Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by undrdog
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

01513D33-1954-4BCE-B731-89866DFA1671 (resized).jpeg
    Capturea (resized).PNG
    11BC81C0-E248-41C0-828E-2BD5B998ABB0 (resized).jpeg
    FB395EC2-5B87-4C35-824D-2EA612B74A0C (resized).jpeg
    4C8E87FB-7FBE-4CFC-8F87-F57507FE81BB (resized).jpeg
    #1 3 years ago

#heat-wave
    The Match Unit plunger pulls back well enough to advance the unit, but often not strong enough or far enough to ring the bell.

Weak coil?

#2 3 years ago

Very rare for a weak coil to happen. More likely stuff gunked up and not working smoothly, or low power. ( not voltage )

LTG : )

#3 3 years ago

clean the plunger and put in a new coil sleeve. Make sure the mech moves freely and isn't dirty.

Replacing coil would be a waste of money, just replace the coil sleeve it's a 40 cent part.

#4 3 years ago

I just cleaned the sleeve & plunger last weekend. Had the whole unit apart and degunked.

Have some new sleeves i was going to use to refurb the pops. Could try one of those.

#5 3 years ago

It’s probably something else with the mech then. You may need to take it apart and clean it.

#6 3 years ago

That was all done last weekend. Had the whole advance unit apart & cleaned. The unit advances fine. The coil just doesn’t seem to pull back far enough or perhaps strongly enough to ring the bell all the time.

So,

LTG how do I check for low power? I have a multimeter.

Sleeves may be readily available & forty cents in New York, but here they are $5.40 and a week away (shipping costs & time). Fortunately, I’d just ordered five, along with other pop bumper parts.

#7 3 years ago

Coils don't "lose power." It just doesn't happen, they either work or they don't.

#8 3 years ago

I also doubt its electrical - almost certainly mechanical. Maybe one or both springs are too tight, or "clapper" needs to be adjusted (if possible).

Does it ding the bell if you use your finger to pull the plunger all the way in - that is usually a good way to "feel" whats happening (unplug machine first!)

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from undrdog:

how do I check for low power? I have a multimeter.

Voltage can be right, you need amps to drive things. Not sure how you'd measure that at a coil.

I had a game drive me nuts. Weak flipper. Everything was perfect, continuity, everything. Digging deeper. I found the wires daisy chained from one coil to another to the driver board. One coil lug with two wires to it. Had one wire hanging by a single strand of wire. Enough for continuity, not enough to drive the coil.

LTG : )

#10 3 years ago

This advance unit has no clapper. I’ve put on washers, quarters, dollar coins, 4C8E87FB-7FBE-4CFC-8F87-F57507FE81BB (resized).jpeg4C8E87FB-7FBE-4CFC-8F87-F57507FE81BB (resized).jpeg and other substitutes. Toyed with different methods of securing them- loose, tight. Adjusted how close and far away the bell is a zillion times.

A previous owner must have had problems, too, because there is a second mounting hole in the bell.

It rings when manually pulled. A soft ring, but better than nothing. But, closing a one point switch only gets an occasional ring.

The unit itself advances fine. It’s hitting the bell that's the problem.
    11BC81C0-E248-41C0-828E-2BD5B998ABB0 (resized).jpeg11BC81C0-E248-41C0-828E-2BD5B998ABB0 (resized).jpegFB395EC2-5B87-4C35-824D-2EA612B74A0C (resized).jpegFB395EC2-5B87-4C35-824D-2EA612B74A0C (resized).jpeg

Also, the bell can’t get too close, because the clapper is on the arm that advances the ratchet. If it doesn’t go down far enough, the unit can’t advance.

#11 3 years ago

Could try making an elongated clapper that points down....

#12 3 years ago

Those springs look non-std, compared to say the pic on IPDB

Capturea (resized).PNGCapturea (resized).PNG

I'm sure you've checked, but if you disconnect them and try...?

#13 3 years ago

I made a striker from 1/8” steel. Seems to be working.

Held in with neoprene grommet

01513D33-1954-4BCE-B731-89866DFA1671 (resized).jpeg01513D33-1954-4BCE-B731-89866DFA1671 (resized).jpeg
    #14 3 years ago

I knew this machine was going to be a project, but it’s been the littlest things!

#15 3 years ago

If, after you've cleaned everything, it works fine when operating by hand and the Clapper will ring the bell without issue, then what about the plunger and coil stop, what are they like? Might be really hammered or even magnetised so not 100% effective? As the others have said, it's unlikely a bad coil unless its wiring has frayed on its connections.

#16 3 years ago

If you want to test the coil for free, swap it for a working coil with the same part number.

1 week later
    #17 3 years ago

Fixed it with a home designed clapper. The coil is fine.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/time-for-a-new-coil?hl=howardr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.