Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1503 (resized).jpg
IMG_1501 (resized).jpg
IMG_1491 (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

Hello everyone,

Restoring a 1973 Time Zone. Have done a considerable amount of work on the pin and plan to do a lot more. With that said I'm currently stumped on why the score continues to count the 1,000 switch over and over again, as the coin door switch continues to try to lock over and over again and the tunnel only lights up the thousand spot.

When I switch the pinball machine on all works and the score boards resets. The moment I hit the start button the thousand point continues to count and the coin door moves back and forth over and over again. Did remove everything to clean the playfield, replace rubbers etc. so with that been checking all the switches and they all appear to not be touching and working properly. When I push down any of the other thousand switches the scoreboard pauses and you hear the hum. However, when I push down the switch circled it just continues to count by the thousand as if it's not even working.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated

IMG_1491 (resized).jpgIMG_1491 (resized).jpgIMG_1501 (resized).jpgIMG_1501 (resized).jpgIMG_1503 (resized).jpgIMG_1503 (resized).jpg
#2 2 years ago

The coin door noise is due to the machine trying to reset. It is trying to reset because it never sees the 1000's reel get to zero. Check your switches on the 1000 reel. If don't see anything, with power off, reset all of the score reels to zero, then power on and start a game.

If the 1000s reel starts moving, the machine is not seeing it zero - you need to trace and see why.

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from Billc479:

The coin door noise is due to the machine trying to reset. It is trying to reset because it never sees the 1000's reel get to zero. Check your switches on the 1000 reel. If don't see anything, with power off, reset all of the score reels to zero, then power on and start a game.
If the 1000s reel starts moving, the machine is not seeing it zero - you need to trace and see why.

Thanks for the help. I've reset all the score reels to zero and when I start the game the 1000s reel does start to move and keep counting. If I turn on the 2nd player that score starts to move the 1000s reel on that side as well. How would I go about tracing it and problem solving from here?

#4 2 years ago

You have a switch for 1000 points stuck closed somewhere on the playfield. That is the simple explanation. Could be deeper, but start looking at the switches that score 1000 points.

#5 2 years ago

I just got a Space Time and fixed it up. The button you have circled is the collect tunnel and if held down it will repeatedly score the tunnel value and releases the gates. If I hold a 1000 score switch it energizes the 1000 score reel and will stay frozen until I release the switch. So if you are continuously scoring there is something else going on, maybe something is causing the score motor to continuously run as well as the 1000 switch? Often that is a score reel switch but could be many other causes. Unplug the coin door and see if stops. You can also unplug playfield and see if everything stops. Look on the schematic and put paper in every switch that activates score motor and 1000 points.
On my machines I unsolder the coin door relay and affix the rod so it will always accept coins as a way to save power and stop humming.
Good luck. I put colored LED lights in the tunnel and it looks fantastic. I will be posting the fixes and results on Youtube tomorrow.

EDIT: I just looked a schematic and the coin chute switches are required for score motor to work properly, so unplugging coin door connector does not give that much diagnostic help.

#6 2 years ago

Agree with SkidDave - you have a 1000 point switch stuck closed. To verify, see if your 1000 point relay is closes when you start a game.

I think the switches are the tunnel unit disc, left and right out rollovers, and right alley 1, 2, & 3 rollovers.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
1,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pleasanton, CA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/time-zone-repair?hl=skidave and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.