(Topic ID: 146739)

Tie Back Diodes! Tell me about them.

By kporter946286

8 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

So I have problem with a TAF I have been working on for a friend and I stumbled upon Tieback diodes. I had never heard of them before and not much out on there on the issue.

I have read the PinWiki and other sites about them but it still seems foggy. Why were they used? Does it matter which side of the Coil its attached too. Ect Ect.

I need you guys to give me your $0.02 on Tieback Diodes.

For my specific example, the issues I have had with TAF are related to Sol. #26 "The Thing Eject Hole". The other Solnoids on this Diode Tieback chain are Sol #25 Thing Motor, Sol #27 Book Case Motor and Sol #28 Swamp Release.

Why are these labeled as "Flasher" Solnoids?

I have posted my issue a few times on here and haven't got too far, I will post again If you want more of a background as to why I am asking the question.

Long story short.

Had a Blown fuse related to Secondary Solenoids. Found that the Thing eject hole was activating upon start up. I replaced the coil (as it was the wrong coil) and driver and started machine again. No fuse blown! Hurrah. We played a game and got ball into Thing eject. It ejected it but then I started smelling smoke.

The Coil activated but never deactivated. Turned game off, Coil appeared to be ok. Driver checked out ok. Turned game back on same thing once I hit the switch to activate the Thing Kick out, that small coil activates and doesn't shut off. I have checked the Driver and Pre-Driver and they both are testing fine. Not sure why the coil is not turning off after it fires.

Then I found Tie back diodes and I am wondering Did I solder the coil back together correctly. (If anyone had a photo of the Thing eject hole coil that would be cool). So Let me know what you know. Thanks

#2 8 years ago

No diode on the coil, so it doesn't matter which lugs wires go to. Just don't mix up purple with green stripe wires, keep on one lug.

2 wires - purple with green stripe to one lug. Blue wire with red stripe to other lug.

Sorry, couldn't get a good picture of it.

LTG : )™

#3 8 years ago

LTG

Do you have any back story of why this was done on this and a few other games? Or is it truly just unknown? And the as long as that string of wiring is consistent all should be good. I mean, the thinner Purple with green stripe should run to the same coil side for all 4 coils correct

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from kporter946286:

Do you have any back story of why this was done

No.

Quoted from kporter946286:

the thinner Purple with green stripe should run to the same coil side for all 4 coils correct

Doesn't matter which side, as long as you keep purple with green stripe wires together on same lug.

LTG : )™

#5 8 years ago

The WMS power/driver board purposed the first 8 (left most) TIP-102s for flashers, which don't require the snubber diode so they weren't designed into the board.
However, when one of these circuits is used for a coil, or motor, the diode becomes necessary.
That's the story.

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Blown_.2F_Failing_Q20_Transistor_on_the_Driver_Board_and_the_Diode_Tieback
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.Team-EM.com
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#6 8 years ago

Wow, Chris again blowing me away. I didn't want to bug you again! LOL! Thanks.

p.s.

The game is not at my house so I am researching and gaining as much knowledge as possible so when I am there I have info already. Thanks again!

p.s.s.

I read that link multiple times. I guess It didnt sink in until you explained it again.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 67.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 1,159.00
€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 26.99
Playfield - Other
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 19.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 159.00
Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 84.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tie-back-diodes-tell-me-about-them and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.