Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by GSones
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

I've got a couple machines at work, including a LOTR. LOTR obviously lends itself to long games, which is not ideal (OK, for most people anyway) for a work environment.

Have manufacturers ever considered settings that allow changing to a time-based game for a game like LOTR? I know it would require a lot of code (so maybe only really possible if the mode is programmed in during development), but it would be an awesome addition to a game (really, could be a completely different feel from trying to reach wizard mode). It would certainly be job security for game code programmers, as the mode would require completely different code paths.

Just curious what other people think about this and whether (other than the handful of time-based games I've read about) this has ever been considered by manufacturers.

And, yes, I realize that what I really need is just a machine with shorter game times (like almost any em, for example), but this would clearly be a different experience.

#2 5 years ago
Quoted from ellray:

Have manufacturers ever considered settings that allow changing to a time-based game

#james-bond, but it was not well received. Traditional code was later developed to replace the timed gameplay code.

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from ellray:

I've got a couple machines at work, including a LOTR. LOTR obviously lends itself to long games, which is not ideal (OK, for most people anyway) for a work environment.
Have manufacturers ever considered settings that allow changing to a time-based game for a game like LOTR? I know it would require a lot of code (so maybe only really possible if the mode is programmed in during development), but it would be an awesome addition to a game (really, could be a completely different feel from trying to reach wizard mode). It would certainly be job security for game code programmers, as the mode would require completely different code paths.
Just curious what other people think about this and whether (other than the handful of time-based games I've read about) this has ever been considered by manufacturers.
And, yes, I realize that what I really need is just a machine with shorter game times (like almost any em, for example), but this would clearly be a different experience.

Linked NBA Fastbreaks use a timer system, so if you want to go that route you can
It doesn’t seem like it would be too much to add

#4 5 years ago

Safe Cracker is a fun time-based game.

#5 5 years ago

#apollo13 has a novice mode that is time based. Other Sega tables may have it as well.

Have you considered using an egg timer? Way cheaper and requires no code changes.

#6 5 years ago

What about Slugfest? It’s a great 2 player game that you can set the innings on. Would probably be fun to play competitively in the office. I just put one out on location

#7 5 years ago

WOZ pin by me has a redemption function and provides you with a 3 min timer per $1 play.

#8 5 years ago

I think OP is asking for specific modes that are timed from the start. A timer that just cuts the regular game at a time is like watching a movie but never having a chance to get to the main conflict, much less resolution.

"You have 3 minutes to hit 10 ramps then shoot the scoop."

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from BrewinBombers:

I think OP is asking for specific modes that are timed from the start...

I don't, most modes are times already, pretty sure he's talking games

3 months later
#10 4 years ago

Yes, I meant game times. For LOTR, it would be some sort of timed game (3 min?) that clearly laid out some goals, including the potential for a multiball. Then maybe the game could continue as long as 2 or more balls were in play (extra time!). Obviously, the play would be very different from the full-on ruleset, but the shots are there, so it would just require software and maybe some sound/graphics changes, depending on how substantial the changes were.

Thanks for the responses. It's cool that there are a number of timed game options out there. I have always been an NBA FB fan, but haven't been able to land one.

#11 4 years ago

Cosmic Cart Racing is probably the closest to what you want that's currently available.
https://www.multimorphic.com/store/p3-game-kits/cosmic-cart-racing/

#12 4 years ago

I played a WOZ set up with time based play.

It was incredibly stupid. A 3 minute countdown clock. Time the ball sat in the shooter lane ran off.

Not sure if this is in the software anymore or was just an attempt at something.

#13 4 years ago

My inherent lack of skills has proven to be a great method of limiting my pinball game times but has allowed me to maximize my number of games played.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 12.95
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Grand Rapids, MI
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.00
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

9,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Eau Claire, WI
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/time-based-play-for-office-pinball?hl=brewinbombers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.