• Bent is beautiful 8 votes
    62%
  • Straight and Narrow only, please 3 votes
    23%
  • I swing both ways 2 votes
    15%

(13 votes)

#1 1 year ago

My Time Warp came with banana flippers, as it should, and I love their uniqueness, but... now that I have a little experience under the table I realize it would be very easy to switch them to straight flippers. Is the game easier/funner with regular flippers? I'm curious how other owners run...

#2 1 year ago

Barry Oursler said in his topcast interview that the last 2000 or so left the factory with straight, and it was designed with straight in mind. Mike Stroll (pres of WMS at the time) insisted on the curved bats because of the disco fever success.... He also later on wanted every game to be like Black Knight (2 level) instead of mixing it up.

I think it's a novelty pin with the curved flippers and a serious pin you can play with the straight. I had straight on mine (sold earlier this year after owning for 19 years or so)

#3 1 year ago

Time Warp is my first machine. It came with straight flippers and I knew nothing other.

After looking around I found it also had been produced with curved flippers. So I set out to get another machine that I got as a project.

I plan to put this machine back together with curved flippers and have them side by side.

-Mike

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

and it was designed with straight in mind.

Very interesting, I had not heard that before. (though I knew it was sold both ways). Barry's the guy, for me, so I guess I do have to try it with straight flippers!

#5 1 year ago

I had curved on mine. Loved how with the right shot and spin you could pretty much sweep both sets of drops.

Didn’t know it was designed with straight in mind. Interesting.

#6 1 year ago

Mine came with curved flippers as well. I think you should go that way. I actually wish we could get the blue boot/covers vs yellow that they have as they were meant to be blue per the original flyer.

I did at one time switch them to straight, but after fixing things, searching pinside and reading posts... I kept hearing Vid1900's voice in my head - they were meant to be curved. LOL

Now I am waiting for vid1900 to chime in.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-time-warp-williams-1979-1980#post-2857002

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lets-do-the-time-warp-clubagain/page/3#post-4382830

Vid1900:

The curved flippers (they were never called banana flippers by Williams) are the only way to spin the ball and blast all 8 targets at once.

You can never do it when anyone is watching, because they would cream their jeans.

or

The regulars won't do the roundhouse spin trick where the ball knocks all the targets down in a single loop.

I like the challenge of having something different vs just another Italian Bottom game.

But it's a quick fix for whoever you sell it to to put back right.

Do you have the ROMs that fix the sound bug?

------

That all being said, I don't know that I have ever hit all of them in one shot. LOL!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 130.00
Electronics
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/time-warp-flipper-poll- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.