• Latest reply 5 years ago by Blake
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20180502_144943 (resized).jpg
IMG_20180502_144327 (resized).jpg
Williams_1978_Phoenix_Schematics_paginated.pdf_-_S_2018-05-02_11-08-50 (resized).jpg
IMG_20180502_104541 (resized).jpg
Untitled (resized).png
#1 5 years ago

Just picked up a Time Warp and having an issue with my upper kick out hole. Switch registers in switch test as well as game play but coil won't fire. When coil is grounded it fires, when transistor is grounded coil fires. Coil does not work in sol test either. Every other coil works as well as all lights except for lane guide light next to kick out. Thoughts or ideas? Oh ya coil tests good. Changed transistor and getting the same result.

#2 5 years ago

Definitely a board issue. Could be the Pre-driver, or one of the logic chips as well

#3 5 years ago

do you have a logic probe? Put the game in rolling solenoid test and stick the probe on the 7408 output that ANDs with BLANK and check there. Then check the PIA output.

Use the transistor number to follow back towards the PIA using a driver board drawing. The firepower manual scan on IPDB is the one i usually work from.

#4 5 years ago

No logic probe but have dmm.

#5 5 years ago

Also I am dumb, so you may have to explain things to me like a small child.

#6 5 years ago

Top kicker is solenoid 2 on Q17, right?

This is the path the signal follows from the PIA to Q17. You can try to watch the signal at the input and output pins of each part it goes through to see where it's lost, or just start on the left and work your way up, replacing each part and re-testing as you go.

Untitled (resized).pngUntitled (resized).png

#7 5 years ago

Just checked pre trans at Q16 right leg and middle leg have readings left leg shows no readings. Does that mean it is bad? I didn't have any around the house when I changed the other transistor.

#8 5 years ago

Is this the pia or the 7408 or neither? Lol.

IMG_20180502_104541 (resized).jpgIMG_20180502_104541 (resized).jpg

#9 5 years ago

Compare readings on that pre-driver with another.

That's your CPU. See map of chips in the schematics

Williams_1978_Phoenix_Schematics_paginated.pdf_-_S_2018-05-02_11-08-50 (resized).jpgWilliams_1978_Phoenix_Schematics_paginated.pdf_-_S_2018-05-02_11-08-50 (resized).jpg

#10 5 years ago

Duh. Sorry. All other trans test the same.

#11 5 years ago

Here is the readout of pia, game is in playing mode
1. Jumping
2. "
3. "
4. "
5. "
6."
7. "
8."
9."
10."
11."
12."
13."
14."
15. "
16."
17."
18.jjumping
21. Jumping
22.flashing 0's
23. 0
26 flashing 0
29."
30."
31."
32."
33."
34."
35."
36."
37."
38."
39."
40. Flashing g 0

#12 5 years ago

You can locate IC1+5 using the diagram I attached. The only pin on IC5 you care about is pin 3, where the red line goes in, but you won't see anything useful except when the hole is supposed to fire. If IC5 is working you'll see 0 until the hole fires, then it should jump up to 5V for a tiny bit (it might not make it all the way because the pulse is so quick though)

#13 5 years ago

IMG_20180502_144327 (resized).jpgIMG_20180502_144327 (resized).jpg

IMG_20180502_144943 (resized).jpgIMG_20180502_144943 (resized).jpg

#14 5 years ago

Ic5 pin 3 stayed at 0 even when switch was activated.

#15 5 years ago

Looks like two of your PIAs are socketed. You can quickly rule out the PIA as being a problem by just swapping IC5 and IC10 (or IC11)

#16 5 years ago

I will give it a shot tonight when I get home.

#17 5 years ago

But ic1 which should be a 7408 appears to be a 7750 is this correct? I will get readings on that chip tonight's after I try swapping Pia's.

#18 5 years ago

It looks like it says 7408N on it too, that number probably means something else

#19 5 years ago

Ok. I'll switch Pia's tonight and report back. Thanks for all your help.

#20 5 years ago

Switched Pia's no difference. Reading at 1c 1 pin 12 is 0 wheather I hold the switch or not.

#21 5 years ago

Hrm. In that case my first step would be to replace IC1. It's possible it's fried and pulling the line down to 0 even when the PIA is sending 5V.

#22 5 years ago

Ok I'll get a socket and new chip.

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

It looks like it says 7408N on it too, that number probably means something else

7750 is the date code made in the 50th week of 1977.

Marco is not specific enough about the part to know. Ask what logic family they will send you. You need a high powered chip like 7408 or 74F08. You don't want 74LS08, 74HCT08, 74HC08.

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/products.asp?cat=63

Quoted from V_piscopo:

Switched Pia's no difference. Reading at 1c 1 pin 12 is 0 wheather I hold the switch or not.

The 7408s in this circuit usually fail on the outputs, maybe compare to a working circuit to be sure. Use rolling solenoid test so you don't have to trigger on the PF.

You could also lift that suspect chip leg off of the board and then see if the PIA does work. Also can check to see if it is shorted to ground with a DMM. Game off. DMM set to diode test. Red lead on ground, black lead probe that 7408 leg and you should see a typical voltage drop (again compare to working circuits). A 0.200 or less reading is usually a good sign of a blown gate.

#25 5 years ago

I will check tonight. I will order a 7F408 chip from great plains as they are in stock also going to grab some transistors and pre drivers from them. Looks like they are OOS of the Tip122's which is what I used when I changed that trans. What is a good option for trans and pre drivers so I can order them. Also should I order a couple pia chips just to have on hand for other games?

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from V_piscopo:

I will check tonight. I will order a 7F408 chip from great plains as they are in stock also going to grab some transistors and pre drivers from them. Looks like they are OOS of the Tip122's which is what I used when I changed that trans. What is a good option for trans and pre drivers so I can order them. Also should I order a couple pia chips just to have on hand for other games?

tip102 can be substituted for tip122 and is in stock there.

#27 5 years ago

Cool. What about pre drive trans?

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from V_piscopo:

and pre drivers so I can order them. Also should I order a couple pia chips just to have on hand for other games?

2n4401 and not a bad idea to have a few known good PIAs on hand. The brand of PIA in your picture has been more problematic than others for whatever reasons.

#29 5 years ago

Cool how do I search for them on GP website?

#30 5 years ago

With machine off, In diode test mode with red ground and black on IC 1 pin 12 (solenoid 2) I read 0.558. on IC 1 pin 4 (sol 3) I read 0.362

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from V_piscopo:

With machine off, In diode test mode with red ground and black on IC 1 pin 12 (solenoid 2) I read 0.558. on IC 1 pin 4 (sol 3) I read 0.362

that is close enough to not declare it bad. 0.000 or even 0.100 is what i look for on the DMM quick and dirty diode test. If it reads differently than every other circuit that is a clue tho something is on that trace it shouldnt be or it is not hooked up like the rest of the circuits are.

I see IC sockets. Are you 100% sure there is continuity from the PIA to the 7408? Buzz it out. You could also do in solenoid test probe right on the PIA leg and then probe on the 7408 leg to see if the signal is getting lost moving across the board from a cut trace or bad IC socket.

I am not sure if GPE sells PIAs right now. Looks like OOS to me.

#32 5 years ago

I will check tonight. I put the machine in rolling sol test mode and tested leg 3 of pia and got nothing, so I pulled the board again and reflowed solder to that socket. Still nothing. I was only into the machine for $100 so after about my third beer decided to splerge and buy a rottendog mpu/driver combo. I will continue to check/work on board and keep for backup or another project w/ shot mpu or driver. I definitely want to thank you guys for the help and I learned a lot about both chips, and reading circut schematics.

#33 5 years ago

New rottendog board came in. Game plays great. Actually a pretty fun game. Thanks for all your help again.

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from V_piscopo:

New rottendog board came in. Game plays great. Actually a pretty fun game. Thanks for all your help again.

awesome!!! glad you got it going. Now when do I stop by and whos buying the beer?
thanks
Blake

#35 5 years ago

Your always welcome.

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from V_piscopo:

Your always welcome.

ill pick up pong at the same time
Thanks
Blake

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 130.00
Electronics
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/time-warp-upper-kick-out and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.