention, then that's a good thing... not a bad thing. For the record - as I pointed out - the last time I was at Timeline, those machines had basically the same issues. I took the time to talk to the attendant that day... and apparently nothing changed. In fact, this gives Brandon an opportunity to let others who have had the same experience know that he's working on getting the games up to speed.

It all goes without mentioning that I have suggested that others travel to Timeline in the past... right here on this forum.

Pins on location don't have to be in disrepair. If you believe that to be the case then you haven't been to very many good locations. Ever been to Pinball Wizard in Pellham, NH? Perfect proof that vast quantities of pins can be kept operating in amazing condition while on location. Just "having them" as a business is great... but having them in good working condition is what should be strived for. Nothing is worse for the arcade world than playing a broken game on location... operators get one chance to make an impression.

#10 10 years ago
    Quoted from Guidotorpedo:

/rant off
    Mike F

Did you read the owners response? he thanked him several times for making him get off his butt to fix them. The OP could be saving his business.

#11 10 years ago

My concern with pins in disrepair in the wild is its long-term negative effect on all from selfy-generation that have recently learned about pinball on their devices. Their ipad never has a sticky flipper or out of level adjustment.

A little bit of non-optimal pinball condition is normal, but when people finally find a taxi in the wild after having been playing it competitively at home on a console, a busted down machine can sour them for life. Sometimes public forums are the best place to lay down complaints as it gives the business owner an opportunity to manage their reputation while increasing business awareness. Specifically in this case, if I was in the area, I'd still go to timeline considering the owner's response. But if I went there a month from now and it was still as OP described, I probably wouldn't go back.

#12 10 years ago

I played at Crabtowne for the first time recently, and I have to say, I expected worse based on comments like the one above. A couple of machines were out of order, but the several dozen others all worked fine. Not to say they were 100% dialed-in, but I didn't see any mechanical issues, broken toys, weak flippers, etc. Compared to some of the machines on location in DC (TSPP at Game Room with broken couch, LOTR at Sollys with broken ring, etc.) it was paradise. Given how little revenue they must generate, I was happy with the condition.

I was surprised that there was no indication from the outside of Crabtowne that they even had a huge old-school arcade inside. I guess they rely on word of mouth.

#13 10 years ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

Your opinion is your opinion and that is fine. If I choose to let others know of my experience, possibly saving them from driving an hour or so for disappointment, so be it. I don't know about you, but I don't have unlimited time to drive all over the region looking for video games on location. If it takes this to get the owners attention, then that's a good thing... not a bad thing. For the record - as I pointed out - the last time I was at Timeline, those machines had basically the same issues. I took the time to talk to the attendant that day... and apparently nothing changed. In fact, this gives Brandon an opportunity to let others who have had the same experience know that he's working on getting the games up to speed.
    It all goes without mentioning that I have suggested that others travel to Timeline in the past... right here on this forum.
    Pins on location don't have to be in disrepair. If you believe that to be the case then you haven't been to very many good locations. Ever been to Pinball Wizard in Pellham, NH? Perfect proof that vast quantities of pins can be kept operating in amazing condition while on location. Just "having them" as a business is great... but having them in good working condition is what should be strived for. Nothing is worse for the arcade world than playing a broken game on location... operators get one chance to make an impression.

Point taken, well said. Before you edited your original statement, you made it seem like the arcade is a dump, which it is not. I have taken my son there many times, and we've had a blast, playing vids, consoles, and pins. Last time I was up, the Gilligans and F14 played fine (I put up almost 6 million on the F14). Didn't play the stargate though.

Mike

#14 10 years ago
    Quoted from Timelinearcade:

Thanks
    Brandon
    Timeline Arcade

Stand up guy. The fact that Brandon was the 1st one to respond shows that he does care, and takes responsibility for making it right.
    If I'm ever out there, I'll stop by for sure.

#15 10 years ago

I'm sure it's not easy at all maintaining these machines. Hell, one keeps me busy lmao. Super cool to see the owner chime in right away. If I was in the area I'd make it a point to head over and support his efforts by playing a few.

1 month later
    #16 10 years ago

Just wanted to revive this thread to follow up. I went to Timeline today with my parents, brother and 2 - year-old daughter. Was impressed. The pins were clean and generally played well. Great selection of vids, too. I assume it was Brandon who was there. Very gracious. Will be back.

#17 10 years ago

I have known Brandon for a couple years now and he seems to be a generally great guy but I think this year he got himself involved in a little too much to give anything 100%. Not only did he move the location of his arcade - he & Rich took over the York Show (Whiterose Gameroom Show). Rich is not involved with Timeline but they joined forces to take over running the York Show when the original promoter decided he had done it long enough.

So my hats off to Brandon for all he has done in Central, PA and for his love for the hobby. York was as good or better than ever but I don't think Brandon knew moving an arcade & being a promoter of a pinball show were going to be as much work as both were.

Hopefully now that his first York show is behind him and the move of the arcade is also completed he will have more time to be sure everything is as good as it can be with his pinball machines at the arcade.

I was a little upset to see the original post because I know Brandon has been trying very hard to make things work but I also think outside input is important so operators & promoters realize when customers are not happy.

Anyway - I wish Brandon & everyone else involved with preserving the old arcade feeling & these great machines & this hobby a happy & healthy New Year. Keep up the good work in 2014!

#18 10 years ago

I was able to stop at Timeline for my anniversary this month. My wife and I had a great time and felt that the all day pass was a great value. Played a ton of Monopoly, Whirlwind, Tommy and some others. I can only recall 1 issue on 1 pin that affected gameplay which considering the amount of pins & arcade games was very reasonable. I look forward to getting back down there soon

2 weeks later
    #19 10 years ago

Thanks for the follow ups, It has been more than a stressful year to say the least. Please support the classic arcade and pinball rooms in your areas. If they work as hard as we do they would love to see some support and just a THANK YOU once and a while.

HAPPY NEW YEAR
    Brandon
    Timeline Arcade

#20 10 years ago

I can tell you from experience we run around 75 pins and 50 videos in one of our locations and sometimes you get Yelp reviews of people who hate the place BECAUSE all it has is old pinball machines! LOL

It is very difficult to keep up with games for sure.

I can't wait to see the gentleman down here with 800 games putting them on location in less than a year. That's going to be a technician's nightmare.

#21 10 years ago

Timeline arcade= awesome arcade! I must say Brandon does a hell of a job and the new location is nice and has way better hours. I want to see a location that has even one pinball machine in perfect running order! Or as stated above even any pinball machines, he just got done moving 2 months ago. Anyhow be glad there is someone like Brandon who is willing to bring back arcades like they used to be. I have been to both locations and would recomend this place to all my friends! Be supportive not critical!

4 years later
    #22 5 years ago

This is funny to come back and read how much better things were years ago here. I really want to love this place, but I drove an hour down there to find 8 of the pins were out of service today. Metallica still has the same double ball eject issue as it had last year. First tombstone drop is broken and the second works intermittently. Taxi is down literally every time I go. Jack Bot has a bad shooter spring so you can't make the skill shot. Demolition man goes into ball search every time you hit the upper right scoop. Many weak flippers. I guess if you are going just to play the pins, call and ask how many are down before you commit a long drive to going.

Games powered down today:
    WCS94
    Monopoly
    Tommy
    Taxi
    Whirlwind
    Metallica (came back up and then went down again)
    Fish Tales
    One of the early SS machines on the left had no displays.

#23 5 years ago

So 8 pins down... meaning what.. there were still like 20+ working?

They have pins spread out over 3 different rooms, plus the full room of arcades.

#24 5 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

So 8 pins down... meaning what.. there were still like 20+ working?
    They have pins spread out over 3 different rooms, plus the full room of arcades.

More like 16 or 17 total. So almost half the pinball machines are down. Pins are in 2 of the 3 rooms. Back room has a broken Monopoly and a working Slugfest. Small size room has zero pins. Where are these 20+ working games you speak of?

It sounds like you haven't been there in quite some time. It's definitely not the same place it was a couple years ago. The downtown York location still has both Ghostbusters scoops shooting STDM since day one, and ive offered to come fix the coil setting myself to no avail.

#25 5 years ago

Also, I'm not the only one to notice recently...

I also played the skee ball today. Gives you 5 severely out of round balls, and several of the score display bulbs are out, so you have no idea what you actually scored.

Screenshot_20181123-200046_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20181123-200046_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20181123-200138_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20181123-200138_Facebook (resized).jpg
    #26 5 years ago

I just want to say it is ridiculously hard to keep old pins running. Many operators will only run newer Sterns due to constant breakdowns. Even when I went to Pacific Pinball Museum a couple of years ago there were a good 20 machines turned off on a Sunday night. For our machines at least 3 go down a week. If not for a weekly volunteer crew we might be in the same position. If I were Brandon I would just take the broken machines off the floor until they can be fixed. As is it just turns into bright red target for critics to take aim at. And to those criticizing you paid your money, you didn’t feel you got value, you have every freedom to criticize. But will said location going out of business provide you any sense of justice here. How about just asking for your money back. I would gladly do that for any customer who felt I didn’t provide them a worthwhile experience and it is a whole lot less traumatic than this public shaming and perhaps more constructive too.

#27 5 years ago

Since we have a small arcade & several A pin titles in our house we only visit Timeline a few times a year just to support the business. Anytime I see a pin out on location I always throw some credits on the machine no matter what. Our local pizza shop has a Transformers Pro & though I have worn it out, I help the cause just to be sure that or another pin will be in place at that location in the future.

When I was young a long time ago, there were pins & arcade machines everywhere. Every mall had a full arcade, the laundry mat & even Turkey Hill always had some sort of machine just to draw kids there probably to buy slushies & such. With Timeline or any other arcade venture, I can't even begin to comprehend the overhead that's involved w/ commercial rent, employee salaries, insurance & plus the constant upkeep or maintenance that these machines require constantly. Put yourself in Brandon's shoes & try to wrap your head around that.

A great solution to this would be for the Pinside community to come together & offer some assistance for Timeline or another local arcade venue. I live five miles away from the Timeline York location & would be willing to help w/ the upkeep of those machines simply because I enjoy it. Possibly Brandon might be willing to offer some free-play in exchange for our maintenance service. Several experienced Pinsiders at one location could service these machines quickly & this would make a major difference in the preservation of these very few & far between arcades. Please chime in & offer your thoughts.

#28 5 years ago
    Quoted from Ockeyhead:

Since we have a small arcade & several A pin titles in our house we only visit Timeline a few times a year just to support the business. Anytime I see a pin out on location I always throw some credits on the machine no matter what. Our local pizza shop has a Transformers Pro & though I have worn it out, I help the cause just to be sure that or another pin will be in place at that location in the future.
    When I was young a long time ago, there were pins & arcade machines everywhere. Every mall had a full arcade, the laundry mat & even Turkey Hill always had some sort of machine just to draw kids there probably to buy slushies & such. With Timeline or any other arcade venture, I can't even begin to comprehend the overhead that's involved w/ commercial rent, employee salaries, insurance & plus the constant upkeep or maintenance that these machines require constantly. Put yourself in Brandon's shoes & try to wrap your head around that.
    A great solution to this would be for the Pinside community to come together & offer some assistance for Timeline or another local arcade venue. I live five miles away from the Timeline York location & would be willing to help w/ the upkeep of those machines simply because I enjoy it. Possibly Brandon might be willing to offer some free-play in exchange for our maintenance service. Several experienced Pinsiders at one location could service these machines quickly & this would make a major difference in the preservation of these very few & far between arcades. Please chime in & offer your thoughts.

Yes, this is how we all can help support these efforts. We all get together on Thursday nights and address the issues from the last week on each machine. It’s done as a labor of love, nobody gets paid other than free dinner, and we all take pride when we’ve made a machine better. Affording a full time tech is not feasible for us and if not for the volunteer crew we would have lots of black displays each week. It’s rare we have all 75 machines up in any given week. The good news is that we love fixing them and getting new ones brought back to life. It’s like therapy for us.

#29 5 years ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

I just want to say it is ridiculously hard to keep old pins running. Many operators will only run newer Sterns due to constant breakdowns.

I usually get more upset with pay per play places that aren't well maintained. It's annoying when you loose 5-10 dollars in tokens because of coin mechs, or pay a dollar to play a game with a non-working or super weak flippers.
    If it's a free play arcade, you have to take into account those machines are probably getting at least 5 times or more in plays than your average location.
    Not saying it's impossible to keep up with a free-play arcade, I wouldn't want to do it though.

As for locations having old machines (pre-2000) vs. new machines (2000 and up), personally I don't have any more or less issues with older machines. For me, it's because ALOT the time I put in on them and the new parts I add. Don't want the headache of a machine breaking down every couple of days because of something I could have prevented. Also at most locations that aren't freeplay, it's harder to justify giving a spot to a game that is going to earn 5 to 10 times less then a newer one. That and most ops aren't going to want to spend the time on preventative maintenance... It's not worth it for the most part. Without tournament players, I doubt I would have any old machines (pre-90's). (to bad because there are a lot of good ones).

#30 5 years ago

Like I said, myself and others have offered help, but they do it seem to have any interest whatsoever or are in denial. At the York location, Freddy doesn't even have leg levelers on it. The legs are flat on the floor, and the building has an old out of level floor. Freddy is nearly unplayable because the tilt of the floor sends the shot out of the shooter SDTM.

#31 5 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

Like I said, myself and others have offered help, but they do it seem to have any interest whatsoever or are in denial. At the York location, Freddy doesn't even have leg levelers on it. The legs are flat on the floor, and the building has an old out of level floor. Freddy is nearly unplayable because the tilt of the floor sends the shot out of the shooter SDTM.

Some places don't have spare parts or money for them, or are fine with the way things are (people have different standards).
    Pride might be in the way..... you don't really know, all you can do is either keep going in or stop going.
    Think the best way to let people know about conditions is pinballmap, otherwise people tend to get really defensive.
    Maybe you and a few others could test the waters and route a couple machines, I know there are several places down here that have asked me over the years.
    At least that way you'll have a few local spots to go to, and it'll help pay for the hobby to some degree.

5 months later
    #32 4 years ago

I went to Timeline in York this past winter. The issue with Ghostbusters' scoop SDTM was never fixed. I will never go to either location again.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/timeline-arcade-disappointing?hl=vectorgamer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.