(Topic ID: 186912)

Timed thread drain (lazarus threads!)

By chadderack

7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

Hi Pinside,

The EPROM/Battery thing was a nice addition to the site. Thank you for taking my suggestion!

Another (perhaps more esoteric?) suggestion:

The drain thread feature is great. How about augmenting it with an 'end-date' timestamp--kind of like a "temporary drain" or a "Lazarus ball" thing?

The default could maybe remain "permanent" drain (the date would be a null in the database)... but the option to bring back the thread "from the drain" like a Lazarus ball might be handy.

Seems the feature could be handy in several threads where people have been waiting for a long time for news, but the thread gets bogged down with OT posts and so forth.

Just a thought.

Thanks!
    Chad.

#2 7 years ago

We tried an expiration date on threads a while back--threads would expire after a periot of time in a specific subforum. It basically went unused.

#3 7 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

We tried an expiration date on threads a while back--threads would expire after a periot of time in a specific subforum. It basically went unused.

Not what he's seeking, I don't believe anyway. He wants to be notified when a new post in a dormant thread is made.

Take Pinbox/Nucor thread, as a random example, it's been dead for many months, but if there is an update to it he wants to know and not miss it in his feed.

#4 7 years ago

Or he is asking to undrain a thread, which you already can do already. Actually, in reading OPs post again I'm not totally sure what he's suggesting. Seems like two different things.

#5 7 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Or he is asking to undrain a thread, which you already can do already. Actually, in reading OPs post again I'm not totally sure what he's suggesting. Seems like two different things.

Kind of an auto-undrain based on a time/date you set. Maybe that's just hard-coded at two weeks or something. This would just be an addition to the regular "drain" function, except that it would have an auto-undrain date set when you drain--a date stamp.

Actually dealt with the specific problem already (using ignore) but it's unfortunate I had to do that.

Thanks guys.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/timed-thread-drain-lazarus-threads and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.