20140402_172740.jpg
20140329_122705.jpg
20140329_122540.jpg
TW Old Glass.JPG
#1 10 years ago

End product:

20140329_122705.jpg20140329_122705.jpg
20140329_122540.jpg20140329_122540.jpg

Background: I picked up a semi-project Time Warp a while back and have been cleaning it up and working out the kinks. The biggest issue was the bad backglass. No repo available.
TW Old Glass.JPGTW Old Glass.JPG

Recently Underspin posted a thread about how he and some other pinsiders created a translite for a Stern Hot Hand.
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-hot-hand-translite-project-finished

This was interesting to me since I have access to essentially the same large format plotter that was used. The only problem I had was that I had no art files, and no artistic ability to create any.

When I posted about my interest in trying Time Warp, pinsider JeffHecht contacted me and offered to allow me to use the art files from his incredible Time Warp restoration. I had forgotten how awesome Jeff's restoration was until I went back and looked again.
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/time-warp-restoration

Jeff had a print shop make a replacement backglass from art files that he created himself in photshop. He was incredibly kind and allowed me to use his files for the backglass art and light mask. I did not understand how important the light mask is until I saw it.

My plan was to try printing on various media using multiple plotter settings until I found a combination that looked halfway decent. My first try was printing the art on 24 lb white bond paper and the light mask on translucent vellum.
I did not realize how impressive Jeff's art was until I saw it printed out full size. Wow.

There was no reason to try additional media or settings since the first combination looks great. I cut out the score windows on both sheets, and the player number spaces on the light mask. It looks great when sandwiched between two sheets of 0.08 inch clear plexiglass from the local big box store.

The attached pics do not show how well the light mask text shows up. The "Tilt, Same Player Shoot Again, etc." is all very clear and looks great. I have all warm white LEDs in the backbox, since I don't think incandescent bulbs behind plexiglass and paper is a good idea. I do have the incandescent blinker bulbs in and they look sweet.

I can't imagine how this could have come out better.
Big thanks to Underspin and crew for the idea and procedure. Huge thanks to Jeff Hecht for allowing me to use his art.

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

No attached pictures.

Sorry about that. Photo upload was giving me static. Pics added.

#4 10 years ago

That is so awesome. I remember passing on a project Time Warp about 2-3 years ago. The flaky scratched up backglass was the main reason I didn't buy it.

Are you in the bananna flip club or normal flipper club?

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from Spybryon:

Are you in the bananna flip club or normal flipper club?

Banana flippers. Love the change from how all other pins play.

#6 10 years ago

Great post and awesome looking restoration! I'm very glad I was able to help you out.

Jeff

P.S. The banana flippers are a lot of fun

#7 10 years ago

WOW!!! That looks GREAT. It was well worth the effort. How well does it light up?

#8 10 years ago

Nice!! So that's printed on paper? I'd love to see the masking layer behind if you get a chance to take a "behind" pic of the translite. How is it mounted?

Well done, and that artwork that Jeff did is fantastic. Copyright aside I can see a need for more self made translites in the future. It's going to be more and more difficult to find viable pieces and/or repros.

I also did a Time Warp restoration although I stuck the original cruddy glass back in the machine. Got it from Dayhuff as a project back in the day and it was a turd to say the least. I challenged myself to see if I could bring the playfield back. Turned out alright. Slideshow here:

http://tinyurl.com/q4ycndd

#9 10 years ago

Looks amazing.

Any pics of it lit up?

The paper you printed on, is it acid free "archival" stuff that does not yellow?

#10 10 years ago

Thanks guys!
The art and the lightmask are not mounted at all. They are loose other than a litit le bit of static cling which actually helps to assemble things. The whole thing is only loosely held together by the trim.
Jeff's art is insanely great. He has the original artist signature on the glove cuff.

The paper is not listed as acid free. We have been using this stuff at work for 15+ years and it does not seem to discoloration with age. The stuff we had prior to that did yellow/gray with age.

More pics if they will cooperate:
lighted - note the lit text lower left
20140402_172740.jpg20140402_172740.jpg

Lightmask separate from the art
20140402_172120.jpg20140402_172120.jpg

#11 10 years ago

That's looks awesome all lit up!

11 months later
#12 9 years ago

Are people looking for Translites for Time Warp?
We have the rights and the Art.
Time Warp BG_Master_REV.jpgTime Warp BG_Master_REV.jpg

#13 9 years ago

I might be depending on price

5 months later
#14 8 years ago

Did these ever get made? Not getting any response from harry_pps.

#15 8 years ago

curious myself.

#16 8 years ago

How about even the stuff from the OP? Anything?

1 year later
#17 6 years ago

Did anyone ever repro this as transliteration and if so how much was it

#18 6 years ago

Translite...sorry auto correct on phone

#19 6 years ago

We have them ... let me check and see if on the store. Came out great.

rick

#20 6 years ago

Do you have price?

#22 6 years ago

Rick it's not in store and I am watching like a hawk. Wouldn't mind a CPR playfield for my Time Warp
-Mike

#23 6 years ago

We just have 1 here which is now taken by someone at PAGG.

We are getting more made, so probably a couple weeks, but they are done and other than getting them run ...

rick

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

We just have 1 here which is now taken by someone at PAGG.
We are getting more made, so probably a couple weeks, but they are done and other than getting them run ...
rick

I would take 1 for sure.

1 week later
#25 6 years ago

Would be interested in 1 when available.

4 months later
3 years later
#27 2 years ago

PPS does not carry the translite anymore. Did anyone get these recreated?

#28 2 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

PPS does not carry the translite anymore. Did anyone get these recreated?

For your consideration.
-Mike

Screenshot_2021-05-15-17-03-10 (resized).pngScreenshot_2021-05-15-17-03-10 (resized).png
#29 2 years ago
Quoted from Grizlyrig:

For your consideration.
-Mike[quoted image]

Thanks Mike! I didn’t even look! I went to bgresto and saw they did it. Someone I know has a time warp missing the backglass, and I was looking for a few ways they could replace. I’ll let them know. I also submitted a ticket to pps to see if they’ll do a translite run again.

#30 2 years ago

I submitted a ticket to PPS asking about this translite and received, "no eta at this time"

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 130.00
Electronics
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Tools
Pincoder Store

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/time-warp-translite-re-creation and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.