(Topic ID: 86409)

Time to retire from Pinball (Inc.) Ramp manufacturing. It's been a blast.

By PinballInc

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 213 posts
  • 126 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 months ago by northvibe
  • Topic is favorited by 23 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

bert-ernie-galz-2.jpg
    pinball-inc.jpg
    47E86C46-44D2-41B5-810868DD17F57FB3.jpg
    There are 213 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
    #151 10 years ago

I would likely guess that prices will go up, not down with a new owner. Oil prices are getting stupidly high around the world. I'm sure all these new 3D printers will help out increase the demand for oil. Also everything else is going up year after year.

#152 10 years ago
    Quoted from cardfelon:

The center ramp in WHO dunnit is injection molded and not vacuum formed.

Thanks for the feedback.

Does that mean a repro is highly unlikely from any manufacturer in the future?

#153 10 years ago
    Quoted from greatwichjohn:

Oil prices are getting stupidly high around the world

Has anyone noticed, everything is getting stupidly high lately... been to the grocery store.

#154 10 years ago
    Quoted from xfassa:

Thanks for the feedback.

Does that mean a repro is highly unlikely from any manufacturer in the future?

Can't really provide an answer for that. Who knows the original mold may be out there and somebody may run them? But the cost to build an injection mold that size would be around $15-20K

#155 10 years ago

When would the time frame be for the WCS ramps? Will they have the decals or just the plain ramp.

#156 10 years ago

I first talked to James about 10 or so years ago about Bad Cats ramps. I think, at that time, possibly Phoebe and myself were the only ones who owned that pin on the better times on RGP. After talking, just for a few minutes, it was Very apparent that making quality ramps was easier said then done. Legal issues, licences, dealing with Williams, mean gene the dancing machine, molds, the " Blunder from Down Under", and on and on. Again.... easier said then done. While I am sad to see him go, he was both a class act and had an unreal passion for quality products. I'm happy for him to go out on top. I've read thru this whole thread, and while I'm real sure we all still want Ramps made for pin blah blah, before he turns the lights out for the last time, couldn't we all stand still, if just for a second, and instead of wanting ramps, yet again for pin " blah blah", just stand back, and applaud what he has already acoumplished for the hobby? Thank You James! And best of luck in the next stage if whatever life finds your way!~SpOoKy

#157 10 years ago
    Quoted from PinballInc:

We shall see, we shall see.

Yellow with a special run of clear ?

#158 10 years ago
    Quoted from marksf123:

When would the time frame be for the WCS ramps? Will they have the decals or just the plain ramp.

Ditto, for me.....

#159 10 years ago

Ramps for the next 2 projects (plus some extras) were delivered today. As usual, quality product and expert packing. Thanks James. What are we going to do without you?

Steve (in Escalon, CA)

#160 10 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

Ditto, for me.....

100x ditto for me.

#161 10 years ago
    Quoted from Steve_in_Escalon:

Ramps for the next 2 projects (plus some extras) were delivered today. As usual, quality product and expert packing. Thanks James. What are we going to do without you?
    Steve (in Escalon, CA)

Hey Steve....what are the next two projects?

#162 10 years ago

received TAF & TOM ramps

#163 10 years ago
    Quoted from Kcpinballfan:

I ordered some taxi ramps from him and just received them and I was expecting great ramps that look new, these ramps have a couple of pretty good gouges in them and quite a bit of scuffs on them. The decals mainly the departure decal just doesn't fit right and I had to pull it off and put it back on several times and it just doesn't look good. I don't think I can take out the gouges with flame polishing. These are the first ramps I've bought and I can say for certainty that this is not a very good first impression.

And THIS I will not miss. Those who think Pinside is the customer service department for all pinball part suppliers.

Jon , as I told you when you finally contacted me please send the ramps back and we will make sure that you are satisfied. We even reimburse for your return shipping cost. For all the years we've been shipping ramps, with just a few exceptions, I've made sure I was the one putting the final product in the box to be shipped so that I was the final quality control. Unfortunately I've had a lot of distractions in the last two weeks so I was not directly involved with a lot of the shipments lately. This may have given way for some recent shipments to go astray. At the end of the day, we will make it right.

Jon, in the future please contact the companies direct. Many do not ever get on forums.

Thanks,
    James

#164 10 years ago

Thanks for being that service and standard for quality.

#165 10 years ago
    Quoted from PinballInc:

After 35 years of being in the pinball business and almost 13 years of Pinball Inc manufacturing quality replacement ramps for pinball machines I have decided to retire from the ramp manufacturing business. It is time to pursue other projects, other interests and other matters.
    There are currently six new projects which we are working on that I have promised to complete so I will continue until such time they are completed. I estimate these projects should be completed in 6 to 10 months, my goal is to be done by the end of 2014. We will attend two more shows this year, next months Allentown Show and the Chicago Expo.
    At this time it has not been determined what will become of the ramp manufacturing business of Pinball Inc. There are options/offers being considered which may or may not continue the manufacturing of ramps. If this happens we will update with any development at the appropriate time. In the meantime current inventories will be sold as before but will likely not be re-stocked so as the inventory sells off the stock might be NLA unless other options with the manufacturing are determined.
    It’s been a great experience and I enjoyed it immensely. In the 12 years+ we’ve shipped out over 30,000 ramps, over 5000 last year alone ( a new record). It’s a good feeling to know that we’ve help many people repair/restore their machines. The ramp business has allowed me to meet many great people in the community, many of which are now very close friends, for that I am forever grateful.
    I’ve always wanted to go out on top and under my own terms and now’s the time. Regardless of the outcome of the ramp business, Pinball Inc (and I) will remain at some capacity in the Pinball community.
    Thanks everyone!!
    James Loflin
    Pinball Inc.

*Crazy* will not be missed. Ramp (re)manufacturing is not that hard, and certainly doesn't need all the drama Pinball Inc has brought.

#166 10 years ago
    Quoted from shakethatmachine:

*Crazy* will not be missed. Ramp (re)manufacturing is not that hard, and certainly doesn't need all the drama Pinball Inc has brought.

So crazy easy there are tons of people doing it.

#167 10 years ago

Yeah it's child's play making thicker than original, crystal clear, perfectly fitting ramps for dozens of machines and then promptly getting them to customers. I'm sure you could do it in your backyard shed.

And "drama"... puh-leez. I've seen more drama in google cooking groups.

#168 10 years ago

This type of post is not need here. why bag someone for just letting us all know his future plans, but on the upside, it's great to here that we have a new supplier "SHAKETHATMACHINE RAMPS" 2 hour turn-a-round service, cool.

#171 10 years ago

Do you guys just skim over posts, I gave a review of my first dealings with this company. My intention was always to contact pinballinc after I received these ramps but I also was gonna post a review to. Some people like to read reviews to make informed decisions about buying products, that's the nature of the beast. You can find thousands of posts on pinside of reviews for anything Pinball. I still stand by my statement, the ramps I received were not up to a standard I was looking for, does that mean they are all like that? Absolutely not but I am 0 for 1 on satisfaction of these particular ramps. If I was happy with my purchase I would have raved in this same thread but I guess that's OK?

People here hold James on a very high pedestal as you can see from all the thumbs downers.
    This is in spite of the fact James and Pinball Inc. haven't produced a new ramp in quite some time.

#172 10 years ago

I also don't appreciate you posting my full name on this forum.

I would not either. Would recommend the OP to edit his own post.

#173 10 years ago
    Quoted from karmalord:

Be glad yours were even available for purchase at all. Many of us are still waiting for ramps that may never come.

so if it wasnt coming, i.e. no longer available. wouldnt you be entitled to a refund? whats the deal there.

#174 10 years ago
    Quoted from PinballInc:

And THIS I will not miss. Those who think Pinside is the customer service department for all pinball part suppliers.
    Jon, as I told you when you finally contacted me please send the ramps back and we will make sure that you are satisfied. We even reimburse for your return shipping cost. For all the years we've been shipping ramps, with just a few exceptions, I've made sure I was the one putting the final product in the box to be shipped so that I was the final quality control. Unfortunately I've had a lot of distractions in the last two weeks so I was not directly involved with a lot of the shipments lately. This may have given way for some recent shipments to go astray. At the end of the day, we will make it right.
    Jon, in the future please contact the companies direct. Many do not ever get on forums.
    Thanks,
    James

Posting a customer's full name on internet is really bad form.

#175 10 years ago
    Quoted from RustyLizard:

+1.
    Very bad form.

#176 10 years ago

Posting a review of a company before contacting them to resolve the issues is in my opinion worse form. If your unhappy with the product you receive contact company immediately if there are any issues getting the problem resolved THEN post your review

#177 10 years ago
    Quoted from Plungemaster:

Thanks for all the work people enjoyed off.
    But..... I think you got out right at time. 3d printing real close now to being normal. People will print their own ramps at home soon.
    Wish you luck with your new projects!

3d printers do not have anywhere near the resolution or durability to be viable as a pinball ramp, and it's not even close. 3d printing high quality pinball ramps are not on the foreseeable horizon.

#178 10 years ago

If you don't have like me giving my impression of the first time I've ordered from you then don't come on the forum(it's exactly what a forum is intended for). That's business, you have to take the good with the bad, I didn't say anything derogatory about you just giving a review and a first impression about my order. Please don't monitor my posting habits and I also don't appreciate you posting my full name on this forum. You can use me as an example of why you're happy retiring but I think you need to go back and read my post and realize it was meant as nothing more than a review for others that don't know about your company. You sell a product and I am a customer of your product, I respect your opinion but it's very bad pool to piss on the same stomer base that's afforded you with your living and in turn your retirement. Good luck in your retirement and I'm sorry you have to put up with such unruly customers.

Sorry Jon, I was speaking tongue and cheek, that's what a "wink" is there to indicate. I'm sorry that I put your name up, I'm not one to hide behind an anonymous screen name. Never have, never will, so sometimes I forget that a lot of people do want to hide their real name.

Just like you wrote a review, it's my right to respond to your review. Which I did so that you would be assured that your issue would be resolved. I don't see where I was adversarial at all.

I don't follow your posting patterns at all, I don't have a clue whatever gave you that idea. You posted on a thread which I started which has NOTHING to do with purchase reviews. Why didn't just start a new "my first purchase from Pinball Inc. review" thread? You seem to be the thin skinned one. Maybe you should evaluate your own inner self when it comes to forum decorum.

It would be one thing to write a "review" once the issue was able to be researched to see if we could resolve it. It's another to post on the forum BEFORE you even try to contact the supplier. That is NOT what a forum is supposed to be about. A review should be the full story, not just the knee jerk reaction "I got a product and I'm pissed so I'm going to slam the company on a forum before I even try to get the problem resolve". The world is not perfect, neither are we. Mistakes happen, but when they do happen by us we always make good. For all we know the damage may have been caused in shipping.

My main issue, why didn't you write a follow up telling everyone that once you contacted me that I immediately responded and took action to resolve the matter? That is what I call poor form.

I've edited your full name out, unfortunately your "quote" keeps the name installed. Hoist by ones own petard.

Cheers,
    James Loflin
    Pinball Inc.

#179 10 years ago
    Quoted from ledge:

so if it wasnt coming, i.e. no longer available. wouldnt you be entitled to a refund? whats the deal there.

Refund for what? We have NEVER taken pre-orders. We have NEVER taken a dime before we finished a product and have it available. EVERY product we've ever made was done on our dime and we took the risk. I do NOT believe in the "pay us first" business model. That's the deal here.

#180 10 years ago
    Quoted from PinballInc:

... I'm not one to hide behind an anonymous screen name. Never have, never will, so sometimes I forget that a lot of people do want to hide their real name.

If you have a business you really shouldn't, otherwise it's an option.

Quoted from PinballInc:

would be one thing to write a "review" once the issue was able to be researched to see if we could resolve it. It's another to post on the forum BEFORE you even try to contact the supplier. That is NOT what a forum is supposed to be about.
    My main issue, why didn't you write a follow up telling everyone that once you contacted me that I immediately responded and took action to resolve the matter? That is what is poor form.
    I've edited your full name out, unfortunately your "quote" keeps the name installed. Hoist by ones own petard.
    Cheers,
    James Loflin
    Pinball Inc.

I have to agree with you and had thought, by his review, he had unsuccessfully. I should have known better.

#181 10 years ago

Amazing how many non bright business folks seem to be out there. The only right answer on a forum is to say "please contact me to resolve".
    Nothing else! Between the other bizarre thread and this, I for one would never do business with this Co.

#182 10 years ago

You're calling the write up I did about Python Anghelo bizarre? If that's the case I for sure am glad you would never do business with us.

#183 10 years ago

Of course not. That was nice and thank god shows your a great guy. The thread on flying pigs which like this one shows your a great guy that has no business training.

#184 10 years ago
    Quoted from PinballInc:

After 35 years ....

Congrats on your retirement plan! hope all goes well.

It was a pleasure getting to meet you at the shows. I've bought new ramps for all my games that you produced, and have spread the word about how nice they are. I also enjoyed seeing all the products you have added, and thinking about how many games have been saved from blown-out ramp issues.

best wishes,
    (insert something good Aussie-esk here)

#185 10 years ago
    Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Of course not. That was nice and thank god shows your a great guy. The thread on flying pigs which like this one shows your a great guy that has no business training.

Gotcha, it helps if you are a bit more specific. After 35 years doing it myself I didn't think it was worth the trouble to get any training as I seemed to have done okay without it. Don't really buy into that kind of stuff anyway, I've always been a "do what I like and say what I think" kind of person.

#186 10 years ago

Hey, I don't hide behind an anonymous screen name, my name is Ed Coolidge and I live in Oakland, CA
    Just got another perfect ramp from you in the mail Friday, Thanks again!

#187 10 years ago

I went ahead and pulled my posts, I'll agree with one thing, I shouldn't have written my impression about your company in your thread. I also wasn't gonna write a follow up because I don't have the new ramps yet only an email. Just to let you know I'm far from thin skinned, your posts have a very condescending tone to them. I don't anonymously hide behind my screen name but it should be up to me whether I want that information known.

Just a question. What do you think my review of your company and customer service will be after your responses back to me?

Good luck in your future endeavors and good luck on your closing down sale

#188 10 years ago
    Quoted from PinballInc:

.., I've always been a "do what I like and say what I think" kind of person.

maybe this is your theme song?

#189 10 years ago
    Quoted from scott_freeman:

maybe this is your theme song?

pinball-inc.jpgpinball-inc.jpg
    #190 10 years ago

James says he's going to make things right, and then the customer comes back and complains again. That kinda cleared up the whole "who's right who's wrong" in this situation for me.

#191 10 years ago
    Quoted from chadderack:

James says he's going to make things right, and then the customer comes back and complains again. That kinda cleared up the whole "who's right who's wrong" in this situation for me.

How am I complaining? I pulled my posts down and asked a simple question. I wasn't trying to point out who's right or wrong. Only mistake I made was posting my initial impression of pinballinc on this thread and I agreed I shouldn't have, so I deleted it and yes I jumped the gun cause I saw so many fluff posts about how great the ramps were. If you or anyone else wants to discuss the situation take it to pm with me and I'll gladly explain. My feelings probably aren't gonna change its the proverbial biting the hand that feeds. I owned up to my mistake but that doesn't mean pinballinc didn't make any mistakes with his posts. What's done is done, it's not a matter of who was right or wrong.

#192 10 years ago

How am I complaining? I pulled my posts down and asked a simple question.

Well yeah, you pulled those posts. James responded in good faith to your issues and assured you everything would be OK... and then you posted that extra complaint and it made you look like you had some other motive.

#193 10 years ago
    Quoted from chadderack:

Well yeah, you pulled those posts. James responded in good faith to your issues and assured you everything would be OK... and then you posted that extra complaint and it made you look like you had some other motive.

No other motive, what I posted was in response to his post and putting my full name out there. That one has been pulled down. No need to fuel an already burning fire. My posts are deleted have a good day.

#194 10 years ago
    Quoted from RustyLizard:

yeah... ummm... ohhh... never mind

i got some killer ramps in the mail this week. dang those puppies are big !
    have new homework assignments to get them in.
    can't wait

#195 10 years ago

No other motive, what I posted was in response to his post and putting my full name out there. That one has been pulled down. No need to fuel an already burning fire. My posts are deleted have a good day.

Fair enough. Time to move on to more important things in life....like life itself.

Cheers!

#196 10 years ago
    Quoted from retired_user_101:

yeah... ummm... ohhh... never mind

I am not defending the practice of trashing someone's business online in any way. Two wrongs don't make a right. Customer should always give the business a chance to make it right first but when you are in business you put your name on the line. When you are a customer you should be able to expect some level of privacy.

#197 10 years ago
    Quoted from RustyLizard:

I am not defending the practice of trashing someone's business online in any way. Two wrongs don't make a right. Customer should always give the business a chance to make it right first but when you are in business you put your name on the line. When you are a customer you should be able to expect some level of privacy.

i'm making fun of myself, because i use my name

#198 10 years ago
    Quoted from retired_user_101:

i'm making fun of myself, because i use my name

I'm a little slow. Too much Easter ham.

#199 10 years ago

Hoppy Easter, from Sesame Street

bert-ernie-galz-2.jpgbert-ernie-galz-2.jpg

#200 10 years ago
    Quoted from PinballInc:

Refund for what? We have NEVER taken pre-orders. We have NEVER taken a dime before we finished a product and have it available. EVERY product we've ever made was done on our dime and we took the risk. I do NOT believe in the "pay us first" business model. That's the deal here.

good stuff... sorry to see you bow out.

There are 213 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/time-to-retire-from-pinball-inc-ramp-manufacturing-its-been-a-blast/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.