Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Prmailers
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

I was watching the Star Trek tutorial. I noticed Bowden shaking the pin pretty good to avoid a draino.
    But I seem to be tilt-warning twice and most likely tilting if I do what he does on my setup.
    I've got rubber feet on my games because their on hardwood floor.

Under tech info on Metallica it said check tilt bob, but it looked fine. Perhaps it's just too high up or maybe I just don't know how to play -- some days I'm awesome at nudging and somedays I'm not. In any case, suggestions for setting this up properly are welcome!

#2 10 years ago

it's all personal preference. Personally, I set it to about medium tightness. meaning if someone leans on the game, and gets momentum going, it won't tilt out on them but will give warnings from fairly good nudge. and if the machine moves you most likely will tilt out.

Bowen uses a tech of jarring the machine one direction and counter acts that by quickly moving the opposite direction, eliminating the rocking motion. it's a train tech that must be practiced to avoid tilting out.

#3 10 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Bowen uses a tech of jarring the machine one direction and counter acts that by quickly moving the opposite direction, eliminating the rocking motion.

Would love to learn that technique! Has to be very precise I would imagine.

#4 10 years ago

When you say medium, how far the the bob come up over the circle?

#5 10 years ago
    Quoted from huo:

Put the game in switch test mode and shake the machine to you liking until the switch registers.

#6 10 years ago
    Quoted from huo:

Start at half way up the bob, then lower if it's too tight. There is no 'official setting' for tilts.

Before making any adjustments, make sure the bob is centered in the circle. They often aren't. Remove the balls and raise the playfield all the way so you can look directly down on it. Loosen screws or slightly bend the ring or the bracket that holds the bob if needed to get it properly centered. An off center tilt bob is the worst. Because the bobs are shipped in the coin box (not installed at the factory), I doubt if Stern checks the centering in QA.

Anyone who owns a Stern that hasn't checked this should probably do so. They're often at least slightly off. Same goes for pretty much any manufacturer. I've also found them off on WMS games and one OZ. If you nudge, make sure you're centered.

#7 10 years ago

We have most Sterns at BumperNets set with about 1/4 to 3/8 inch of the bob above the circle. + 1 to the comment about centering the weight. This is essential!

#8 10 years ago

I usually leave a 3/16" gap between the ring and bob.

#9 10 years ago

I use the Nimblepin method. If it doesn't tilt while he's over, I adjust it higher.

#10 10 years ago

there are ways to nudge, slap without tilt even on tight tilts that will amaze you.
    it pends where you hit the machine, if its an em, ss, dmd, wide body, etc.
    if you watch zach sharpe or keith elwin, you will understand.
    you play the game, it titls if you nudge once.
    they play the same gaem and they man handle it without tilting.
    its all about physics, length of "nudge" pressure, intensity.
    slamming down on lockbar produces big nudge/bump with small movement of plumb bob for example.
    buy pinball 101 dvd , you can learn plenty.

#11 10 years ago

I think phishrace nailed this. Im pretty sure I noticed at least one game being off centered, if not more.
    But never looking into it or knowing how to fix it.

My nudging was totally down, as in I think I had it completely figured out. But then playing on location must have reset this in my head...

#12 10 years ago

I played a new a new WOZ a couple of weeks ago that i tilted 3 times on, and i never tilt!

Took a look at the tilt bob and sure enough, it wasn't centered.

Check that mech!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tilt-bob-settings and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.