(Topic ID: 149171)

Time for an official pinball handicap system?

By Baiter

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 71 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Baiter
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

winlose_(resized).jpg
    There are 71 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 8 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

The biggest thing with handicapping individual games is the volatility of game scoring (as Jeff mentioned). It's impossible to create a handicapping system that works for all games with the vast breadth of games with linear scoring versus those games with more dynamic scoring opportunities.
    As far as PEPGA goes (PAPA's handicapping system back in the day), it developed a handicap based on league points earned, so the outcome of each game was normalized no matter what the game played happened to be.
    You can check out the old Flipside magazine (http://legacy.papa.org/flipside/v1i1.pdf) page 18 has some league standings from 1992 with the PEPGA averages for each player during the season.
    This would lend itself towards handicapping a group of players in a league by comparing their performance versus their expected performance.
    If there's a 40 game season, and Steve Epstein has a PEPGA of 5.33, there's an expectation that 213.20 would be his season total.
    You could then look at Tim Post who had a PEPGA of 3.56, and there would be an expectation that 142.40 would be his season total.
    PAPA could then use PEPGA to declare Tim the 'handicapped' winner of the season if he finished with 150 points, while Steve finished with 215 points.

That is an interesting handicapping variation. I'm not yet convinced that scoring is the best basis of handicapping, even though the stats say that it is a valid way to go. I lean toward multi-game match play, like the IFPA does, and like the NBA, MLB, and APA do.

#52 8 years ago

This is an amazing thread Baiter - I really appreciate all the work you've put into it.

Since I'm days behind on this, below is a brain dump of my thoughts:

I totally get the pool analogy of playing a series of games, but there is one unfortunate difference...in pool, games move faster when you're good. In pinball it's the opposite. Having an A play even 3 consecutive games against a lower tier player could be brutal for both involved. If the A player is playing well, it's going to be even more demoralizing than just losing once.

I do like the idea of having to plunge balls.

Handicapping does mess with the concept of WPPR rankings, but maybe there is a hybrid where your handicapped performance is what "wins the league", but your non-handicapped performance is what gets submitted to the IFPA? I tried something similar to that during the last two seasons of my league...however you were paired with a teammate (based on % of average score) against opponents whose % of average score combined to be similar to yours. The only difference was that my league was still ranking players based on individual performance, and the handicapped performance was for "extra benefits" (a smaller bit of money, trophies, and honors in finals matches).

The reason I moved away from that format this season is because of the new WPPR rules regarding indirect competition (and that's how I was doing the overall rankings).

I'm generally much more willing to attempt handicapping in league play, rather than tournaments. Not sure why. I think it's more clear to me that tournaments should be won by the people who play the best, while leagues are more social.

I've played in a bowling league which was handicapped. I'm not one of those put-fancy-spin-on-the-ball kind of players, and I probably would not have played in a league that was not handicapped. That said, I gladly played in pinball tournaments that were not handicapped right from the beginning. For the entire first year, it was pretty clear in my mind that I was just donating money to the better players. Thankfully, it was only $5 at a time.

As someone who runs tournaments, leagues, and pinball machines on location, I can tell you that the biggest excuse I get from people is "I'm not good enough". With league, I try to answer: you'll be playing against the people closest to you in ability. I think this helps, but I'd love an even more compelling sales pitch.

And I do like the ladder system, although the feedback from the people at the bottom of the ladder in my first league was that they did not improve much...and wished they had occasionally been playing with better players. (Which is why I implemented the Team Win concept for Season 2...so you'd be playing with all different abilities and have someone to talk and strategize with.)

One thing I can say for certain is that players who are going to be most drawn in by handicapping are the least likely to see this thread.

#53 8 years ago

All these rules are starting to sink in.

#54 8 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

As someone who runs tournaments, leagues, and pinball machines on location, I can tell you that the biggest excuse I get from people is "I'm not good enough". With league, I try to answer: you'll be playing against the people closest to you in ability. I think this helps, but I'd love an even more compelling sales pitch.
    And I do like the ladder system, although the feedback from the people at the bottom of the ladder in my first league was that they did not improve much...and wished they had occasionally been playing with better players. (Which is why I implemented the Team Win concept for Season 2...so you'd be playing with all different abilities and have someone to talk and strategize with.)
    One thing I can say for certain is that players who are going to be most drawn in by handicapping are the least likely to see this thread.

You've highlighted both the benefit and drawback of grouping like players together - playing with same skill players. Personally I've never learned much from players at or below my skill level. What I see more often than not is the lower ranked group largely consists of significant others of more serious players that join the competition for moral support and socialization. This is great and as a benefit many of them do turn into excellent players over time, but they also have the benefit of receiving coaching from their better ranked significant other.

If you are someone off the street your opportunity for learning is fairly slim in individual based events, but in a team league format there is real incentive to bring up the skill levels of teammates, more so than the weekly pairings we had because the teams are together for the duration of the season. In my pool leagues the best players loved to take lower ranked players under their wing and groom them to be great players, but I'm not seeing this enough in pinball, and I'm thinking the team format would help here.

Quoted from ryanwanger:

I totally get the pool analogy of playing a series of games, but there is one unfortunate difference...in pool, games move faster when you're good. In pinball it's the opposite. Having an A play even 3 consecutive games against a lower tier player could be brutal for both involved. If the A player is playing well, it's going to be even more demoralizing than just losing once.
    I do like the idea of having to plunge balls.
    Handicapping does mess with the concept of WPPR rankings, but maybe there is a hybrid where your handicapped performance is what "wins the league", but your non-handicapped performance is what gets submitted to the IFPA?

I think playing a series of games lends to a more accurate match outcome than a single game, don't you? Best of 1 matches tend to have double or triple elimination formats for good reason, but with a series of games in a match, a single elimination becomes perfectly acceptable. Double elimination tends to exist for the situations where a D gets randomly matched up with an A the first round, but applying a handicap would allow you to get comfortably back to single a elimination format. If match length needs to be kept to a minimum, that can be governed by minimizing turns on the likes of LOTR, SM, requiring EMs to be mixed in, or even playing games in succession, lower player first and the better player simply has to play until the score is beat rather than play out the full 30-45 minute game.

What I would like to see first is a player rating system for everyone that accommodates the 99% of the players whose IFPA rankings are not useful nor accurate. This rating is useful in team play to perform strategic matchups when you you know what a rating of "X" means but you don't otherwise know the other team's players. Or maybe you do know them but only know their skill from a competition a couple years back... things can change in that time, and if a player doesn't participate in IFPA rated events, or only an occasional league, you are going to have little no clue from IFPA rankings.

Only when ratings are established, the use of handicaps can be explored.

#55 8 years ago
    Quoted from Baiter:

Only when ratings are established, the use of handicaps can be explored.

That's exactly what IFPA Rating is: http://www.ifpapinball.com/menu/ranking-info#rating

You'd just need a way to translate that into a handicap.

#56 8 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

That's exactly what IFPA Rating is: http://www.ifpapinball.com/menu/ranking-info#rating
    You'd just need a way to translate that into a handicap.

Almost, but this only uses a simulation of head to head matches based on final results. A consistent league only player may only be seen in two results per year, may not even be enough data points.

The pool leagues I played in tracked minute details of each match to come up with a final rating, including who was the opponent, their rank, your rank, how many games were played, how many rounds in each game, was the win via accidental scratch on the 8-ball, how many defensive plays, etc. With pinball we can track the opponent, each rating at the time of the match, whether it even came down to the final ball, specific game played, and final score difference. That way you know whether the path to success or failure involved little details like getting tripped up by lower ranked players vs losing close matches to higher ranked players.

#57 8 years ago
    Quoted from Baiter:

With pinball we can track the opponent, each rating at the time of the match, whether it even came down to the final ball, specific game played, and final score difference. That way you know whether the path to success or failure involved little details like getting tripped up by lower ranked players vs losing close matches to higher ranked players.

Starting to sound not so fun. I think if weaker players want to get better, they can watch tutorials and such to get strategies. Play tournaments to be matched up with better players to see skills in action. Ask questions, AFTER matches, to fill in the gaps in their "education".
    I'm just not sure a handicap system can be successfully applied in pinball, it is difficult at best. After losing a tourney or several matches because of being handicapped, I'm pretty sure I would stop playing in those events.

#58 8 years ago
    Quoted from DNO:

Starting to sound not so fun. I think if weaker players want to get better, they can watch tutorials and such to get strategies. Play tournaments to be matched up with better players to see skills in action. Ask questions, AFTER matches, to fill in the gaps in their "education".
    I'm just not sure a handicap system can be successfully applied in pinball, it is difficult at best. After losing a tourney or several matches because of being handicapped, I'm pretty sure I would stop playing in those events.

You seem to enjoy playing in leagues where you are only matched up against other A players, correct? That is actually more of a handicap to your own win/loss ratio than purely random matchups would be. I'm pretty sure it is because you love the extra competition, and are otherwise bored playing low ranked players, and I wouldn't blame you. Thus this topic was made for you... and everyone else

So lets step back just a bit. As a highly ranked player yourself, when you have to to play a lower ranked player, would the match be more interesting to play with a handicap than to play straight up? Do you have doubts that you could regularly beat a D player in a 4-2 race? I personally enjoyed that aspect of pool league (I was a relatively better rated pool player than pinball), and believe that level of integrated competition is something that is missing in pinball. For example, while you and I have played in leagues together, we've yet to play a single match together. You could tell me I should play better (and I couldn't argue), but even with practice and dedication most people will never achieve your level of skill (if you agree pinball is a skill sport).

So the question is how to make a truly unified league if not with handicaps? I'd actually prefer to remove any pretense of handicap and play random matchups than to play in segregated league systems that are so commonplace. I applaud Ryan for being open to these issues and actually trying some different ideas in the Boulder league because I believe there is a better way based on my experiences competing outside of pinball.

#59 8 years ago

Are most/all pool leagues handicapped? I assume the best players continue to play, despite the handicap.

#60 8 years ago
    Quoted from Baiter:

You seem to enjoy playing in leagues where you are only matched up against other A players, correct? That is actually more of a handicap to your own win/loss ratio than purely random matchups would be. I'm pretty sure it is because you love the extra competition, and are otherwise bored playing low ranked players, and I wouldn't blame you. Thus this topic was made for you... and everyone else

I enjoy playing the top of the league, and you have to if you want to win. Otherwise I don't mind playing low skill/rank players at all, and I don't ever really get bored too much playing. More likely they get bored while playing me, especially on newer games. Maybe the handicap should just be to play EM games, lol.

Quoted from Baiter:

So lets step back just a bit. As a highly ranked player yourself, when you have to to play a lower ranked player, would the match be more interesting to play with a handicap than to play straight up? Do you have doubts that you could regularly beat a D player in a 4-2 race?

I would most like a handicap like this, where the games are still unchanged, but I would have to win an extra game or two.
    But again, it depends on what type of machines we would play too, does the underdog get to choose too?

#61 8 years ago
    Quoted from DNO:

I enjoy playing the top of the league, and you have to if you want to win. Otherwise I don't mind playing low skill/rank players at all, and I don't ever really get bored too much playing. More likely they get bored while playing me, especially on newer games. Maybe the handicap should just be to play EM games, lol.

I would most like a handicap like this, where the games are still unchanged, but I would have to win an extra game or two.
    But again, it depends on what type of machines we would play too, does the underdog get to choose too?

Good to hear you enjoy playing everyone. I do too, which is why I want that to be embedded into league formats.

I like your ideas about other small potential advantages that can be given to lower ranked players along with or instead of extra games:
    a) Alternating game selection with lower ranked player choosing the first one or two games
    b) Requiring an EM

#62 8 years ago

I am really not in favor of a handicap system for "serious" tourneys. There is already a significant element of chance in Pinball, which allows surprise victories - at least for best of 1 or 3 games direct elimination format - you may argue this never happens for best of 5 or more.

But this would make sense for a side tourney. I have done things like that. It may help keep players interested once they are kicked out of the main tourney. Format I tried: side tourney is unlimited attempts (within a given timeframe) on a single pin - best four performers will qualify for the finale.
    You give everyone a chance before the main tourney starts.
    Then apply a rule "as long as you are still in in the main tourney, you can't try again on the pin(s) selected for the side tourney". The winner of the main tournament will probably have only one attempt on the side game - early losers may have many (although they often gravitate closer to the beers than to the pins !). So basically it gives more tries for those eliminated at an early stage. It increases the chance of getting a top score.

But the idea behind this format was not really to even the chances : more like keeping everyone happy or busy.

#63 8 years ago
    Quoted from jlm33:

Then apply a rule "as long as you are still in in the main tourney, you can't try again on the pin(s) selected for the side tourney". The winner of the main tournament will probably have only one attempt on the side game - early losers may have many (although they often gravitate towards the beers than the pins !). So basically it gives more tries for those eliminated at an early stage. It increases the chance of getting a top score.

That's a great idea!

#64 8 years ago
    Quoted from jlm33:

I am really not in favor of a handicap system for "serious" tourneys. There is already a significant element of chance in Pinball, which allows surprise victories - at least for best of 1 or 3 games direct elimination format - you may argue this never happens for best of 5 or more.

What we have in pinball is a majority of players are afraid of a handicap system due to perceived randomness, yet still support tournaments with, for example, single-game/double-elimination format, resulting in as little as two games for many players. If randomness is truly a thing then tournaments should eliminate the chance factor by increasing the number of games everyone plays (triple elimination, multi-game matches, 9+ hole pingolf, unlimited qualifiers, etc), and if randomness is not a thing, it is a poor reason to reject handicaps.

#65 8 years ago
    Quoted from DNO:

More likely they get bored while playing me, especially on newer games.

... but I would have to win an extra game or two.
    But again, it depends on what type of machines we would play too,

That's my biggest issue right now. I enjoy playing against all divisions, and do in many situations and everyone has a great time and puppies and rainbows etc. How long does it take to play best out of 3 on modern Sterns? it can take a LONG time, now move that to basically a best of 5 for you to win and that's adding some serious time.

Quoted from Baiter:

I'd actually prefer to remove any pretense of handicap and play random matchups than to play in segregated league systems that are so commonplace.

When I first started playing in the 90s it was always this way (and tons of side tournies for cash). Huge brackets, random draws...I gots no problem with that. And that's one of the reasons a 3 strike event is so fun because everything is random.

#66 8 years ago

My focus has been how to make it fun for all with mixed skill levels (tournaments or leagues).

- FACT - Better players usually don't like a lesser player beating them because of a handicap - that's not fair / that's BS.

Most handicap scenarios will bring these feelings in head-to-head play. The effect is diluted/diffused in team scenarios, because the players can recognize their personal chance of winning is increased because the lower skilled players on their team have handicaps. In non-team scenarios, the best players view the handicaps as all negative for them (which technically is correct).

So the ONLY solution that will work (for highly competitive players) is teams with handicapping.

IMO a nice simple solution is to not use handicaps, but just pair people on teams of different skill levels.
    For doubles, simply pair the Best with the Worst, and work towards the middle.

Or a more complex solution for 2 or more players per team...
    - rate players as A/B/C
    - each rating (A,B,C) is associated with a point value: A=3, B=2, C=1
    - group players into teams of 2, 3, or 4
    - all teams must add up to the same "total" (give or take 1 point)
    - if a lower "total" team plays a higher total team, the lower total team gets the slight advantage (game choice or order)

Example for 4 player teams: Total should be 8 +/- 1 -> so 7, 8, or 9

Examples would be
    - A-B-B-C = 8
    - A-A-C-C = 8
    - B-B-B-B = 8
    - A-A-B-C = 9
    etc.

You may still get some A players complaining that they don't want the lower player on their team. There's nothing you can do for A players that only want to compete against other top players, as far as mixing in lower players and leveling the playfield.

#67 8 years ago

We've struggled with this locally. It's tough to get some people past the "I don't have a chance of winning" mentality...which by the way is a horrible way of approaching anything you do. Lots of people here locally are scared to come out to events for fear that they will embarrass themselves. I am convinced we couldn't get certain lovers of people to participate in an event if we had topless girls handing out free $50 bills at the door. It was hard for me to get past that as someone who tries so hard to promote pinball and run events. We have local ops that basically give the house away to entice people to come out and do something they supposedly love to do anyway and it's never enough for some people. I've come to terms that I am not going to be able to change that, so I now focus on the people who do want to be there and make things the best they can be for those people. As far as the competition aspect, it's a fine line for me personally. I want people to participate in leagues and events, but you need to be realistic, if you are not at least a very good player you don't have a great chance of winning. There are lots of other activities I like to do, but I am not the best at. I wouldn't expect to win in a dedicated league of any of those activities, I would participate in those leagues to have fun and get better. It shouldn't have to be all about winning all the time for everyone. As far as handicapping, if you are only in it to win, then you need to play the best players, practice and get better to do that...and we've seen several local players do exactly that. Lots of local players could have given up a couple of years ago when one of three people basically won every event, but they didn't and now today they are winning and finishing high because of it. Success doesn't always come overnight and we have some great players here locally, so it's going to take work to beat them, there aren't many ways around that. IMHO, I know this isn't what handicapping really is, but it shouldn't be just dumb everything down so someone has a chance to win without working at it. All that said, we've done a couple things for one of our leagues to help with the competitive aspect.

First of all, if you have finished top 4 in league in the past, you can't drop past the second group in any week. So if one of those players has a bad week, they won't go to the bottom group and destroy all the players there. It hurts me since I am one of those 4, but I understand it and I am okay with it. If the only way I could win a league is by playing in the bottom groups and beating up on people, then personally I am fine with not winning.

Second, we had an end of league team tournament where the worst finisher got to pick his partner first, then the second worst and so on. You then played against other teams in a double elimination tournament on random games. I won the league, so was paired with the worst player so I knew I basically had to win on my own if we were going to win. It was challenging knowing going in that I knew I had to kill it and pretty much beat both other players scores myself. It was quite the handicap, and I wouldn't want to play a full league like that, but I have to admit it was fun doing it. It was a great coaching opportunity too for players. Basically 1 on 1 access with a more skilled player. I tried to give insights to my teammate and help him do better in the games and build his confidence.

#68 8 years ago
    Quoted from T7:

So the ONLY solution that will work (for highly competitive players) is teams with handicapping.

IMO a nice simple solution is to not use handicaps, but just pair people on teams of different skill levels.
    For doubles, simply pair the Best with the Worst, and work towards the middle.

Or a more complex solution for 2 or more players per team...

Thanks for the nice examples of handicapping with the team concept.

In the Boulder league we tried pairing people on teams of different skill levels, and overall it was a more enjoyable format where each player was able to play with and/or against every other player during the course of the season. I even enjoyed the extra challenge being matched both 1 vs 2 and 2 vs 1 (an occasional necessity if there weren't enough 4 players groups in a night). In other words it appeared to work well for players of all skill levels, and something like that requires the elusive player rating I keep referring to (A-D, A-C, 2-7, etc and so forth).

#69 8 years ago

I was thinking more on this last night... I wanted to restate a point that many of you seem to be missing.

Leagues are typically governed by number of wins, and matchups are commonly made with players of similar skills, which results in a 50% chance that either player will win. What that means is the league champion is ultimately the one that most consistently plays above their assigned skill level.

When I'm talking about a handicap system I'm also proposing matches that have the intent of a 50% chance for each player to win, but this time we allow everyone to matchup against everyone else. So the result should still be a league champion that most consistently exceeds their assigned skill level.

The thing to keep in mind is this... everyone will move up and down the ladder based on performance, but the better players will top out their rating at some point, lets use the "A" rating. The best players in the world will still be a notch above that. In other words, there is no reasonable way to handicap top 100 in the world for league purposes, they will wind up in the "A" division, and as such will still do as they always do, beat "A" players more often than not, and will retain a similar advantage vs everyone else. This is why leagues have been and would continue to be, dominated by A players.

#70 8 years ago
    Quoted from Baiter:

What we have in pinball is a majority of players are afraid of a handicap system due to perceived randomness, yet still support tournaments with, for example, single-game/double-elimination format, resulting in as little as two games for many players.

This is the reason I don't like to start with single elimination format. Typical tourneys I run involve Herb style qualifying first, allowing each players to play 5-10 games in a relatively relax manner (no direct confrontation) followed by a second phase with top 33-50% players. Each player, even really bad, should be allowed a play a significant number of games, especially when the inscription fee is significant. Many of the casual players don't want to spend the whole afternoon (and early evening) playing pinball, so they participate to the qualification round which typically lasts 2-3 hours. They also know the schedule will be more or less respected and appreciate that.

#71 8 years ago
    Quoted from jlm33:

This is the reason I don't like to start with single elimination format. Typical tourneys I run involve Herb style qualifying first, allowing each players to play 5-10 games in a relatively relax manner (no direct confrontation) followed by a second phase with top 33-50% players. Each player, even really bad, should be allowed a play a significant number of games, especially when the inscription fee is significant. Many of the casual players don't want to spend the whole afternoon (and early evening) playing pinball, so they participate to the qualification round which typically lasts 2-3 hours. They also know the schedule will be more or less respected and appreciate that.

I like the Herb qualifying format as long as equal time or attempts is enforced, which it sounds like you do. 2-3 hours sounds like you have a smallish group, most qualifiers I've been in start at 5+ hours as you spend most of your time in line waiting to play a game.

There are 71 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/time-for-an-official-pinball-handicap-system/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.