(Topic ID: 242306)

Time Machine - PIA bad? Looking for better schematics...

By pb456

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by pb456
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0522 (resized).JPG
IMG_0525 (resized).JPG
IMG_0521 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pb456.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

Hi, thanks for reading!

Just got a TM, was working before it shipped, not now - what it's doing is it will start up, play the "Time Machine" song - just plays the words "Time Machine" and then no more sound, nothing on the displays. All the GI lighting is good.

Looking at the MPU board, looks like one of the PIA 6821s was replaced some time ago, as it was socketed, the others are not. Have replaced that socketed PIA with another, system status hasn't changed. Was going to socket those other PIA chips, but also wanted to look at the power side of things.

The trouble there is I can't read the scanned/photocopied manual on the IPDB site.

Does anyone have notes or a better schematic for the PSU board? What voltage levels should I be reading and where?

Thanks in advance!

#2 4 years ago

I'm getting 4.920 volts on the test point of the MPU board, I'm assuming it's good. Looks like the prior owner used a WMS system 9 PSU board.

1 week later
#5 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

How did you make out? The machine I picked up today had the factory manual with the fold out schematics and I can run them through the scanner at work and make a nice color pdf if need be.

Got 'er working ok, but display is borked up. The reason the game wouldn't boot was that SRAM chip - had legs bent under by previous owner.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Press on any IC's that are in IC sockets on the CPU board.
If that doesn't help, what do the LEDs on the CPU do when you turn on the game?

I got past that part - I'm wondering if I should put up a new thread as there's a new problem - display is scrambled. The two displays at the bottom are more legible, but top two aren't. It's not the display or the PSU, as I have new boards from Rottendog for each. I'm thinking it's something with the PIAs or maybe RAM?

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Agreed with the other fellow, make sure the red stripe is on pin one on board boards.
The ribbon cable will not be flat when installed but will twist 180 degrees.
Mine was on wrong and the displays were scrambled.

I'll try this tomorrow and see where it gets me. Thanks!

1 week later
#12 4 years ago

It's probably too much to post a video here, but I'll link one also from my onedrive account.

@pinballmaniac40

IMG_0521 (resized).JPGIMG_0521 (resized).JPGIMG_0522 (resized).JPGIMG_0522 (resized).JPGIMG_0525 (resized).JPGIMG_0525 (resized).JPG
#13 4 years ago

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AvCqcjWCTr808SPqi9W1aC079c8p

There's the link for the TM video as well as the pictures (originals).

1 week later
#14 4 years ago

Update: I got it.

Bad ribbon cable.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pb456.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/time-machine-pia-bad-looking-for-better-schematics?tu=pb456 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.