Time to start a new project! I just recently finished restoring my Williams Space Station, so I feel up to the challenge of re-theming and programing my own game. I didn't want to do something completely from scratch, because that's too expensive. And i didn't want to do anything too complex and ambitious, because I'd probably never finish it. I wanted a 'playfield-complete' pin, that was old-timey simple for rules, and had no guts inside, so I wasn't ruining a pin someone else would otherwise restore. I have been searching for a table that fit that description for 6 months or so, and finally found what I was looking for. Foxy Lady.
Picked up this table for $175 on craigs list. The glass is in good condition. The playfield is in good condition. The cabinet has no water damage. And under the hood the machine is completely empty. Exactly what I've been looking for. The previous owner had it sitting in storage for 20 years, as he never got around to making it a coffee table.
I'm looking to eventually sell the table, so I'm going with a non license theme, TIKI. I think TIKI fits the table well because its going to be an old fashioned slow play relaxing table compared to modern machines, and having a cocktail table is perfect for having a tiki drink while you play! (though I still don't think I'd ever risk a drink on a Pin)
Since the machine has no guts, I will have to completely re design gameplay, and program some sort of controller (either an Arduino, or Raspberry Pi) to run the game's code. In addition to re-programing the rules, I'm also going to add some playfield features:
- The round window in the center playfield will probably contain some sort of tiki god mask that will light up during wizzard mode, or multiball. Otherwise the Tinted glass will just be dark, and only show brief flashes of the Tiki god's fury during big jackpot scores.
- I'm removing the roll-over inserts and installing 3 drop targets. These targets will pop up in certain modes like 'The Scoleri Bros' or 'Trolls' mode.
- The 3 saucers will act like normal scoring objectives most the game, but if multiball mode is achieved, the saucers will all become 'ball locks'. Lock all 3 saucers and Multiball will begin, by kicking them all out at once. The objective is to re-load all the locks for a jackpot, and the balls will multiball again.
- need to install a 4-ball Trough in the game, as it is currently a single ball machine.
- would like to use an LED screen for scoring, but that's a bit beyond my current knowledge of coding, so I'll cross that bridge when i come to it.
I'll be updating soon with updates on stripping the machine and some concepts on art and design! So Excited!