• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PXL_20220207_192707627 (resized).jpg
PXL_20220207_192719766 (resized).jpg

#1 2 years ago

I have a Time Warp that isn't making any sounds. I get nothing at all. I think there was some audible hum/crackle the first few times I fired it up maybe, but now there is nothing. Here are some pictures of the board as I received it.
PXL_20220207_192719766 (resized).jpgPXL_20220207_192719766 (resized).jpgPXL_20220207_192707627 (resized).jpgPXL_20220207_192707627 (resized).jpg
Since then, I have:

- Replaced all but the four largest caps, which seem to have been replaced at some point previously.
- Tested the voltages, all seems good.
- Reflowed the solder on the headers (but haven't re-pinned anything).
- Swapped in new 10k resistors
- Confirmed appropriate resistance at the speaker
- Confirmed continuity from speaker to board plug housings
- Removed the attached case fan

I have not completed the jumper mods on the back yet, but plan to. Anything else I should make sure and check? Appreciate the help!

#2 2 years ago

Did you jumper across the remote volume control on J4 pins 1 and 2? Without it, the amp will not receive a signal. Probably should jumper it with a resistor so the volume isn't full on. Maybe a 5k ish resistor.

#3 2 years ago

You might need to replace sockets if they are SCANBE brand.

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Did you jumper across the remote volume control on J4 pins 1 and 2? Without it, the amp will not receive a signal. Probably should jumper it with a resistor so the volume isn't full on. Maybe a 5k ish resistor.

I haven't done that one yet, I wasn't aware of that one. Thanks for the tip.

Quoted from Tuukka:

You might need to replace sockets if they are SCANBE brand.

Yeah, I did order a new 6802 and will drop new sockets on it once it arrives.

#5 2 years ago

Sorry, I assumed you were testing on the bench. If you are testing in a game, the volume control in the cabinet will do the job.

Check that the cabinet volume control is working by measuring the resistance across J4 pins 1 and 2. You should get close to zero ohms with the pot to one side and 5 or 10k with it to the other (I can’t remember the size of that pot).

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Sorry, I assumed you were testing on the bench. If you are testing in a game, the volume control in the cabinet will do the job.
Check that the cabinet volume control is working by measuring the resistance across J4 pins 1 and 2. You should get close to zero ohms with the pot to one side and 5 or 10k with it to the other (I can’t remember the size of that pot).

Sure thing, thanks for clarifying. I did confirm that cab volume control is working properly. I get the expected resistance readings at the pot itself, and at the connector. (This one is 5k).

#7 2 years ago

On these system 3-4 sound boards (not system 6 BTW) the two 4050 buffer chips are blown like 90% of the time when dealing with a non-functioning board. Try replacing those.

#8 2 years ago

Finally got a new 6802 in, and that seemed to fix the issue. On to the next thing!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 130.00
Electronics
KAHR.US Circuits
Electronics
Playfields
Troxel Repair
Playfields
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
$ 150.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop
Displays
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Tools
Pincoder Store
Tools
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/time-warp-system-6-sound-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.