Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 298 posts
  • 105 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by LesManley
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20140707_222712.jpg
    4rkJl2ZAAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==.png
    th-2.jpeg
    Steve-Young.jpg
    images-2.jpeg
    History_American-Restoration_304_Strong-Arm_reLF_HD_still_624x352[1].jpg
    Shoot-The-Bear[1].jpg
    hey-you-can-do-it.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frolic.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#72 9 years ago

Watching these threads pop up on pinside every month or so, my take away is any of the criticisms are fueled mostly from people's desires that the place live up to its name and the expectations it creates.

I don't think anyone would have much to say if it was called "Tim's Charity Arcade".

6 months later
    #193 8 years ago

It always seemed to me if the business is donating hundreds of thousands of dollars a year to charity some of that could be reinvested into the business, with staff, techs, etc.

The place doesn't need to be Tim's personal hell.

Fine, every dollar "reinvested" is a dollar not donated to charity, but as a pinball owner, my basement is technically full of things that I could have otherwise donated to charity. Obviously I choose to donate to charities as I wish to, and spend money on myself as I wish to.

If we all judged every discretionary dollar as being taken away from charity, none of us would drive cars, own homes, etc, we'd all live in modest places with no luxuries, because if we don't we took that money from charity and we're now assholes.

Point is, there is a happy balance somewhere and I wish Tim could find his.

#212 8 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

Especially when he talks about how hes' been doing this for 7 days a week for 25-30 years and getting burned out (and never having time for TV or movies). It's a thankless job, and it's not so much his skill, but his personality type that can only run a place like that.

Is it thankless? He's a huge benefactor to the charities he supports. Plus I'm sure every day he's approached (annoyed) by pinheads who thank him for the place.

I've given the opinion that he should cut his hours and hire the support he needs. But he doesn't want to do that, he wants to donate every last dollar he can to charity - which is fine, but then accept that as his choice, not him being a martyr.

#217 8 years ago

Instead of shutting it down, Tim should offer it up for sale. I think he even owns the building, so he could be the landlord to the new PHOF business owner.

Figure out the value of the business and contents of the building. Let his legacy live on, not just shut it down and burn it down.

#220 8 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

If you listen to that interview, the way he talks, he doesn't think anyone else but him could run it, and that no one should after he's done at 65.

Well, I'm pretty sure we can be confident that that will be the outcome. No reinvestment for the next 5 years, and then turn the lights off.

#222 8 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

he doesn't think anyone else but him could run it

Another comment.... no one could run it the way HE does currently. No one would want to, because its nuts.

But can a PHOF run successfully in Vegas? Based on his coin drop, yes.

He's abandoning his charities anyways when he shuts the lights off, so don't put any sort of charitable clauses on the new owners. Let them run it as a business, hire the people it needs to succeed and let pinball live on.

#228 8 years ago
    Quoted from kst8cat:

Of course that would still be better than closing it down, but I'm just saying there would be positives and negatives to switching over to a for-profit entity.

Well, right now we're looking at a closure. So, wouldn't anything be better than that? Now, the place may very well close because that's what Tim wants. He doesn't want to sell it. He doesn't want anyone to even try to take it. He wants to close it because it is his and that is what he's going to do. In light of that, pretty hard to work through an alternate solution.

All I'm suggesting though is there probably are lots of potential solutions, if there was a will to make it happen.

2 years later
    #279 6 years ago

I loved Vids quote from before:

Quoted from vid1900:

EVERY time I'm in there some guy has Tim's ear and it's the exact same thing:

Boring Guy: Yeah, I told my wife, if we go to Vegas, we HAVE to go to PHOF.
    BG: Hey, there is a place by my house called Antonio's, I live in Florida, that has a Flash, and a.......a.......(honey, what the other game besides Flash at Antonio's?)...a....um...oh yeah, Meteor, but NOTHING like this!
    BG: What is the electric bill in a place like this?
    BG: I've got a AFM, it's in better shape than yours.....I was offered $8,000 for it, but I said NOOOO Way.
    BG: Have you ever seen a rare game called Bushido? I played one at a rich guy's house in California.
    BG: You know, if you fixed this place up with carpet and stuff, you could have a really nice place here.
    BG: Have you ever seen Pawn Shop Wars? They had an old Bally on there, said it was worth $4,000, I'm like 'yeah right'. That show is fake.
    BG: There used to be an arcade by my house, um....Player 1, that was the name of it....they had a pin I've never been able to remember the name of, maybe you can help me? It had a giant cue ball in the center, like a real cue ball that would block your ball......

I don't know how Tim puts up with it.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frolic.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tim-arnold-pinball-hall-of-fame?tu=frolic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.