Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 119 posts
  • 56 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by underlord
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

totinos_pepperoni_party_pizza_01.jpg
    IMG_1852.png
    cutoffffffffffffffffffff.gif
    chuck_down.gif
    WHEN_I_TURN_DOWN.gif
    image.jpg
    lol.gif
    T2-says-DOWN.gif
    cool-story-brto.gif
    uncle-sam.jpg
    dv1.gif
    maxresdefault.jpg
    There are 119 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 8 years ago

I am sure that this topic has been discussed before.
    But, there is now a push to make Pinside a more friendly place
    Be nice to the (unpaid) moderators
    No boobie pictures
    Try to keep on topic

This is all great

To keep in line with this new push for niceness, surely we can do away with down voting?
    Keep the up voting , as it sends a positive message
    But people do use down votes to poke the user, not the post
    I cannot see a need for this

#3 8 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

No boobie pictures

Why not?

#4 8 years ago

The mod team has talked about this a few times. It was revamped a few months back and it's not thumbs up or down any more.

It's an agree or disagree. Not a down vote in a negative connotation at all. People disagree and that's all it's meant to signify.

#5 8 years ago

Thumbs down on no boobie pictures.

#6 8 years ago

So in the future, we should all just agree to disagree?

Everybody please thumbs-up this post so I know you all agree with me and I feel better about myself and then get an over-inflated image of self-worth.

Or something.

#7 8 years ago

So... you want this to be Facebook?

Without DOWN VOTES... People will say whatever they want and will never know if they pissed someone off. I need down votes to keep me in check when I am drunk and stupid lol. Or to let someone know I disagree with them... We need the down votes to keep this place clean. It's the only way you can slap someone in the face for being bad.

#8 8 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

Thumbs down on no boobie pictures.

Thanks, buddy!

#9 8 years ago

As discussed over and over the down vote shows you disagree with something said. It's a way of getting around creating a whole new post to say why you disagree with something, which is more confrontational.

#10 8 years ago

I also think you should be able to down vote yourself. So you can tell people you are aware you are being an asshole. lol

#11 8 years ago

To keep Pinside a positive place we need downvotes to discourage all of those negative people with some good old fashioned public shaming.

#12 8 years ago
    Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

So... you want this to be Facebook?
    Without DOWN VOTES... People will say whatever they want and will never know if they pissed someone off. I need down votes to keep me in check when I am drunk and stupid lol. Or to let someone know I disagree with them... We need the down votes to keep this place clean. It's the only way you can slap someone in the face for being bad.

If you disagree with me , fine

What annoys me is lurkers who never post (therefore expressing their opinion) pushing the down vote button

#13 8 years ago

We need a ambivalent vote.

maxresdefault.jpgmaxresdefault.jpg

#14 8 years ago

If we took them away we wouldn't see the "thumbs down" tantrums by some of the supposed grown-ups on here. @Gecko, I take it that they missed the memo, lol.

#15 8 years ago

YES WITH THE DOWN!

dv1.gifdv1.gif

#16 8 years ago

I also think you should be able to down vote yourself. So you can tell people you are aware you are being an asshole. lol

Solid point. We actually need to have three options: Upvote. Downvote. Asshole.

Imagine how popular I'd be then!

#17 8 years ago

I am sure that this topic has been discussed before.
    But, there is now a push to make Pinside a more friendly place
    Be nice to the (unpaid) moderators
    No boobie pictures
    Try to keep on topic
    This is all great
    To keep in line with this new push for niceness, surely we can do away with down voting?
    Keep the up voting , as it sends a positive message

what people should not be able to disagree? Thats all a thumbs down is.

#18 8 years ago
    Quoted from NJGecko:

The mod team has talked about this a few times. It was revamped a few months back and it's not thumbs up or down any more.
    It's an agree or disagree. Not a down vote in a negative connotation at all. People disagree and that's all it's meant to signify.

When you hover over the buttons, you get pop up text that literally says "upvote" and "downvote" =P

#19 8 years ago

What annoys me is lurkers who never post (therefore expressing their opinion) pushing the down vote button

The down vote is their opinion, in the most succinct form possible here. And it won't get you thread kicked.

#20 8 years ago
    Quoted from NJGecko:

It is big, red and has a '-' in front of a number
    Seems negative to me

#21 8 years ago

Who cares? Some numbnuts I've never heard of doesn't like what I said? Boo hoo. It doesn't accomplish anything, mean anything, so why should I possibly care?

On the other hand, when some moron turns out to be a homophobic racist jerk, and the community dogpiles them with downvotes, it sends a real message, and I like that.

#22 8 years ago

I upvote just to let person know I read if I don't directly qoute or sometimes if I just like or highly agree. I cant think of a time I used downpost. But just suggest change and you will get down posts. Also if you tell folks LEDs suck you will get em.

Some people are so sensitive!!

May the thumbs slways be in your ass thumb downers.

#23 8 years ago

I can understand both sides of the issue, maybe if the up / down vote feature remained - an idea is the person giving the up or down votes has a counter on their profile so if they end being a serial downvoter they are highlighted. So when you open the counter to see who is downvoting their little picture has a red ring around it ???. It might make them more accountable for being a serial downvoter.

as for what makes a serial downvoter: maybe a person that down votes more than up votes, or downvotes more than makes posts (contribution to the forum) or a combination of the 2. Might help mods quickly identify trouble makers.

ready for the downvotes

#24 8 years ago

Downvotes saves you the time of having a pointless debate or fight with someone...it simply says "I don't agree with what you said" without muddling up the thread with more BS.

#25 8 years ago

I almost never downvote because everybody's entitled to their own opinion...even when it's wrong.

I only downvote when somebody's acting like a total douchebag or just to bust balls, as I did on the OP. I mean...if you're going to post a thread about abolishing downvotes, you gotta expect a ton of downvotes just to tweak you.

#26 8 years ago

I think I'm living proof that downvotes help you change your behavior. As much as trolling can be fun at times, it gets old real fast knowing your pissing people off or really unpopular. Kaneda says keep em!

#27 8 years ago
    #28 8 years ago
    Quoted from kaneda:

I think I'm living proof that downvotes help you change your behavior. As much as trolling can be fun at times, it gets old real fast knowing your pissing people off or really unpopular. Kaneda says keep em!

So you finally admit you were just trolling. And here all along, we thought you were just stupid.

#29 8 years ago

O-din...it's very difficult to find the posts for me to upvote without the dog.

Just sayin'.

#30 8 years ago

Man, how do you post something like that and not expect the downvotes. I was laughing coming just trying to imagine how many downvotes you already got. I underestimated.

Quoted from kaneda:

We will keep down voting and let you know one day.

#31 8 years ago
    #32 8 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I almost never downvote because everybody's entitled to their own opinion...even when it's wrong.
    I only downvote when somebody's acting like a total douchebag or just to bust balls, as I did on the OP. I mean...if you're going to post a thread about abolishing downvotes, you gotta expect a ton of downvotes just to tweak you.

I expected the negative votes
    I am prepared to stick my head up and voice an opinion
    I am not going to cry because a bunch of Americans disagree with me

#33 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Every now and then I like to use an Avatar that is pinball related...

Dude...I really don't think I need to tell you: What activity do dogs who chomp cigars love above all else?

Pinball.

(Drops mic.)

#34 8 years ago

Does it have to be an American thing?

#35 8 years ago

I mostly lurk. But I'm glad there is a way to express my agreement (or lack thereof), without cluttering the thread.

#36 8 years ago
    Quoted from Hougie:

If it helps, I am an American but I have permanent residency in Australia.

#37 8 years ago

am not going to cry because a bunch of Americans disagree with me

Wait! There, I disagreed with you too.

#38 8 years ago

If it helps, I am an American but I have permanent residency in Australia.

Wanting to be cool does not count

#39 8 years ago

I don't need Pinside to become the T-ball baseball team where at the end of the year, everyone gets a trophy, whether you won or not. Or where half of a class in school makes the honor roll now because it makes more kids feel good about themselves.

I say grow a pair. I've been down voted before and probably deserved it. Who gives a shit!!!

#40 8 years ago

have to agree, I am not a fan of the country versus country thing

#41 8 years ago
    #42 8 years ago

Gay guys and 20% of women don't like them.

#43 8 years ago

I was stationed in Canada during the Vietnam war , does that make me an American.

#44 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Gay guys and 20% of women don't like them.

Ohhhh...they meant ACTUAL boobs . Yeah...I'm okay without those. I can just look in the mirror.

#45 8 years ago

Wanting to be cool does not count

cool story brocool story bro

#46 8 years ago

Not in THIS country Jack.

Those AMERICANS make all of your pinball machines. Oh, that is unless your still holding out hope for TBL.

#47 8 years ago

uncle-sam.jpguncle-sam.jpg

#48 8 years ago
    Quoted from Hougie:

I have no problem with Australia. I love Arnold Schwarzenegger and Mozart!

#49 8 years ago
    Quoted from kaneda:

For the record, I down voted you because you (1) once again made a topic about yourself and (2) you're still referring to yourself in the third person.

See....down voting has it's upside!

#50 8 years ago

No way, down voting is good and should stay.
    The positive aspect of negative thinking!

There are 119 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/time-to-remove-down-votes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.