Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by willbot
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

FullSizeRender 4.jpg
IMG_3842.JPG
FullSizeRender 3.jpg
FullSizeRender 2.jpg

#1 4 years ago

Hi Pinside. First time posting!

In need of some help. I picked up my first ever table yesterday, a project Brunswick Aspens for $50.

The table has a weird fault: Some specific score switches (a slingshot, a couple standing target etc) when hit register as a tilt.

These switches all appear (I'm not 100%) to be on one column of the switch matrix, so I think the most obvious cause is a short somewhere, but I can't see one.

There's a second problem (or possible the same one): When I picked it up the guy handed me a desoldered transistor and said to replace it. It had actually burnt out, but looking at the board there was another one missing nearby (no scorch however).

When I took the chime box out, two of the coils had burnt out! So I'm assuming this is what caused the transistor burn out (or vice versa). My understanding (and as I say I'm a pinball noob) is that coils mostly burn out when left on some how.

Could this chime failure have also damaged some logic chips, creating the tilt problem? Could something else be causing the incorrect tilt trigger? Any way I could diagnose this better?

Also I have switch and lighting diagram from the scanned manual, but it doesn't cover the logic board.

FullSizeRender 2.jpgFullSizeRender 3.jpgIMG_3842.JPG

#2 4 years ago

So, after a little poking about with a multimeter I found that both connection 1 (tilt) and 2 (the switch column causing trouble) on the board are shorted. These both go straight to this IC, making me think it is the failure.

Can anyone identify it?

My thought is that something like a Schmitt Trigger or a deals with the switch matrix. I can't find any info or a datasheet online.

FullSizeRender 4.jpg
#3 4 years ago

Bueller? Anyone? Anyone?

I'm totally stumped by this. I think I've ruled out it being a playfield short...

I also tried desoldering the leg of the 2002-5N that the tilt switch connects to, but still got the same problem. So maybe it isn't this IC that's the problem.

#4 4 years ago

The schematic for this game is not available. Folks have been searching for the board schematic and none has been found.

Firstly, disconnect the power wires -- red ones from the burned coils. Although the driver transistor maybe blown, no use taking a chance that the burned coils might be pulling down some voltage or causing some problems. Insulate the removed connectors so they don't short against something.

The problem you are working is hopefully associated with either a strobe or return line. If you can determine which switches are causing you the problem, and they are either associated with a specific strobe or return then you can follow the path to a device that may be the problem.

If your meter has a frequency counter setting, perhaps you can check the strobe lines for matching frequency.

As there is no schematic for the pc board that is the likely the reason there are no responses to your
posting.

Give it 24 hours and someone may have some information regarding the PC devices associated with the switch matrix.

http://www.arcade-museum.com/manuals-pinball/A/Aspen%20switch%20matrix.pdf

#5 4 years ago

Thanks for the tip, Minnesota. Disconnected the chimes.

Will hold out for more info / suggestions.

#6 4 years ago

Managed to track down a replacement board for this, but the vendor advised me not to buy it as they wanted $400.

I now plan to rebuild the logic board around an Atmega and TIP120 transistors.

#7 4 years ago

Be aware there are two different logic boards for ASPEN. One is for games equipped for chimes. The other is for games with a speaker. Both have different connector pinouts.

The early (chimes) ASPEN manual is on pinwiki:

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Brunswick_/_Briarwood

I have never been able to locate the board schematics.

Pinball Resource has some NOS Brunswick parts and manuals and possibly may have a board schematic.

Marco Specialties sells brand new coils for this machine.

#8 4 years ago

Thanks, Ken. It was Pinball Resource I spoke with this morning (and gave me the quote and subsequent solid advice). They said they had contacted and failed to get schematics from Brunswick / Briarwood on multiple occasions.

I've ordered some parts to build my own board. Anyone interested in schematics / blog on this process?

Rebuilding the board was my expectation when I picked the machine up. Would have been nice to get it running with original hardware. But maybe this way I can do some exciting stuff with modes, extra balls and maybe some sort of multiball mode.

5 months later
#9 3 years ago

I went ahead and completely rebuilt the logic boards with an Arduino http://hackaday.com/2015/07/27/pinball-table-gets-new-lease-of-life-with-arduino/

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 399.95
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 149.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Medisinyl Mods
$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 445.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
MI Pinball Refinery
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rods Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside