(Topic ID: 241661)

Time Machine resurrection project (IT LIVES!)

By gdonovan

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 114 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by gdonovan
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190529_171845 (resized).jpg
20190526_160635_resized (resized).jpg
20190524_160656_resized (resized).jpg
20190523_173113_resized (resized).jpg
20190523_161503_resized (resized).jpg
20190523_154732_resized (resized).jpg
TM_wiring_example (resized).png
20190519_150356_resized (resized).jpg
20190519_141549_resized (resized).jpg
20190519_140932_resized (resized).jpg
20190519_140540_resized (resized).jpg
20190519_151710_resized (resized).jpg
20190519_123954_resized (resized).jpg
20190518_143757_resized (resized).jpg
Time_Machine253_r (resized).jpg
Time_Machine252_r (resized).jpg
There are 114 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 4 years ago
Quoted from pb456:

Do send me the scans if you're able - much appreciated!

PM me an e-mail and I can send them out, waiting to hear back from IPBD.

#102 4 years ago
Quoted from MarAlb:

You are using the testrom in-game. Probably you had the coindoor closed this time; then the memory protect feature kicks in. The testrom will no longer pass the memory test as it is unable to write a certain part.

I bow to you sir and your knowledge! The one small connector I did not disconnect is indeed for the door switch / protection circuit.

#103 4 years ago

Still picking away in between other jobs- Replaced the last of the incandescent bulbs on the playfield, reinstalled the plastics, did a quick cleaning of the playfield surface, swapped out some of the elastics (I have a new set in a bag but keep some used ones around for testing), replaced some backbox lamp sockets that were fussy, fixed a broken wire for one of the switches, tweaked the inner backbox door so it did not sag, touched up the backglass that had one or two display rub spots.

Decided to pop out the speaker panel, strip it and give it a rattle can chrome paint job. I have used this stuff in the past and it does a pretty fair job.

I'm no worse off than I was before if I don't like it.

20190523_154732_resized (resized).jpg20190523_154732_resized (resized).jpg20190523_161503_resized (resized).jpg20190523_161503_resized (resized).jpg
#104 4 years ago

Much better.

20190523_173113_resized (resized).jpg20190523_173113_resized (resized).jpg
#105 4 years ago

Display is in and looking good!

I do have to remount it up and to the left which is a slight disappointment, not sure why Rottendog does not provide a double pattern for installation.

NVRAM came in today, sadly does not seem compatible with the MPU and I'm back on the OEM chip and batteries.

As of today the machine is 100% mechanically back on its feet!

20190524_160656_resized (resized).jpg20190524_160656_resized (resized).jpg
#106 4 years ago

Anyone familiar with EPROMS?

I'm looking up the difference between 27CP128 and 27C128, the reason I'm looking is I'm thinking of updating the code from the first machine till it is the same as the second. The first machine has 2.3V and the second 2.4V.

The first machine has the original ROMS that I'd like to set aside, the top is 27CP128 and the lower is 27C256.

The reason I ask about the difference as I tried this a week or two ago replacing the top chip with a 27C128 and when I tried to boot the machine up one of the traces inside the EPROM actually started glowing! I shut it off quickly.

This morning I found the NSC data sheets and the only really difference between the two that I can find is the 27C has a faster access time and higher power consumption. Max power on the 27C is 360mW vs 55mW for the 27CP

Thoughts? Maybe I just had a bad chip?

#107 4 years ago

I think it was a bad chip- Today I burned the B5 bin file to a different 27C128 and for good measure doubled up the bin file and installed it on a 27C256.

No need, the new 27C128 worked perfect with no problems and it is now running same code as the newer one.

20190526_160635_resized (resized).jpg20190526_160635_resized (resized).jpg
#108 4 years ago

This will be wrap up for the week! I don't expect to go further on Time Machine for a few weeks as I'm digging into Hearts and Spades now that TM is working 100%. I'll be digging into Time Machine cosmetics after I finish with the EM.

Replaced the center blue square 50's stand up target with a new unit (wrong replacement was there) cleaned up some grounds and wiring, remounted the score display so it was indexed correct with the glass openings, installed the last of the LEDs that needed to be installed, installed some green and purple LED on the right side (still contemplating what to put under the Star Warp ramps) did some further cleaning on the playfield, tweaked some switches and the final issue was NVRAM.

I'd pull the ram, pull the batteries, install the NVRAM and on boot the machine would not be happy. The PIA lamp was flickering and so was the main displays. I tried this twice and this afternoon someone on the board indicated that the machine would have to be powered up 10-20 times before it would "catch" and be fine in their experience with DE machines. Worth a shot.

Before I did that I swapped out the ram but left the batteries in place and booted the machine, perfect! No problems noted.

Made some changes in settings, saved and shut down. Pulled the batteries out and everything is working perfect now.

One last shot before ambling off to my other project for a bit, doesn't look like the same game I picked up a month ago does it?

Vendor hat tip to ThePinballWizard, PBR, Great Plains Electronics and Comet Pinball.

Much thanks to the board members who helped me get this far.

20190529_171845 (resized).jpg20190529_171845 (resized).jpg

#109 4 years ago

Looking killer man!

#110 4 years ago
Quoted from BrewersArcade:

Looking killer man!

Thank you very much; even though I said I was going to leave it alone I'm waiting for stuff for Hearts and Spades... so.. Gave the playfield a light cleaning and wax tonight and installed the elastic kit and new flipper bats and tweaked the lighting. With the new rubber and fresh wax it has a notable increase in sizzle!

Added over 5 years ago:

This working project has been handed off to another Pinsider to complete!

Thanks for following; too many pins in my queue still.

1 year later
#111 3 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Still picking away in between other jobs- Replaced the last of the incandescent bulbs on the playfield, reinstalled the plastics, did a quick cleaning of the playfield surface, swapped out some of the elastics (I have a new set in a bag but keep some used ones around for testing), replaced some backbox lamp sockets that were fussy, fixed a broken wire for one of the switches, tweaked the inner backbox door so it did not sag, touched up the backglass that had one or two display rub spots.
Decided to pop out the speaker panel, strip it and give it a rattle can chrome paint job. I have used this stuff in the past and it does a pretty fair job.
I'm no worse off than I was before if I don't like it.[quoted image][quoted image]

Hey! Can you advise how did you take the speakers panel out and what chrome paint did you use? Thanks

#112 3 years ago
Quoted from FlashBFD:

Hey! Can you advise how did you take the speakers panel out and what chrome paint did you use? Thanks

The panel just lifts out after unplugging the speakers and lamps, the paint was a Duplicolor Chrome.

#113 3 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

The panel just lifts out after unplugging the speakers and lamps, the paint was a Duplicolor Chrome.

Do you have to unscrew screws that are all over chrome panel? What tool did you use? My Time machine arrived yesterday, these are my first steps in disassembling pinball Thanks in advance

#114 3 years ago
Quoted from FlashBFD:

Do you have to unscrew screws that are all over chrome panel? What tool did you use? My Time machine arrived yesterday, these are my first steps in disassembling pinball Thanks in advance

Yes to remove the speakers and center lens you have to remove several carriage bolts.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

There are 114 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/time-machine-resurrection-project/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.