Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 61 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by JoeGrenuk
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

13031DE8-3348-42B8-9ADD-9C1A0AFBE2F6.jpeg
    DA7523C3-6DDF-4D20-BB95-6D0710EC2C31 (resized).jpeg
    CE0FB60E-ED51-43A3-B60B-E8FF5ED8B3E9 (resized).jpeg
    There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 5 years ago

Congrats to Tiger Woods on a long hard comeback in winning his 15th major! It has been too long and golf hasn't seemed the same in the interim.

Been quite a while since I have shot a round, but I suddenly feel like hitting the links!

#2 5 years ago

What a match, that was awesome!

#3 5 years ago

Yes! that was fun to watch! Augusta is just so beautiful. I dug out my EA sports XBOX360 Tiger at the Masters 2012 game just now.

#4 5 years ago

I have never been a Tiger Woods fan but he played great and his experience won the tournament. I somehow knew he was going to win even when he was a couple of strokes back. It was fun to watch

#5 5 years ago

So cool to finally see Tiger really getting his mojo back after all this time! When I saw the look in his eye as he was shaking off the ankle strain after almost getting tripped/knocked down the other day I knew the spark was still alive and well, and then here we are today!

#6 5 years ago

So goes Tiger, so goes the popularity of the game of golf .

Lets see if the guy i bet $200 4 years ago pays up ?

The bet , Guy at the bar says, Tiger will never win another major .
    Me : Ill take that bet ! $200 bucks , we shake hands .

James i texted you...

#7 5 years ago

I've never seen a moment like that at Augusta...

#8 5 years ago

Ok, back to pinball!

#9 5 years ago

The roars of the crowds at Augusta are like nothing else in sports.

#10 5 years ago

Spectacular! Francesco gave it away and Tiger was clutch in the last five holes.

#11 5 years ago

Pinball tonight/golf tomorrow.Gawd I'd love to play Augusta.

#12 5 years ago

Amazing to read how much the books took a bath on this. One person won 1.2 million.

Also amazing to hear the crowd’s reaction. America just loves a comeback story. This guy cheated on his wife and was addicted to sex. But time changes the narrative.

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from jorge5240:

... Also amazing to hear the crowd’s reaction. America just loves a comeback story. This guy cheated on his wife and was addicted to sex. But time changes the narrative.

We sure do - everyone loves a winner! The Augusta atmosphere really is electric when a superstar like Tiger is contending.

Infidelities and associated tool-like behavior aside, you have to hand it to the guy for battling his way back from neck, achilles tendon, knee, and back injuries - including 4 back surgeries since his career collapse. All the while, totally reworking his golf swing and fighting Old Man Time on top of it.

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from golfingdad1:

So goes Tiger, so goes the popularity of the game of golf .
    Lets see if the guy i bet $200 4 years ago pays up ?
    The bet , Guy at the bar says, Tiger will never win another major .
    Me : Ill take that bet ! $200 bucks , we shake hands .
    James i texted you...

How about the guy that plopped down $85,000 on Tiger to win at 14 to 1?

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/tiger-woods-masters-win-makes-one-gambler-1-2-million-richer

#15 5 years ago

At the Sox game today. More people watching tiger than the game. Great to see him win another.

CE0FB60E-ED51-43A3-B60B-E8FF5ED8B3E9 (resized).jpegCE0FB60E-ED51-43A3-B60B-E8FF5ED8B3E9 (resized).jpegDA7523C3-6DDF-4D20-BB95-6D0710EC2C31 (resized).jpegDA7523C3-6DDF-4D20-BB95-6D0710EC2C31 (resized).jpeg
    #16 5 years ago

What a masters that was all the greats and the GOAT wins .

#17 5 years ago

There was something there that seemed different this time. Tiger has always been a cool customer, no doubt about it. But then again, he would certainly let emotions bubble up during a match. If he missed a shot, he could curse, even whack his club in the ground. If he made a great putt, he would fist pump it and get riled up. Not this time. The ride was not clean and smooth the whole way. He had a few misses, a few slip-ups. When these happened, he did not over react. In fact, he hardly reacted at all. There were some great shots as well. Again, he did not react to these either. All the way, right up until the very very end when he put in the last putt, he maintained the same face. Not upset, not happy, not even grim determination really. Just calm, cool, emotional control.

Is that a product of his getting older, or a result that comes out of all the struggles he had to go through to make this comeback? I don't know, but it doesn't bode well for his future competitors. When you are that good and you can maintain emotional composure and channel that energy into performance, you are going to be hard to beat!

#18 5 years ago

I know pinside isn’t a competitive pinball forum for the most part, but I will watch televised golf because competitive pinball can be closest compared to competitive golf. Requires mental focus above all else. Even the best of the best only win 10-15% of events. No defense, just the player against the course/machine. It’s a great technical sport to watch. I hated playing golf though, the few times I tried it. *shrug*

Tiger is a phenom, only one in a generation in any sport sees anything like him. I know he fucked up his personal life, but the sinner in all of us wants to see redemption and change.

#19 5 years ago

Never a Woods fan, but I tip my cap to him for one hell of a win.

#20 5 years ago

Love golf and love Tiger.
    That was a epic Masters final round.

#21 5 years ago

"The hell you do", quote from David Duval after hearing all the young guys on tour claim they wanted a piece of Tiger in his prime last year. I think they should all look back at how he played Pebble in 2000. That field lost by 15. What were any of them gonna do? Play the best golf of their life, and lose by 10. So much of Pebble is local course knowledge, just like Augusta. And that just worked out pretty well for him.

#22 5 years ago

Tiger entered the Masters disguised as a lamb. He’s leaving tonight dressed as Tiger ... or maybe L I O N M A N !

2 great days of weather. Lots of lead changes. 2019 was one hella Masters. Sunday is my day for sporting activity. Sat on the sofa eating chips and cheering the men on.

#23 5 years ago

Personally I think this is the greatest comeback in professional sports. Just look at the field of players when Tiger last won a major 11 years ago, none of them were high up on the leaderboard today. To still be playing competitively as well as winning a major with the current field of players, coming back after not only what happened with his personal life but especially after the back fusion sugery is nothing short of incredible. What a tournament.

#24 5 years ago

George foreman winning back the title at age 45 and 20 years between belts has him beat.

Tiger wasn’t getting hit in the face (ex wife not included).

#25 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

George foreman winning back the title at age 45 and 20 years between belts has him beat.
    Tiger wasn’t getting hit in the face (ex wife not included).

Michael Moorer?

Boxing: beat one guy, one punch (literally for Foreman).

Golf: beat every guy.

No contest.

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Personally I think this is the greatest comeback in professional sports.

Absolutely incredible comeback. People younger than me though mostly forget Ben Hogan got better after the famous car crash. Developed the swing that everyone pre golf monitor wanted to emulate. Went from hooking the ball to hitting the ball flight (perfect fade) that most everyone wanted to hit under pressure. I overheard Claude Harmon (Butch Harmon's father, Masters champ 1948) say to a member about this subject years ago. His comment was to the effect that his best friends weren't sure he'd walk, much less play, much less play way, way better. "And it has to be the greatest comeback in the history of sports, cause I never won another major" as he walked off laughing.

#27 5 years ago

Yes best comeback ever.I would not be surprised if he now passes the Golden Bear.

#28 5 years ago

Tiger's got probably 5 years of majors as a favorite left. 19 more tourneys to win 3 or 4. Pebble Beach up next where he has an advantage over everyone but Dustin Johnson. So much local knowledge there. And 4 more years at Augusta. He wins 3 or 4 more, it will be. But until then, we're all on a sugar high from today.
    Edit. PGA is next. First time played before US Open since the 40s. Those New York crowds at Bethpage (too many crazies to call a gallery) will go nuts. He has a serious chance to win first 3 this year.

#29 5 years ago
    Quoted from jamesmc:

Pebble Beach up next where he has an advantage over everyone but Dustin Johnson.

Dustin Johnson has a well-earned reputation for being a little slow, not mentally tough. Ricky Fowler once dished out a left-handed compliment to Johnson when he talked about how Johnson's brain was his biggest asset, because he forgets things quickly.

I know Johnson is #1 in the world. But I don't think he can take Tiger on a Sunday when it matters.

#30 5 years ago
    Quoted from jorge5240:

addicted to sex.

What, you mean there are people not addicted to sex????? Who knew, does that make me rare and fun tp play with or just rare?

#31 5 years ago

Horses for courses. Dustin knows Pebble and has a history of playing well there. He's one of a handful of players who can out talent the field while hot and win by multiple shots. But if it's close on Sunday, my money is on Tiger. No matter who he's against. This was his first come back in a major. A friend told me that playing against Tiger was like being the visiting team in an nfl playoff game.

#32 5 years ago

I just wish there was more drama in the finish

#33 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinaholic:

I just wish there was more drama in the finish

Had Koepka made his put there sure would have been.

#34 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mando:

Had Koepka made his put there sure would have been.

Pretty sure Tiger knew Koepka missed that put going into his second shot hence the conservative layup. He could have hit a cut shot into the green if he needed to be aggressive, draw wasn’t an option with tree branch issues.

I thought it was a highly entertaining back 9 all around, maybe some of the most movement on the leader board in a long time.

#35 5 years ago

LOVE watching Augusta. That course is like no other.

#36 5 years ago
    Quoted from JoeGrenuk:

Michael Moorer?
    Boxing: beat one guy, one punch (literally for Foreman).
    Golf: beat every guy.
    No contest.

LMAO

I think I'd do better in a round of golf vs. Tiger than you'd do in the ring against Moorer!

#37 5 years ago
    Quoted from Psw757:

Pretty sure Tiger knew Koepka missed that put going into his second shot hence the conservative layup. He could have hit a cut shot into the green if he needed to be aggressive, draw wasn’t an option with tree branch issues.
    I thought it was a highly entertaining back 9 all around, maybe some of the most movement on the leader board in a long time.

Oh no doubt , but it would have forced him to play a better shot into the green .

#38 5 years ago

Koepka had very makable putts on #17 and #18

#39 5 years ago
    Quoted from eagle18:

Koepka had very makable putts on #17 and #18

Not a fan of his. Seems to arrogant.

#40 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mando:

Oh no doubt , but it would have forced him to play a better shot into the green .

I was hoping he would stay aggressive to eliminate any chance of a playoff. He exhibited his course knowledge and wisdom several times on the back 9 yesterday. Xander really had some bad iron shots and putts down the stretch which if he had the knowledge of the course could have made it really interesting, he was at -12 when it unraveled for him.

#41 5 years ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

Same feeling here, don’t like the guy.

#42 5 years ago
    Quoted from jamesmc:

Tiger's got probably 5 years of majors as a favorite left. 19 more tourneys to win 3 or 4. Pebble Beach up next where he has an advantage over everyone but Dustin Johnson. So much local knowledge there. And 4 more years at Augusta. He wins 3 or 4 more, it will be. But until then, we're all on a sugar high from today.
    Edit. PGA is next. First time played before US Open since the 40s. Those New York crowds at Bethpage (too many crazies to call a gallery) will go nuts. He has a serious chance to win first 3 this year.

Actually they rearranged the schedule this year. Bethpage Black (The PGA Championship) is next.

2019 majors schedule
    April 11-14: Masters
    May 16-19 PGA Championship — Bethpage Black; Farmingdale, N.Y.
    June 13-16: U.S. Open — Pebble Beach; Pebble Beach, Calif.
    July 18-21: British Open — Royal Portrush; Portrush, Northern Ireland

#43 5 years ago

I really enjoyed the shit show on 12 yesterday.

#44 5 years ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

My main irritations with Koepka are that he is a total bore when being interviewed, and he does not win enough outside of majors which is baffling to me. Other than that he is an amazing athlete and appears to have all of the golf skills to be a great.
    I seriously doubt he is such a monotone robot in private that he is in interviews. Come to think of it, he seems a bit emotionless on the course as well.

#45 5 years ago
    Quoted from jamesmc:

If Tiger can drive it like this past weekend and not miss as many 3-6 foot putts as he did on day 1-2 he is back to being almost unbeatable. He sinks some of those easy putts in the early rounds, he beats or gets very close to his best -18 finish at the masters. Really a solid tournament for him.

#46 5 years ago

I have never been a fan of Tiger. Never cared for how he handled himself on or off the course. Golf is a sport where you are expected to call penalties on yourself. In the past when asked how his tournament went (one that he didn't win), he would give an a-hole response along the lines of, I didn't win. Winning is all that matters.
    Having said that, Tiger seems a little different in how he carries himself nowadays. Doesn't seem quite as arrogant. I don't think he would have ever had the interaction he had with Kevin Na at the Player's Championship this year back in his heyday. I will still pull for other golfers to win instead of him simply because I always pull for the underdog.

#47 5 years ago

Has anyone ever seen Poulter win a tournament? Does it seem like that dude always shits the bed on Sunday?

#48 5 years ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

Has anyone ever seen Poulter win a tournament? Does it seem like that dude always shits the bed on Sunday?

He really fell apart, I was amazed at how bad Finau and Molinari shit the bed after the turn. There had to be tremendous pressure playing with Tiger and the fan support he was getting. I kept saying of Molinari on the front 9, when is this SOB going to miss a putt! He was like 20/20 scrambling going into 12.

#49 5 years ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

Needs a diaper and rubber sheets.

Here's a story from 2008, where Poulter is talking that he "is the only golfer who can challenge Tiger Woods". http://www.espn.com/golf/news/story?id=3221755

From that point forward, Poulter has crapped out so many times, it seems like he has convinced himself that somebody, anybody, is going to beat him.

He's won three times on PGA tour: 2010, 2012 and 2018 when he won the Houston Open is a playoff ...get ready...over Beau Hossler. Beau was so puckered to be there he tripled the first playoff hole and handed the trophy to Poulter, who parred the hole.

#50 5 years ago
    Quoted from rogerroger:

... Having said that, Tiger seems a little different in how he carries himself nowadays. Doesn't seem quite as arrogant. I don't think he would have ever had the interaction he had with Kevin Na at the Player's Championship this year back in his heyday. ...

I don't watch nearly as much golf as I used to at one point, but it was good to hear various TV correspondents and fellow pro players say yesterday that Tiger has supposedly changed for the better in this regard.

Quoted from gliebig:

He may do it more often, but it will be hard to topple Greg Norman from the all-time Final Round STB pedestal of shame.

There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tiger-s-back-who-likes-golf?hl=eagle18 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.