3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 499 posts
  • 150 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by HighProtein
  • Topic is favorited by 20 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 22 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_4678_(resized).JPG
    IMG_4594_(resized).JPG
    image_(resized).jpeg
    phof_emrow01_(resized).jpg
    taken_(resized).jpg
    taken_(resized).jpg
    triple_x_(resized).jpg
    2016-04-14_15.45.07_(resized).jpg
    zzzzz_(resized).jpg
    pinball-hall-of-fame_(resized).jpg
    pov89vluok_(resized).jpg
    checks__(resized).PNG
    tim_(resized).PNG
    o_(resized).jpg
    IMAG0054_(resized).jpg
    tokens_(resized).jpg

There are 499 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 10.
    #351 3 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Lots of takers going to be lining up to do it for zero dollars if the transaction would stipulate something like that. Maybe if you could fund a residential unit at The Signature at MGM Grand and lease a couple of exotic cars; he might find a taker.
    I can draw on my pensions soon so I'd CONsider it. Don't know if I can repair a pinball machine though.... As a bonus, my people skills resemble those of a certain pinball museum curator I know. At least both of our people skills are a bit better than the PHoF master of ceremonies though.

It is so easy to sit back and say 'I'd do this, I'd do that' when you haven't been in the arena. Have people criticize you every day for years and years. Have people tell you how to run your business every day for years and years. Then see how good your people skills are.

I own a golf course. I've got a background in the golf industry. The course I purchased was a shithole when I bought it. The first three or four years, I was a hero because anything that I did was an improvement over what it was. But then people's expectations change, and every day people will say 'why don't you do this, why don't you do that,' when they have never been in the industry and have no idea what's involved and how much it costs, not to mention that Mother Nature has most of the say. Combine that with having limited resources, and there is only so much you can do. Not every course is going to be Augusta National. I'm passionate about what I do. I'm passionate about my course. I pour everything I have into this place. I am truly living my dream.

There are times when I do get overwhelmed. Lessons at 9, 10, 11, 12. Clubfitting at 1 and 2. Need to get four sets of clubs re-gripped, and oh, 45 boxes need to be ready for UPS by 3 p.m. Meeting at 4 p.m. with someone wanting to set up a fundraiser. League at 5:30 with 40 people. Have a tournament here with an 8 a.m. shotgun start tomorrow with 72 people. I've got two carts that went down today that I need for the morning. My irrigation pump just seized up and it's supposed to be 85 degrees tomorrow. What do you mean you can't come in to mow greens tomorrow morning? You HAVE to be here! Oh yeah, we're feeding the tournament.

There have been lots of nights where I feel like I'm getting up an hour after I went to bed. Oh yeah, that's exactly what I did!

I'm sure Tim has felt this same way. 10 machines down, 15 machines down. Have an event coming in, or know it's going to be one of my 'busy' days. You feel that pressure. Pinball is his passion. But I'm sure there are times when his passion can overwhelm him. Maybe it will end up killing him. Maybe my passion will end up killing me. Hey, we all are going to bite it one of these days. I just HOPE when I do, it's while I'm doing something at the golf course, doing something I love. Bury me where I drop. I hope it's behind the 5th green. He probably feels the same way.

Not ripping on you. Just pointing out that it's very easy to judge when you haven't been in someone's shoes. I've never been to Tim's place, but I'd like to. I've read a lot of positive comments about his place, and I've read a lot of negs as well. I'm sure I'd be disappointed that some games I'd like to play wouldn't be available. But to be in that place, with all of those machines, and to see the evolution of pinball machines all under one roof, and to get to play even some of those games, I think it would be an awesome experience.

My two cents. It's time for a beer and a few games on No Good Gofers.

#352 3 years ago
    Quoted from Dooskie:

I've never been to Tim's place, but I'd like to. I've read a lot of positive comments about his place, and I've read a lot of negs as well. I'm sure I'd be disappointed that some games I'd like to play wouldn't be available. But to be in that place, with all of those machines, and to see the evolution of pinball machines all under one roof, and to get to play even some of those games, I think it would be an awesome experience.

"Pinball Hall of Fame - Shed Tour"

#353 3 years ago
    Quoted from Dooskie:

It is so easy to sit back and say 'I'd do this, I'd do that' when you haven't been in the arena. Have people criticize you every day for years and years. Have people tell you how to run your business every day for years and years. Then see how good your people skills are.

I agree 100%.

What most don't realize is the commitment part of it. I have a small business and it requires a lot of time and effort, but most of my weekends are free. It's easy to say "I'd LOVE to have the PHOF because I LOVE pinball!". Yeah, I think an operation that size with or without employees (and having employees brings more stress), running full-steam 7 days a week year-round would burn out most any person at some point, no matter how much you love it going in.

Unless you have a lot of experience in running a business, any business for that matter, think it through carefully. And don't forget about loss of personal time with family or sitting on the internet viewing your favorite websites.

#354 3 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Well, more likely leave it busted and turned off until the next game came out, then move it to the warehouse to sit for 20 years.

And those are some of the best things to come out of operator's warehouses. Broken, often robbed of parts, but usually in better shape cosmetically. I call them warehouse orphans.

I love it when they come up at auction!

#355 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

pinball-hall-of-fame_(resized).jpg

Vid, is this your place?

#356 3 years ago
    Quoted from Razorbak86:

» YouTube video

I didn't know Cheryl Tiegs is on the Charlie's Angels backglass; She isn't..... That's Cheryl Ladd.

I sure miss the Fun Nights in the Big Hit Shed....

Those ball bearing machine guns were a blast to play.

#357 3 years ago
    Quoted from Razorbak86:

» YouTube video

Fascinating and sad in equal measure.

It would need a small army to sort through all those games.

#358 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

No one wants to go to a museum and see stuff that looks old.

?

#359 3 years ago
    Quoted from Dooskie:

Vid, is this your place?

It is the PHOF.

My place looks like a pole barn pinball graveyard.

#360 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

It is the PHOF.

Okay, wasn't sure. I haven't been there yet. You have any pics of your machines? Just curious.

#361 3 years ago

I may be in the minority, but that "shed tour" is just depressing. What is the point of hoarding games just to stick them in a barn, machine on top of machine. It would neat to see such a thing in person, but I think it would quickly turn into something sad thinking about how much happiness and fun these machines could bring to families or the public. Instead, they are trophies being stored in the dark.

#362 3 years ago
    Quoted from MiamiRedSkin:

I may be in the minority, but that "shed tour" is just depressing. What is the point of hoarding games just to stick them in a barn, machine on top of machine. It would neat to see such a thing in person, but I think it would quickly turn into something sad thinking about how much happiness and fun these machines could bring to families or the public. Instead, they are trophies being stored in the dark.

Well to be fair he did take a lot of those machines and fixed them up and opened a museum. A lot of people have played a lot of machines because this is happening. The shear amount of all those machines is tons of man hours to get them operating correctly but at least he has done more then most for the masses. Depressing is thinking of all the games that went to the dump and are not someplace protected a bit from the elements. Ideally though all those games should be fixed and played.

#363 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

Well to be fair he did take a lot of those machines and fixed them up and opened a museum. A lot of people have played a lot of machines because this is happening. The shear amount of all those machines is tons of man hours to get them operating correctly but at least he has done more then most for the masses. Depressing is thinking of all the games that went to the dump and are not someplace protected a bit from the elements. Ideally though all those games should be fixed and played.

Ok, that makes more sense. Is that shed before the opening of the PHOF, or is that his storage in conjunction with the machines for public use? I think machines going to the dumpster or machines being piled high to the ceiling in this shed is basically the same thing.....

What would make sense is for Tim to reinvest some of the income to hire people who would actually get these machines working again ... put them back out in the public, then use the increased income to donate to his charities.

#364 3 years ago

What would make sense is for Tim to reinvest some of the income to hire people who would actually get these machines working again ...

There's an interesting idea - if Tim is worried about people stealing his quarters, why not get techs to rebuild games back at the barn where there's no quarters?

He'd probably want to supervise that, though. Hmm.

#365 3 years ago

It's called a "backlog"

You buy when available and work on what you can

Remember Tim was an operator who had his whole warehouse of stuff... Then went onto trying to collect all the gotliebs... At least one of all of them

#366 3 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

It's called a "backlog"
    You buy when available and work on what you can
    Remember Tim was an operator who had his whole warehouse of stuff... Then went onto trying to collect all the gotliebs... At least one of all of them

I'm just making an observation - not casting a judgment on what is right or wrong. He has obviously built this empire and can operate it as he wishes. I am just a lay person looking at everything from the outside. I'm sure it's much more complicated - but it looks like a hoarding situation much more than a work "backlog."

#367 3 years ago

The Youtube page says 2014.

Hoarding is never pretty, but at least it's something cool and not newspapers, garbage and dead cats!

Eccentricity has nothing to do with "making sense."

I can relate. I am dealing with a similar quantity of handheld electronic games and board games, feeling overwhelmed and still trying to do everything myself, intending to get them back out into the public's hands at some point. Thankfully each item won't need many hours of attention first like pins do, and I can sell most of them on eBay rather than having to set up a venue to use them, but keeping the daycare center running and single parenting a teenage daughter take priority, and I hope it doesn't require me croaking to have it all finally dealt with!

#368 3 years ago

Tim told me he still had 200 games "ready to go" that have not been deployed at the PHOF.

He claims none are duplicates of what is currently in the hall.

I was not going to question him on the definition of "ready to go", but 4 hours of shop time, +$200 parts (switches, stops, rubbers, retro LEDs.....) per game, makes that a huge undertaking.

#369 3 years ago

The Big Hit Shed was crammed with machines & parts but there were two long aisles with pins on both sides to play during the fun nights. The big-ass squirrel cage fan did make the October Vegas evenings comfortable. Then there were the walkways to allow you to get to the ball bearing machine guns and gather around the "riser" where Tim would sit and Yap on the PA for donations and the raffle results. Loved the "bushy" pics of Elvira along with some other notsopoliticallycorrect items he had there for all to see. Most were available for a donation to the Salvation Army & future PHoF.... Those who brought young kids tried to shield the young one's eyes from the reality on display. I only wish my son was able to attend at least one of them. Alas he was too young and in grade school at the time.

#370 3 years ago

From the shed tour video, it looks like he has enough pins(depending on condition) to make another whole PHOF. Or one mega-huge pinball parts sale. Buy one Space Invaders, get one free.

#371 3 years ago
    Quoted from s1500:

From the shed tour video, it looks like he has enough pins(depending on condition) to make another whole PHOF. Or one mega-huge pinball parts sale. Buy one Space Invaders, get one free.

One day there's going to be the amusement auction to end all auctions.

#372 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Pics or it never happened!

#373 3 years ago

I'm just making an observation - not casting a judgment on what is right or wrong. He has obviously built this empire and can operate it as he wishes. I am just a lay person looking at everything from the outside. I'm sure it's much more complicated - but it looks like a hoarding situation much more than a work "backlog."

I think it's the dirty underbelly most aren't aware of. All the guys with massive collections have this setup to some degree... Because reality is they buy games quicker than they can turn them around and they don't stop buying when they run out of space.

Tim was stockpiling for over a decade for when they would get the building for phof.

Time stuff was broken down and stacked... But it's in a reasonable environment. You want to know sickening... Ask about the condition of gene cunningham's storage and games before it was all liquidated.

Warehouses like these are what saved games during the periods when no one would dedicate the space or money to play them.

For every TZ some insider would say "I'd take it in and give it space!" There are dozens and dozens of titles 99% of today's hobbyists would just walk away from. Tim was saving them all.

#374 3 years ago

Personally i've never liked the "stack em high" approach to collecting. i have about 400 games and over 300 of them are restored and set up at the VFW. Another 60 are set up and restored at my house. So that leaves about 40 yet to get restored. Which will happen. it might even happen over the next year or two. the idea is to have 0% that need restoration and set up. Out of the big collections we're one of the few that have this low of a percentage of "to be done" games, with a very high set up and restored percentage.

i appreciate that others have saved machines. but frankly keeping them all seems wasteful. why not disseminate at least the duplicates (at minimum) to people that have space and drive to restore them.

We were at Tim's big hit shed about a year ago. frankly it was heart breaking. the amount of games and how they are stored and the amount of dust and dirt was just frightening. Tim is 60 years old. He would need three more lifetimes to finish even singles of his collection. I suggested that he start selling, but he got really weird. to the point where i thought there was some issue... None of this makes sense to me.

#375 3 years ago

Hoarding. Pathology. It's real. It's on TV. And yet, it's still real.

#376 3 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

i appreciate that others have saved machines. but frankly keeping them all seems wasteful. why not disseminate at least the duplicates (at minimum) to people that have space and drive to restore them

You know when Clay says it, it's the case.

My collection pales compared to Clays and Tims, but I have only 7 machines that are not set up and playable at present. They are all in the restore queue, I do them one at a time. I would like to think by the end of the year, there will be no games that are not set up and playing 99% sweetly. I have no duplicates in my collection, all one offs. If I have two (at one stage I had 4x Fish Tales..) they are tidied up and out they go. I actually kept the worst FT for myself and completely rebuilt it.

When I saw that video, it just made me a bit sad to be honest. No person needs 6 Bally Playboys. Keep the best one, sell the rest. Clear all that shit out, donate the money if you have to, but get rid of them.

I know a guy in Australia who has 4 Hercules. No sane person needs one Hercules, let alone 4 of the f*** ing things And not one of them is set up and playable. Get rid of 3 of them, at minimum ...

Just my opinion ...

rd

#377 3 years ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

I've been there a couple of times, and I'm planning to take next Friday off to pay them a visit. In my experience from the times I've been there (usually on weekends-- it's almost a 4 hour drive for me) you're absolutely right-- the place is almost always empty. It's not a function of the people or the pins though-- they have gone out of their way to be friendly, and almost all of the pins (if not all) are working at any given time. The problem there as I see it is the location... they are literally in the middle of no where. They are the better part of an hour from the nearest highway, in some tiny little burb with the nearest "real" city being Nashua. If they were closer to a highway, they would get far more people willing to travel-- but that would come with a corresponding higher cost of real estate/rent.

I am from Phoenix, AZ. I have been to PHoF many times. I went to a few events at the Big Hit shed as well... I always enjoyed my time at Tim's place. Yes it is in a crappy place. It is a pretty long bus ride off the strip. (I was at a convention for work and didn't have a rental car and because of the show, taxi's were an long wait in line... ) I felt there were a lot of locals there, and not a lot of pinball collector types...

I was in Boston last week. I drove the 45 minutes to Pelham, NH. I was very glad I did. It was BY FAR nicer than PHoF. They had Hobbit, Woz, Full Throttle, AMH, and about 20 brand new Sterns. They didn't have many EM's, but that isn't my thing. They did have a lot of classic arcade games, I played a few for nostalgia reasons. I would say that Pinball Wizard is worth a 3-4 hour drive from anywhere. The machines are spotless. And although there were a few issues with a few VUKs, the experience was awesome. I spent about $30 and left happy. Many of the newest games were $1... That was a bit of a drag... But I understand there are bills to be paid... It was as many have said almost empty, but I was there in the afternoon on a Thursday. Check out the picture (only 1/2 the place). And tell me it isn't awesome!
    I wish the owner were there as I would have liked to thanks her personally for running such a nice arcade!
    -Shawn

#378 3 years ago

I think $1 a play on new machines is fine. I've told Tim he should raise his prices. It would decrease play and hopefully the increase in per play rate would compensate. but the main thing is, it would decrease maintenance (less plays, in theory.) Tim sez $1 per play would be fine for the tourists, but it would scare away the locals. I mean he had a lot of WPC games on 5 balls per game. That seems really crazy to me, and increases maintenance big time. But what do i know? probably not much, Tim has been operating for 45 years!

#379 3 years ago

$1 per play is perfectly fine for brand new games.

From the bureau of labor statistics, $1 today is the same as 55 cents in 1990, or 35 cents in 1980.

Then again, Tim seems to be living in 1980, so maybe the point is moot.

#380 3 years ago
    Quoted from azpinguy:

Those pool tables are new since I was last there. That's roughly where the WOZ was when I was last there.

#381 3 years ago
    Quoted from azpinguy:

I am from Phoenix, AZ. I have been to PHoF many times. I went to a few events at the Big Hit shed as well... I always enjoyed my time at Tim's place. Yes it is in a crappy place. It is a pretty long bus ride off the strip. (I was at a convention for work and didn't have a rental car and because of the show, taxi's were an long wait in line... ) I felt there were a lot of locals there, and not a lot of pinball collector types...
    I was in Boston last week. I drove the 45 minutes to Pelham, NH. I was very glad I did. It was BY FAR nicer than PHoF. They had Hobbit, Woz, Full Throttle, AMH, and about 20 brand new Sterns. They didn't have many EM's, but that isn't my thing. They did have a lot of classic arcade games, I played a few for nostalgia reasons. I would say that Pinball Wizard is worth a 3-4 hour drive from anywhere. The machines are spotless. And although there were a few issues with a few VUKs, the experience was awesome. I spent about $30 and left happy. Many of the newest games were $1... That was a bit of a drag... But I understand there are bills to be paid... It was as many have said almost empty, but I was there in the afternoon on a Thursday. Check out the picture (only 1/2 the place). And tell me it isn't awesome!
    I wish the owner were there as I would have liked to thanks her personally for running such a nice arcade!
    -Shawn

That place is SPOTLESS. That's how it should look.

#382 3 years ago

I wasn't really complaining about a dollar a game. But when you are trying to figure out the shots and the game I only lasts 2-3 minutes it does give you pause... What would non-pinball enthusiasts think? Or when AMH kicks the ball out right past the right flipper, or drops it right down the middle off the magnet, you are saying WTF? I did find more comfort in the many 90's Williams games that have much longer ball times. I guess that is the way of modern pinball design...

They said the pool tables bring in lots of teenagers in the evening. I'm not sure if that is a good thing personally, but they seemed excited about it.
    -S

#383 3 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Time stuff was broken down and stacked... But it's in a reasonable environment. You want to know sickening... Ask about the condition of gene cunningham's storage and games before it was all liquidated.

Quoted from wonderpuddle:

it actually rained this weekend in Vegas and Tim had maybe a dozen games out in the parking lot behind the PHOF just soaking up the water. I don't know what the state of those games was -- maybe they were all garbage before the rain. But it was more than a little ironic to see someone who thinks of himself as the last of a dying breed of people who care about pinball to leave games outside during a rainstorm.

#384 3 years ago

I've heard he plans to expand next door.

#385 3 years ago
    Quoted from Razorbak86:

» YouTube video

Now this just like draggin nails over a blackboard for me, here i am fighting tooth and nail with other collectors over the few pinball that floats on the Swedish market, and here are some guys that just let whole sheds full of them sit and rot....LOL

#386 3 years ago

mo money
    mo pinballs
    mo problems

#387 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

mo money
    mo pinballs
    mo problems

Or

No money
    No pinballs
    No problems.

rd

#388 3 years ago

<blockquote cite=
    I know a guy in Australia who has 4 Hercules. No sane person needs one Hercules, let alone 4 of the f*** ing things And not one of them is set up and playable. Get rid of 3 of them, at minimum ...
    Just my opinion ...
    rd

I need a Hercules! OK back to Topic.

#389 3 years ago
    Quoted from Eddie:

Make an offer on mine! One old lady owner for the last 20 years (true story, she bought it from a bowling alley that closed up...)

May not have been "only driven on Sundays" though ...

rd

#390 3 years ago

Youtube Vid about this

#391 3 years ago
    Quoted from azpinguy:

Many of the newest games were $1... That was a bit of a drag... But I understand there are bills to be paid...

$1 doesn't sound bad. $5-$10 of $1 games is like 2+ hours of entertainment.

#392 3 years ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

Youtube Vid about this
    » YouTube video

That is the first time I've ever seen a local TV news segment that did not begin with the song "Pinball Wizard".

(although the phrase was mentioned, lol).

#393 3 years ago
    Quoted from roffels:

$1 doesn't sound bad.

You've got to charge at least $1 for a current game.

They don't cost $1200 new anymore.

#394 3 years ago
    Quoted from Eddie:

<blockquote cite=
    Just my opinion ...
    rd

Who is it? I don't think its who I'm thinking of which means there are 2 Australians with 4 Hercules each. I've got 1 and that is enough for anyone

#395 3 years ago
    Quoted from sleazius:

Who is it? I don't think its who I'm thinking of which means there are 2 Australians with 4 Hercules each. I've got 1 and that is enough for anyone

I don't know. I quoted from RotoDave but didn't Capture the quote markings correctly.

#396 3 years ago
    Quoted from sleazius:

You know him pretty well.

rd

#397 3 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

Or
    No money
    No pinballs
    No problems.
    rd

No Pinballs....big problem LOL

#398 3 years ago

I only have one question semi-related to this thread:

Where is the IPDB page for Triple X ???

triple_x_(resized).jpg

#399 3 years ago
    Quoted from balzofsteel:

I only have one question semi-related to this thread:
    Where is the IPDB page for Triple X ???

Just a 2-player OXO

#400 3 years ago
    Quoted from DrJoe:

Just a 2-player OXO

Right, but it was never put into production and is not represented on IPDB.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 29.95
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 47.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Electronics
    TheDudeMods
    $ 44.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Pinball Forever
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 239.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 16.00
    Tools
    PinballSolutions.eu
    £ 12.00
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Pinball Machine
    Music City Pinball
    $ 28.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 36.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 1.95
    Various Novelties
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Apparel - Unisex
    ArcadeMade
    $ 40.00
    Lighting - Backbox
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 209.99
    $ 6.00
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 89.99
    There are 499 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 10.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside