Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 79 posts
  • 42 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by dhutton
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Seriously, WTF (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazylevi.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#11 1 year ago

It really boils down to the same as pretty much any other market or hobby: supply and demand.

The Metallica shows are at a stadium. If you think they are overpriced, just watch ticket prices. They routinely drop prices if shows aren't selling, and the same can be found on the aftermarket like Stubhub etc.

If prices don't drop, well, tough titty, guess you'll just have to stay home that night.

It doesn't really bother me either way, I buy tickets to shows I want to go to if I think it's worth it. Just like anything else I spend my money on.

What cracks me up is the once every 10-years thing when it suddenly becomes news. Some Senator can't get tickets for his daughter for Taylor Swift? Issue a press release and start an investigation! Where was this guy when I was trying to get AC/DC tickets 15 years ago!? Nothing has changed.

In the end, you'll never make everybody happy. Nobody is entitled to a Taylor Swift ticket. She's playing 60,000 seat stadiums. If 400,000 people want tickets to the show, well, do the math. That's not Ticketmaster's fault.

As far as the specific example posted - $960 for four good tickets to Metallica (it's a two day ticket) doesn't seem too outrageous to me. That's $240 per show per ticket to see Metallica. Perfectly fair value in 2022 to see a huge band like that (if a little on the cheap side). People always gripe about how they saw Metallica in 1984 for $12...I mean, how much money were you earning in 1984? What percentage of your net worth was $12 in 1984, vs. now? How much more does everything you buy cost today than it did in 1984? It's not 1984 anymore.

#23 1 year ago
    Quoted from boscokid:

Roger did two shows in Philly - first one was sold out, the 2nd one had many tickets still available at the box office. You can imagine the implosion on the secondary market even for good seats. Lower level seats were about $75 and forget about reselling uppers

Roger Waters at Madison Square Garden (two shows) was $250 a ticket for good lowers. I bought four, before the pandemic.

By the time the shows actually happened, Ticketmaster was selling these same tickets for $125. Don't really care, just pointing out what I had said originally. Much like pinball, it's a market value situation.

At least I bought them at the box office (which is right next to my office) so tickets weren't $50 more expensive. Yes, it's still an option that people forget about. You don't always have to buy from Ticketmaster.

#56 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I just went through my old email, and found the class action lawsuit against ticketmaster a number of years ago about their fees:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=Schlesinger+v.+Ticketmaster
    The lawsuit was initially filed in 2003, settled in 2013, the settlement was approved in 2015, and in 2016 past customers received tickets/discounts as compensation from the result of the lawsuit.

Yeah it was a fantastic payout.

Everybody got an email with a code for terrible seats (lawn seats) for various summer shows that weren’t selling.

Epic!

#64 1 year ago

I couldn’t be less done!

I love going to shows.

#66 1 year ago
    Quoted from lancestorm:

$12 in 1984 is equivalent in purchasing power to about $34.42 today, an increase of $22.42 over 38 years. Ridiculously inflated prices these days no matter the net worth

Surely YOUR purchasing power has increased since 1984? If it hasn’t you’ve made some pretty poor life choices.

Again, it’s just like pinball. Concert tickets were wildly underpriced forever, and bands got sick of scalpers stealing all their profits. You really think a ticket to see Metallica should cost $34? Why? So they can be bought by scalpers who sell them for market value?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazylevi.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ticketmaster-and-ticket-prices?tu=crazylevi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.