(Topic ID: 38672)

Time for another EM. Will it be Williams, Bally, or Sonic?

By EM-PINMAN

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Pin-it
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Time for another EM. Will it be Williams, Bally, or Sonic?”

• Bally - Mati Hari 10 votes
    27%
  • Bally - Delta Queen 4 votes
    11%
  • Bally - Amigo 2 votes
    5%
  • Bally - Slap Stick 0 votes
  • Williams - Triple Action 3 votes
    8%
  • Williams - Triple Strike 4 votes
    11%
  • Williams - Wild Card 2 votes
    5%
  • Sonic - Prospector 5 votes
    14%
  • I could care less about these choices as Gottlieb rules! ;-) 7 votes
    19%

(Multiple choice - 37 votes by 32 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

stanolliedance.gif
#1 11 years ago

Hey Guys.

Just sold my 1971 Gottlieb 4 Square so it's time for a keeper pin!

Gottlieb is out of the running for now as I am a big fan of Williams with that D.C. Power, have been since I was a kid. Gottlieb had the challenging games but I always felt Williams made the fun games for the family. I also have a Gottlieb but no Bally so I think it's time for one in the line up as I had fun with these machines too as a kid. Prospector was the only Sonic I played back in the day and loved it and it would offer variety as well in my arcade.

I have room for a single player or multiplayer. Right now I'm leaning towards Delta Queen and Triple Strike but never played either, and I would like to hear your thoughts on your choices and why.

A few things I have to consider is playability, availability, and price as I do not want to spend more than $600.00 for any of these titles. They can be non-working, complete, but cosmetically in good condition.

So here are the choices, please pick 2.

Bally:

*Mati Hari
*Delta Queen
*Amigo
*Slap Stick

Williams:

*Triple Action
*Triple Strike
*Wild Card

Sonic:

*Prospector

Choose wisely grasshopper!

Ken

#2 11 years ago

I've chosen Mata Hari purely bacause the EM version is quite rare, so would probably be the best purchase if all prices were the same...

#3 11 years ago

Yeah if you can get an EM Mata Hari thats the keeper

--Jeff

#4 11 years ago

Delta Queen has a very nice back glass - would look into it and see how it plays

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from HELLODEADCITY:

Delta Queen has a very nice back glass - would look into it and see how it plays

I like the Kickout Hole on the top left as it reminds me of Bow & Arrow and that was always a fun shot.

Ken

#6 11 years ago

Anything sonic but prospector is the best one

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

Yeah if you can get an EM Mata Hari thats the keeper

They have new Playfields at CPR now but not sure if they work for both the EM/SS versions.

Ken

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

I've chosen Mata Hari purely bacause the EM version is quite rare, so would probably be the best purchase if all prices were the same...

Last 2 I saw on Ebay sold for $1200.00 each and were is good condition which is not a bad price but with new Playfields available it might jack the price up on these units.

Ken

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from extraballingtmc:

Anything sonic but prospector is the best one

Love the whole Gold and Silver bonus gimmick as it made me feel like I had a chance to strike it rich on pinball when I was a kid, but the reality was the Operator was striking it rich off me and a few others!

Ken

#10 11 years ago

I'd go with Mata Hari - Drop Targets and nice artwork.
Second choice would be Wildcard as I like the layout and western theme.

#11 11 years ago

Mata Hari EM (Amigo as a backup) and Prospector.

#12 11 years ago

I have only played a SS matahari. Thought it was pretty fun. I bet the EM is even better!

#13 11 years ago

I have owned Prospector. Love L&H. Nice game....get it!

#14 11 years ago

How about Williams Aztec?

#15 11 years ago

I can still hear the bell(s) & score reels clanking away on Triple Action in my mind whenever I think back to playing pinball in the local laundromat in the mid 70's as a teenager.

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

Bally:

*Mata Hari

First choice -rare EM, cool- B/g playfield plus the story behind it is Margaretha Zelle (1876-1917) was born in the Netherlands and established herself as a successful exotic dancer, traveling all over Europe under the name Mata Hari. During WWI she consorted with high-ranking officers, both German and French, which ultimately led to her being executed as a spy. <IPDB> Mata Hari died during WWI rendering the inscription an anachronism for this game.

Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

Sonic:

*Prospector

2nd A game with Laurel and Hardy is game that you would not see that era too much now,seems like it would be dated but to those that remember I think can understand + its urethaned playfield is the durability factor! And Williams parts compatable.

#17 11 years ago

I see a Mata Hari S/S version for sale near me.

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from kwiKimart:

How about Williams Aztec?

Love Aztec!

But already have a Space Odyssey so the 2 games would be somewhat similar and for a 7 pin arcade I'm really looking for a machine that is totally different than what I already have.

Ken

#19 11 years ago

Mata Hari is very cool. Played both S/S & EM versions.

Passed on a s/s version a while back, still kicking myself for that...

Whichever way you go, you'll be happy I'm sure!

#20 11 years ago

I'd pick the Triple Strike. I think it has the best gameplay out of the group.

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

I see a Mata Hari S/S version for sale near me.

If only I were closer!

#22 11 years ago

Looks like it Mati Hari in the lead with a tie for 2nd place between Prospector and Triple Strike.

So far, so fun!

Ken

#23 11 years ago

1977 mata hari pinball game - $800 (northeast) SS model
philadelphia.craigslist.org link

#24 11 years ago

Go with The Boys!

stanolliedance.gifstanolliedance.gif

#25 11 years ago

Going to very difficult to find an EM Mata Hari, and almost impossible at $600, so I would go with the Sonic Prospector, excellent game!

#26 11 years ago

Hey,EM-Pinman

I know it is not on the list but you were talking about a Royal Flush not too long ago.
Check this playfield protection out! >>>> ebay.com link: Maresa Flush Pinball A Spanish version of a Gottlieb EM Royal Flush

#27 11 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

I know it is not on the list but you were talking about a Royal Flush not too long ago.

Hey Pin-it,

Prototype too, #5........Sweet!

I'll pass as I prefer my pinball language in English, to far, and too much $$ for me.

Ken

#29 11 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

I'll pass as I prefer my pinball language in English, to far, and too much $$ for me.

I agree ^^
But what an upgrade from the Urethane clear stand point.

#30 11 years ago

Ken

Quoted from Pin-it:But what an upgrade from the Urethane clear stand point.

Speaking of Urethane.

Man do I want this one! Starting price is right but it's way too far!

ebay.com link: itm

Well I'll just bide my time as EM's have started to spring up locally around here again.

Ken

#31 11 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

Man do I want this one! Starting price is right but it's way too far!

My brother was going to buy a Prospector a couple months back,but the funny thing is the husband was selling it was not telling his son he was going to sell it ,the wife was against it being sold thinking she was outta the loop too, so my brother after going to the house and getting it a lower price than what they were asking felt like a bad situation was starting to brew.
Wife and the son would be pissed and sad !!!, so after he talked to the owners he said it felt like they were going to keep it after all,but instead relisted it a week later again.
I see a divorce in the future if stuff like that is going on ^^^

#32 11 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

relisted it a week later again.

He should have snapped it up at that point as someone was going to end up buying it anyway.

Ken

#33 11 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

He should have snapped it up at that point as someone was going to end up buying it anyway.

Yeah but unfortunately he has a conscience, runs in the family.

Besides the parents are one thing ,but the son coming home from school and seeing it gone is another.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rehoboth, MA
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 24.98
Hardware
Gameroom Mods

$ 48.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.98
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/time-for-another-em-will-it-be-williams-bally-or-sonic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.