(Topic ID: 125267)

Tilt. The movie

By mswhat

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    Hot Tip sound drum.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

In the movie "Tilt, The Battle to Save Pinball" Larry DeMar had said some of the early solid state games had relays and motors who's only job was to make mechanical sounds like the older EM machines that had preceded them. Do you guys know which games he may be referring to?

#2 9 years ago

Not my Stern Stars, and that was pretty early, though it did still have chimes.

#3 9 years ago

I thought it was interesting that Flash could actually be put into a "bell/chimes" setting. I don't know what games he would had have been referring to, though.

#4 9 years ago

Future Spa had a chimes setting, which was waayy better than the electronic beeps setting.

#5 9 years ago

Looks like Williams Hot Tip was one of them

Hot Tip sound drum.jpgHot Tip sound drum.jpg

#6 9 years ago

probably a lot of the 1977 games where they were going from the SS to Em transition. They did the best to make people comfortable with the new technology.

#7 9 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

They did the best to make people comfortable with the new technology.

I was there. It didn't work. Took me a long time to get over that.

#8 9 years ago

yea, pinheads are fairly resistant to change. Look how well p2k took off. I think everyone would have came around if it continued.

#9 9 years ago

It wasn't so much the resistance to change, but when solid states arrived on the scene they felt hollow, and for the most part sounded terrible compared to what they were replacing.

P2K seemed like a novelty when it first came out. I said "cool, but let's see the new full size machine" which never came...
    RFM was also too darn easy to play.

#10 9 years ago

p2k is full size. Playfield is actually bigger than a lot of other machines.

#11 9 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

p2k is full size.

For some reason it didn't seem that way. I played the heck out of it, but was still thinking regular games would keep coming. It was at an arcade with about a hundred machines. I had no idea it was almost all coming to an end.

#12 9 years ago

the playfields are longer than many of the early SS and EM games. Just seems shorter because the playfield is recessed into the back of the cabinet. Almost touches the back of the machine.

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

the playfields are longer than many of the early SS and EM games. Just seems shorter because the playfield is recessed into the back of the cabinet. Almost touches the back of the machine.

Apples and oranges because the area that you actually play on and can *see* is much smaller. Who cares how big the piece of wood is? If P2K is so great, why can I buy one of them HUO for less than $2000 all day long even though the didn't exactly make a lot of them? Why did they get their ass kicked by Southpark (LOL) on location? The market has spoken. It was a cool niche item that ran its course.

#14 9 years ago

that's the point, the area you see and play on is longer. you play all the way to the back of the playfield. The black wood back there is the back edge of the playfield.

the reasons the price stays down, is because some are close minded to new concepts, and the fear of the prism card/CPU going out and difficult to replace or fix. Plus they only made 2 games. 1 of which is not very good.

#15 9 years ago

Dang... I was hoping the thread was about this classic film.

image.jpgimage.jpg
    #16 9 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

Apples and oranges because the area that you actually play on and can *see* is much smaller. Who cares how big the piece of wood is? If P2K is so great, why can I buy one of them HUO for less than $2000 all day long even though the didn't exactly make a lot of them? Why did they get their ass kicked by Southpark (LOL) on location? The market has spoken. It was a cool niche item that ran its course.

I don't disagree with this point, but I think another reason prices are low is due to concerns about long term reliability and the difficulty of obtaining replacement parts.

#17 9 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

image.jpg

I have a bootleg dvd of that. Seeing the old pins is cool but the movie is average at best. It's a little seedy too, very 70's. I don't think it ever got a proper dvd release.

#18 9 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I was there. It didn't work. Took me a long time to get over that.

You got over it?

#19 9 years ago
    Quoted from twenty84:

I don't disagree with this point, but I think another reason prices are low is due to concerns about long term reliability and the difficulty of obtaining replacement parts.

Well the other reason is that SWEP1 isn't that great and RfM on default settings is just way to easy. Changing a few settings on RfM, and opening the outlanes and upping the pitch make it a much more enjoyable game and much more difficult. I think if more people played it this way they would like it more.

#20 9 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

If P2K is so great, why can I buy one of them HUO for less than $2000 all day long even though the didn't exactly make a lot of them?

You mean less than $3000? I've never seen an RFM go for less than 2400 here (even if not HUO). The "market" may have spoken, but it's still the most popular game in my arcade when my friends and come over. It's also my son's favorite (he's 16). I think RFM is a great pin at $2500 (what I paid for mine).

#21 9 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I've never seen an RFM go for less than 2400 here (even if not HUO).

I was referring to SWE1. On the other hand I picked up an HUO RFM with an NIB SWE1 kit for a friend of mine for $2800 total a couple of years ago.

Quoted from swampfire:

it's still the most popular game in my arcade when my friends and come over. It's also my son's favorite (he's 16).

That is great! You left out the part of my post where I said that it is a "cool niche item". No doubt it is popular with kids and non-pinball people. Point is that with only 2 games available and 15 years to think about it, pinball players and collectors have rejected this format. If for some reason there was going to be a revelation, it would have happened by now, the prices would be huge for these games and we would be seeing RFMr.

#22 9 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

Point is that with only 2 games available and 15 years to think about it, pinball players and collectors have rejected this format.

Maybe. But I'd argue that Lexie Lightspeed is the spiritual successor to RFM. Lots of interaction with video on the playfield. Video/pinball integration certainly is not dead. And I know at least a few collectors who haven't rejected the P2K format (after all, it's not operators buying all these RFMs).

#23 9 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

You got over it?

When I was finally able to acquire my own EM games, yes I got over it. I thought at the time I would never see them again.

#24 9 years ago
    Quoted from MarcG:

I have a bootleg dvd of that. Seeing the old pins is cool but the movie is average at best

Are there any better movies/documentaries available? (just found this one : https://vimeo.com/74438437)

#25 9 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Maybe. But I'd argue that Lexie Lightspeed is the spiritual successor to RFM. Lots of interaction with video on the playfield. Video/pinball integration certainly is not dead. And I know at least a few collectors who haven't rejected the P2K format (after all, it's not operators buying all these RFMs).

I sort-of agree there, but having played both SWEP1 and RFM plenty of times locally, I have to say that Lexy is a completely different animal. I very much agree that the partial reflection is a neat concept and was executed reasonably well, but it really is too darn hard to see anything in the back half of the pin2k machines and they really suffer from the "hidden ball" effect and feel a lot smaller than they actually are. It kind of kills the "nailed it" long flow shot arc feeling and return. It's also pretty difficult to figure out where the shots actually are without squinting and puzzling over it.

The play style of Lexy in modes where you're trying to hit virtual targets is much, much closer to that of earlier machines with playfield rollover switches down in the lower playfield area. Actually, the "warehouse" mode *really* brought that that to mind the first time I played it because it pretty much emulates the play style of many EMs with a very closed-off back half where you're trying to keep the ball in play in the lower playfield while making dangerous short shots. It's mean and pretty rewarding, it also actually feels like you've gone into a crowded warehouse and don't have a lot of room to maneuver. During multiballs and most other modes it's the same modern snappy flow return to flipper action of a fully modern machine.

#26 9 years ago
    Quoted from MarcG:

I have a bootleg dvd of that. Seeing the old pins is cool but the movie is average at best. It's a little seedy too, very 70's. I don't think it ever got a proper dvd release.

Yeah... I saw it when it first came out and again recently on YouTube. Very strange flick.

#27 9 years ago

Sometimes it's easier to easy people into newer technology. I always thought it would be a good idea for Stern to introduce a title with an LCD display but allow a setting to show DMD style dots instead of the video display. That way everyone wins. Sometimes you just gotta give the public what it wants.

#28 9 years ago

Yes star gazer. Tilt the battle to save pinball, chasing ghosts, king of kong, tommy
    Tilt throw the seedy side of pinball in the lime light. Which I think happened a lot more than people think. Hell in arcades by me if you were " king of the machine" it was yours. someone had to pay for you and play against you. I still have seen it in bars with pool.
    My friends and I would sometimes make small bets or winner buys the fries but I am guessing the gambling aspect was not really far off. Ever heard of playing madden for big money.

#29 9 years ago
    Quoted from Star_Gazer:

Are there any better movies/documentaries available? (just found this one :

I hadn't seen that one before. Much more positive.

#30 9 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

Yeah... I saw it when it first came out and again recently on YouTube. Very strange flick.

LOL - I've never even heard of that.. sounds like someone tried very hard to force pinball into a plot.. a pinball hustler! lol, how many hours would it take to hustle someone decent at pinball.

I think a pinball movie should be more along the lines of "The pick of destiny" - With his final breath, Steve Kordek revealed he had created his life's masterpiece - a pinball table with a 10 digit display that granted a wish if you could reach 1,000,000,000 points. He created only one and nobody knows where it resides to this day...............

#31 9 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

image.jpg

I missed the L in the thread title entirely and got REALLY excited.

#32 9 years ago
    Quoted from mark532011:

LOL - I've never even heard of that.. sounds like someone tried very hard to force pinball into a plot.. a pinball hustler! lol, how many hours would it take to hustle someone decent at pinball.
    I think a pinball movie should be more along the lines of "The pick of destiny" - With his final breath, Steve Kordek revealed he had created his life's masterpiece - a pinball table with a 10 digit display that granted a wish if you could reach 1,000,000,000 points. He created only one and nobody knows where it resides to this day...............

Ha! Like I said, it's on Youtube...Check it out.

Super creepy beginning scene when a very young Brooke Shields proposes a threesome with an old fat truck driver and his wife... (yech!) .....The machine they use in the film is custom and has been at PAGG a few times.

#33 9 years ago
    Quoted from mswhat:

In the movie "Tilt, The Battle to Save Pinball" Larry DeMar had said some of the early solid state games had relays and motors who's only job was to make mechanical sounds like the older EM machines that had preceded them. Do you guys know which games he may be referring to?

He was speaking about Williams games making the transition. I don't believe he was implying this across the whole industry.

I think it was just the first 2 or 3 Williams games during the transition that did this.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tilt-the-movie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.