(Topic ID: 157227)

Tim Arnold looking for protege to take over HOF

By westofrome

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4678_(resized).JPG
    IMG_4594_(resized).JPG
    image_(resized).jpeg
    phof_emrow01_(resized).jpg
    taken_(resized).jpg
    taken_(resized).jpg
    triple_x_(resized).jpg
    2016-04-14_15.45.07_(resized).jpg
    zzzzz_(resized).jpg
    pinball-hall-of-fame_(resized).jpg
    pov89vluok_(resized).jpg
    checks__(resized).PNG
    tim_(resized).PNG
    o_(resized).jpg
    IMAG0054_(resized).jpg
    tokens_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider xtheblackknightx.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#63 8 years ago

Whatever happened to Tim's personal bowling ball pyramid?
    Does he still have it in his backyard?
    I always thought that was interesting as he gave the donations to buy the balls.

Willy Wonka is a good anology in this case. All pinball collectors at this stage are hoarders, it is just the way is, and parting collections loses historical significance as they are spread four sheets to the wind.

However, he is completely correct regarding those left that have the technical knowledge to repair machines, especially those with outdated electronic PCBs that have yet to be remade, or EMs that are being told by electrical engineers they are "too hard to understand"?
    Knowledge is fleeting, almost to the point of sadness.

I hope he finds the right person, or at least get the games packed up in protected storage, instead of what happened to Gene Cuttingham.

tim5_(resized).jpgtim5_(resized).jpg

#134 8 years ago
    Quoted from futurepinhead:

Jeez, if I was in charge of that, I'd have 15 employees minimum. I respect the hell out of Tim from the few interviews I've read and most the stories I've heard. But he is the only reason he is so stressed out.

Finding pinball technicians that have the full spectrum of experience from EMs to modern SS is much harder than people may realize, even in Vegas. Particularly at "bargain bin" hourly wages. Young retirees or financially independent people would be a good hedge, but they are not necessarily common together in tandem.

#156 8 years ago
    Quoted from futurepinhead:

You wouldn't necessarily have to find one that already knows what they are doing. I taught myself through interactions on here and YouTube videos. I still learn something new everyday.I couldn't imagine how fast I would have learned if I had someone actually teaching me. Hire some techy college kids. Sure, I know Tim would never even think of doing this, but its an example of what could be done.

Electronic PCB repairs do not work well on YouTube videos, and is not something that can be taught quickly to college kids.
    They do not train on these types of circuits, repairs, or parts, nor do they want to overall.
    Understanding basic circuit theory, yes, but repair of a archaic Bally 6803 MPU master board?
    EM restoration is works fine, but this time based with patience, and many do not have the patience to learn.
    Watching a new restorer repair an EM score reel is an object of frustration for both sides.
    Soldering for example is an art, and microboard component soldering takes practice, skill, and the right tools.
    This is not soldering a coil, or exchanging MOLEX pins.

The biggest challenge that remains are the circumstances, it is very hard to earn Tim's trust by newcomers, and would take a certain amount of enthusiastic diplomacy, otherwise he would just give them the "$#%@ off" look.
    I know, catch 22.
    He needs more permanent help on a daily basis or eventually it will get shuttered when he moves on.
    Nobody wants to see that happen.

1 week later
    #466 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

The name is just a trick to avoid paying coin-op licensing fees.
    Just like when someone calls their arcade a "pinball museum". It's not really a museum conserving precious artifacts. It's just a trick to put an arcade in a town that has outlawed arcades.
    -
    If this does not make sense to you, think of Mad Magazine.
    It was a comic book, but when the Comics Code Authority started censoring comics, Mad suddenly became a magazine to avoid censorship.
    "A rose by any other name...." - Shakespeare

"Seattle Pinball Museum"
    http://www.seattlepinballmuseum.com/

Sometimes the best tricks are the old tricks.
    The "museum" has received "free machines to maintain history" as well.
    Its a free enterprise, capitalistic world in those countries that can do it.

NOTE: This location is NOT non-profit...but kudos...

#470 7 years ago
    Quoted from CubeSnake:

LLoyd, I *think* you might be referring to John Jamshid <sp?> aka Evil Exidy on the old RVAC forums. IIRC, he was residing in Florida and some neighbor made a complaint-not about the pins & vids, but the trucks that delivered them. This got the county involved and it did indeed turn out t be a huge bureaucratic quagmire....I believe he move out to Colorado....

Yes, he moved to CO. I helped him out several times and give versa for coin op parts. This is one of the reason why collectors don't publicize what they own in terms of collections. People overreact, sometimes with hate. This video is just a collection review after he moved to CO. The old Channel 8 "retribution" video after the FL city council attacked him is missing.

What made his collection special is WHAT he owned, not HOW MUCH he owned, as there are a ton of larger collectors in the USA alone. Interview had some errors.

I remember when I had 55+ pinball machines set up in my machine shop in the early 2000s. People really don't have any idea how much space they can really take up. That many machines side by side is over 200 feet (a few inches between each backbox) of you keep moving down the line in one direction.

Some people are just very critical.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider xtheblackknightx.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tim-arnold-looking-for-buyer-for-hof?tu=xtheblackknightx and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.