Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by mcklit
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

I have been trying to troubleshoot my Time Machine ball trough. I am getting good voltage at the coil and the transistor is testing in spec, but the machine doesn't fire the coil hard enough to launch the ball. I have swapped the coil for a known good one and the behavior continues. Is it possible to have a transistor test in spec and still have issues? Is there an IC that isn't clocking the right strength to the coil? Spit balling ideas at this point. Thx

#2 7 years ago

mechanical issue? - plunger/link/coil sleeve all good?

#3 7 years ago

The logic reply would be to test the physical items in the ball trough assembly. I mean - if the electronics test out fine then you would assume that it's a physical thing that is making the launcher week.

I don't know how the assembly is put together on Time Machine but it should include spring, sleeve, coil stop, coil mount and stuff like that. Have you checked that the physical components that make ud the ball trough can move unrestricted?

Another question - when you say that the transistor test in spec - how did you measure that? In board testing or did you take the transistor out? What did you test for and how could be interesting to know.

#4 7 years ago

Well, to give some more background. I tested the transistor on the board and didn't remove it. The symptom began as a slightly weak coil, and when I went to replace it, I put another coil in and didn't realize that the diode was reversed. Whatever that diode was supposed to protect might have been damaged. It has a fresh coil and sleeve and seems to travel freely. I am confused, because I am still getting 40V at the coil and it seems like it is a weak pulse.

#5 7 years ago

Ok - if the diode was reversed I would start by looking at the transistor.

Doing on board testing is not completely reliable as other components might affect how it test out. If you are ok with soldering I would take it out and test it again. And if you have a known working spare you might put that in instead. If you do not have a spare you could consider swapping the transistor with one of the others you might have on the board!

A faulty transistor could also explain the weak pulse. I'm guessing the transistor you are talking about is acting as a switch for the 40v to the coil?

#6 7 years ago

Check for bad solder joints at the connector on the driver board which operates the coil.

#7 7 years ago

Just swapped the Tip122 and it was good, no change in symptoms. Ken, I will try the joint connectors next.

#8 7 years ago

Problem solved: Turns out that Time Machine uses the trough switch to act like an EOS for this coil. Because the switch was set too sensitive, it was cutting the power to the coil before the ball could make it into the shooter lane. So, an adjustment to the switch was all that was needed. Thanks for all the replies.

#9 7 years ago

Thanks for sharing. This is good knowledge and a simple thing to test out.

Nice to know your problem is solved

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clinton Twp, MI
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/time-machine-weak-trough-coil-not-able-to-launch-the-ball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.