(Topic ID: 88200)

Tilting playfield against backbox on Flight 2000.

By oldschoolbob

10 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by dothedoo
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

wedge 2.jpg
upload pinball.jpg
#1 10 years ago

I read the post on tilting the playfield against the backbox. That would sure make it easier to work on the bottom of the playfield. Today I looked at my Flight 2000. It looks like it could be tilted back. Normally the playfield rests on the metal “Z” brackets but I’m concerned that pulling the playfield forward enough to rest on the wood supports it looks like it would drop about 1 ½ inches. That can’t be good.

See circled area in photo.

Thanks

Bob

upload pinball.jpgupload pinball.jpg
#2 10 years ago

Not sure how the Stern widebody's worked back then, but if you are doing anything except a small quick fix I would disconnect the playfield and work on it outside of the cab.

So much easier to work on things at a table or on a rotisserie.

To attempt to answer your question.. it looks like the bottom edge of the playfield would need to go up and over the metal things you have circled to rest against the wood where it makes an 'L' then you should be able to lean to the backbox. Again not 100% and can't see everything from your pic, but that would be my instinct on what to do given what I can see.

#3 10 years ago

Yes, you can pull the playfield past the brackets and rest it on the wood supports. I don't slide mine forward and let it drop, though. I lift the playfield up and over the brackets and set it down on the wood.

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from KloggMonkey:

it looks like the bottom edge of the playfield would need to go up and over the metal things you have circled to rest against the wood where it makes an 'L' then you should be able to lean to the backbox.

Thanks Klogg, That's the way it looks to me also - but the metal things are about 1 1/2 inches above the wood supports.

Quoted from dothedoo:

I lift the playfield up and over the brackets and set it down on the wood.

Thanks dothedoo, that playfield seems heavy - maybe 20 years ago I could do that. Perhaps I should get some help.

Thanks guys.

Bob

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from oldschoolbob:

dothedoo said:
I lift the playfield up and over the brackets and set it down on the wood.

Thanks dothedoo, that playfield seems heavy - maybe 20 years ago I could do that. Perhaps I should get some help.

Thanks guys.

Maybe you could take the brackets off, move the pf, then put the brackets back on when you're done?

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Yes, you can pull the playfield past the brackets and rest it on the wood supports. I don't slide mine forward and let it drop, though. I lift the playfield up and over the brackets and set it down on the wood.

Yes, this is the way to do it. Some of the harnesses are tighter than others, but I haven't found one classic Bally/Stern that couldn't be worked on in this fashion. Of course, Centaur and some others have pegs where you can rest the playfield instead of those wooden shelves.

Keep in mind, it is heavy, and will be harder to put back over the metal brackets when you are done.

#7 10 years ago

I was just thinking about a wood wedge (or ramp). Pull the playfield back and let it slide down the ramp.

What do you think?

Thanks

Bob

wedge 2.jpgwedge 2.jpg
#8 10 years ago

That's a good idea too. Another thing you can do when you slide the playfield out is get your hand under the top end of the pf as you slide and support it so it won't drop down to the wood rails.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 199.95
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Bob's Pinball Stuff

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Crown Point, IN
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 125.00
$ 10.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tilting-playfield-against-backbox-on-flight-2000 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.