(Topic ID: 157227)

Tim Arnold looking for protege to take over HOF

By westofrome

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4678_(resized).JPG
    IMG_4594_(resized).JPG
    image_(resized).jpeg
    phof_emrow01_(resized).jpg
    taken_(resized).jpg
    taken_(resized).jpg
    triple_x_(resized).jpg
    2016-04-14_15.45.07_(resized).jpg
    zzzzz_(resized).jpg
    pinball-hall-of-fame_(resized).jpg
    pov89vluok_(resized).jpg
    checks__(resized).PNG
    tim_(resized).PNG
    o_(resized).jpg
    IMAG0054_(resized).jpg
    tokens_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lpeters82.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#49 8 years ago

Tim, thank you for your dedication to pinball and charity. Trips to the PHOF are always a highlight of my Vegas vacation. Please know that there are a lot of pinball owners out there that respect the effort it takes to keep these games running. The fact that the money is going to charity is an amazing bonus. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

#153 8 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

Whether it works or doesn't work...that's a really subjective definition. But, there are a few facts:
    1) Tim is worn out, and has been telling everyone this for years.
    2) The machines are generally in enough disrepair that many of the target customers are not returning for a second visit.
    3) Non-working (or poorly playing) machines being left out on location reflect poorly the venue, and on pinball in general.
    All of these things can be changed or improved. None of us has been tasked with making improvements, so our suggestions really don't mean anything. But, given #1, it's not surprising that these conversations keep happening. It sounds to me like the things he says to people regarding his sanity & enthusiasm is opening himself up to unsolicited advice. (Although this article almost certainly took one comment out of context and ran with it).

I completely disagree with point #2. I don't think pinball enthusiasts with their own home lineups are his target customers. Look at the reviews on Yelp! or Trip Adviser. The reviews are overwhelmingly positive with an average is a 4.5. That's not a small sample either. That's with around 2,500 reviews. The only place I read overwhelming negative reviews are on pinball sites.

PS: When I was talking with Charlotte a few weeks ago it sure sounded like they were working on purchasing a larger building. I found this timing to be a bit of a surprise.

#290 8 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

Tim, thank you for your dedication to pinball and charity. Trips to the PHOF are always a highlight of my Vegas vacation. Please know that there are a lot of pinball owners out there that respect the effort it takes to keep these games running. The fact that the money is going to charity is an amazing bonus. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Just for fun, here is what I'd do I were handed the keys to the Pinball Hall of Fame. First, I wouldn't change anything for the first year. Based on the comments on Yelp! and TripAdvisor the status que seems to be working. Having said that, in the back of my mind, I would have a checklist of things I'd consider changing.

* Replace the banner sign with some mounted letters, under $500
    * Convert quarters to tokens
    * I would have a staffed front desk, these staff can also be responsible for cleaning.
    - "Welcome to the Pinball Hall of Fame."
    - "Is this your first time visiting?"
    - "You can play all of the machines, but remember many of them are rare. Please treat them with respect."
    - "Please do not let your children play unattended."
    - "If you have any problems please report them here so I can send someone over to look at it."
    - "There is no admission, but we do accept donations on behalf of _________."
    * Sell merchandise and concessions at the front desk. this alone would probably fund the front desk positions.
    * A logical order to the machines might add to the experience, especially if there were more standardized informational signs.
    * Add a few picnic tables outside so people have a place to eat / drink.
    * Better tint on the front doors.
    * There has to be a way to add some ceiling fans and lighting.
    * If expansion were in the budget my priorities would be a dedicated workshop and male and female bathrooms.
    * Obviously it would also be great to have a few technicians on staff.

#408 8 years ago

Here is Tim's philosophy, "if it were possible to run something like the PHOF for profit it would already exist". I'm not sure I quite agree with that as Tim is in a unique position simply in the number of machines he owned going into the venture. However, that's basically the point that vid1900 is making. It's not that people are going to the PHOF to see Tim, it's that Tim has been the only person who has been successful in creating something like the PHOF; which is proof that he must be doing a lot of things right.

#414 8 years ago
    Quoted from altan:

Perhaps that attitude is part of the problem. My favorite small businesses are the ones where the owner WANTS to talk to the customers. A skilled communicator can steer the topic into more interesting directions...

I do think there is truth to what your saying, but keep in mind that Tim does not run the PHOF like a business. It's simply a place that people can go to play pinball. That's it, period. His focus is keeping the machines running. I'd also argue that he does a damn good job of that. The job is simply more then one person can handle.

PS: Full disclosure, I do think the place could benefit from a front desk, but that would be a step towards becoming a business.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lpeters82.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tim-arnold-looking-for-buyer-for-hof?tu=lpeters82 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.