View topic image gallery

IMG_4231 (resized).jpg
Dead Flip copy (resized).jpg
Tale of theTape copy (resized).jpg
Rogers_medium (resized).png
5f5726775a88e89d82bca4b92e88d7b79684f5d6.png (resized).jpg
164C66E0-4911-4E18-9617-50D5F0CAB4D6.jpeg
#1 5 years ago

THRILLA IN STERNILLA! This Wednesday LIVE at 3pmCST on Dead Flip : Pinball Streaming from Stern HQ, pinball champions Zach Sharpe VS Keith Elwin for a Project Pinball Charity / Path of Play! Deadpool Premium!

http://deadflip.com/
http://projectpinball.org/
http://pathofplay.com/
http://sternpinball.com/

164C66E0-4911-4E18-9617-50D5F0CAB4D6.jpeg164C66E0-4911-4E18-9617-50D5F0CAB4D6.jpeg
#2 5 years ago

I really like what Stern has been doing!!

1 week later
#3 5 years ago

Any link to Thrilla in Sternilla podcast? (no spoilers)

#4 5 years ago

I believe this was postponed to next week the 26th.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from evanc:

Thanks for the heads up, that makes sense. Poor marketing though if hardly anybody knows.

#6 5 years ago

The name of this is so terrible. The "Thrilla in Manila" happened in Manila - not Man. WTF is Stern doing. If they wanted to ape the naming they should have picked something that rhymed with Stern.

Literally unwatchable.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from evanc:

Yes, I believe that just like Sandy Koufax decided to sit out game 1 of the World Series in 1965, Zach chose atone for his sins instead of facing off against the GOAT.

Next week, the showdown awaits!

#8 5 years ago

Lets get this pumped up! I just bought some tickets. They are only $5 each. Should be a fun event to watch and all for charity!

5f5726775a88e89d82bca4b92e88d7b79684f5d6.png (resized).jpg5f5726775a88e89d82bca4b92e88d7b79684f5d6.png (resized).jpg
#9 5 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

The name of this is so terrible. The "Thrilla in Manila" happened in Manila - not Man. WTF is Stern doing. If they wanted to ape the naming they should have picked something that rhymed with Stern.
Literally unwatchable.

"Stern of the Union" doesn't really make any sense either. Doesn't really matter I guess! I look forward to seeing "Stern" crobarred into other places it doesn't really belong.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

"Stern of the Union" doesn't really make any sense either. Doesn't really matter I guess! I look forward to seeing "Stern" crobarred into other places it doesn't really belong.

True. Zach may have some decent marketing skills, but his word-play skills are horrible.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

True. Zach may have some decent marketing skills, but his word-play skills are horrible.

They are doing something the pinball community enjoys to support a Charity. How can this be bad in any way? The winner is the Charity not the event title.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Zach chose atone for his sins instead of facing off against the GOAT.

“Zach chose” ... or our dad caught wind of this and might have had a word or two with him. Both are in the realm of possibility

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:

“Zach chose” ... or our dad caught wind of this and might have had a word or two with him. Both are in the realm of possibility

Hopefully it’s still on. How about spending the time to rebrand it with a better name?

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

They are doing something the pinball community enjoys to support a Charity. How can this be bad in any way? The winner is the Charity not the event title.

Haha name is so bad its funny. Only curmudgeons will let it effect them. I look forward to watching two of the best players in the world go head-to-head. Both are amazing to watch. We are still talking about the PAPA and Clepin Finals. Keith was ridiculous. I've played against Zach here in Florida years ago and can tell you that it was like Mike Tyson boxing against Woody Allen. (Had to use a boxing reference...)

#15 5 years ago

Glad I saw this thread. Have been looking every day for a youtube link to rewatch. This is marketed so poorly.

#16 5 years ago

only on pinside can people trash the name of a charity event lol like who give a s*&^, pinball is a game and its suppose to be fun and this is for a good cause.

Rogers_medium (resized).pngRogers_medium (resized).png

#17 5 years ago

I don't get all the hubbub about the name. It's fine. Not like they're naming a child, it's a one-off pinball stream. Most of those don't even have names.

Looking forward to it!

#18 5 years ago

I didn't have an issue finding out it was moved, but I do follow Dead Flip and Stern on Facebook.

#19 5 years ago

Stern is laughing all the way to the bank.

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

The name of this is so terrible. The "Thrilla in Manila" happened in Manila - not Man.

I think it’s a funny title, besides I can’t think of a good catchy word to rhyme with “Chicago”

However, I get what you are saying, I’m just not bothered by the title. As I said, it’s funny. It’s similar to the concept when scandals are called (blank)-gate. Watergate was an actual place, it wasn’t called “water”.

#21 5 years ago

I vote to rechristen the matchup “The Thrilla in Illa (nois)”

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

I don't get all the hubbub about the name. It's fine. Not like they're naming a child, it's a one-off pinball stream. Most of those don't even have names.
Looking forward to it!

If we don’t complain about EVERYTHING, how can we expect Stern to take us seriously when we complain about anything?

#23 5 years ago

Why are a bunch of posts in this thread about my terrible grammar joke? You people are crazy.

/The Burn at Stern

#24 5 years ago

I think the name is doing the job it was supposed to do. It was announced weeks ago, postponed, and we're still talking about the match and the name! I'm no expert, but that sounds like good marketing to me!

#25 5 years ago

Tried to go to Stern website and getting errors. Is it overloaded or something else?

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from sethi_i:

Tried to go to Stern website and getting errors. Is it overloaded or something else?

It's at 3:00 pm CDT on twitch.tv/dead_flip

#27 5 years ago

TONIGHT!!! Live Charity Battle! Zach “The Razor” Sharpe versus Keith “The Master of Disaster” Elwin. The Top Two Pinball Players in the World square off to determine who is the best on Stern's Deadpool Premium Pinball Machine!

So don’t miss tonight’s Thrilla in Sternilla on https://www.twitch.tv/dead_flip with hostmasters- Jack Danger & Jeff Teolis bringing all the action to you live! At 3pm in Chicago!

PLUS, Donate ONLY $5 to Win! Great prizes!

YOU have a chance to WIN one of these Marvelous Prizes:
• An Amazing Stern’s Deadpool Translite signed by one and only- George Gomez
• A Stellar Pin Stadium Lighting Kit
• A Very Unique Donkey Kong Shadowbox
• A Fantastic Path of Play T-shirt
• A Super Cool Project Pinball Charity T-Shirt
• A Remarkable Project Pinball Charity Ballcap
• And an Awesome PAPA T-Shirt

ENTER HERE: https://projectpinball.rallyup.com/thethrillainsternilla-livecharitybattle

All proceeds go to benefit both charities: Path of Play & Project Pinball Charity

Winners of these Cool and Awesome Prizes will be announced tonight during the live broadcast so be sure to tune in and help these two wonderful charities!

Thanks to Stern Pinball, Zach Sharpe, Keith Elwin, Jack Danger of Deadflip and Jeff Teolis of Pinball Profile! And especially Glitch, T-Bone Forest, Pin Stadium, Scott Darren, and Douglas Polka from PAPA.

Special thanks to Mike Primeau from Path of Play Charity. It was pleasure working with you!

Thank, thank you to all the fantastic people that made help make this a success!

Enjoy the stream!
Tale of theTape copy (resized).jpgTale of theTape copy (resized).jpg

#28 5 years ago

Cool event! I even like the title. It’s almost like it’s a subtle hint at who might be designing sterns Godzilla

I’m at work but hopefully there’s a VOD to watch tonight.

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from Project_Pinball:

TONIGHT!!! Live Charity Battle! Zach “The Razor” Sharpe versus Keith “The Master of Disaster” Elwin. The Top Two Pinball Players in the World square off to determine who is the best on Stern's Deadpool Premium Pinball Machine!
So don’t miss tonight’s Thrilla in Sternilla on https://www.twitch.tv/dead_flip with hostmasters- Jack Danger & Jeff Teolis bringing all the action to you live! At 3pm in Chicago!
PLUS, Donate ONLY $5 to Win! Great prizes!
YOU have a chance to WIN one of these Marvelous Prizes:
• An Amazing Stern’s Deadpool Translite signed by one and only- George Gomez
• A Stellar Pin Stadium Lighting Kit
• A Fantastic Path of Play T-shirt
• A Super Cool Project Pinball Charity T-Shirt
• A Remarkable Project Pinball Charity Ballcap
• And an Awesome PAPA T-Shirt
ENTER HERE: https://projectpinball.rallyup.com/thethrillainsternilla-livecharitybattle
All proceeds go to benefit both charities: Path of Play & Project Pinball Charity
Winners of these Cool and Awesome Prizes will be announced tonight during the live broadcast so be sure to tune in and help these two wonderful charities!
Thanks to Stern Pinball, Zach Sharpe, Keith Elwin, Jack Danger and Jeff Teolis! And especially Glitch, T-Bone Forest, Pin Stadium, Scott Darren, and Douglas Polka from PAPA.
Special thanks to Mike Primeau from Path of Play Charity. It was pleasure working with you!
Thank, thank you to all the fantastic people that made help make this a success!
Enjoy the stream!
[quoted image]

What a great event!! Thanks to all involved!!

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from Project_Pinball:

TONIGHT!!! Live Charity Battle! Zach “The Razor” Sharpe versus Keith “The Master of Disaster” Elwin. The Top Two Pinball Players in the World

Have to agree, no one else comes close to them.

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from GravitaR:

Have to agree, no one else comes close to them.

uhh, maybe Raymond has something to say bout that

1st Raymond Davidson Mukilteo, WA, United States 1102.09 1891.42 58.86% IFPA World Pinball Championship - 1st
2nd Keith Elwin Carlsbad, CA, United States 996.96 1878.24 66.01% Pinburgh Match-Play Championship - 1st
3rd Cayle George Seattle, WA, United States 919.79 1717.2 49.45% PAPA World Pinball Championships - 3rd
4th Daniele Celestino Acciari Rocca di Papa, Italy 917.94 1773.02 54.94% IFPA World Pinball Championship - 1st
5th Eric Stone Fort Myers, FL, United States 902.37 2022.75 51.7% Pinburgh Match-Play Championship - 5th
6th Trent Augenstein Delaware, OH, United States 901.36 1735.1 47.37% PAPA World Pinball Championships - 4th
7th Zach Sharpe Chicago, IL, United States 883.75 1903.75 54.07% PAPA World Pinball Championships - 2nd

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

uhh, maybe Raymond has something to say bout that
1st Raymond Davidson Mukilteo, WA, United States 1102.09 1891.42 58.86% IFPA World Pinball Championship - 1st
2nd Keith Elwin Carlsbad, CA, United States 996.96 1878.24 66.01% Pinburgh Match-Play Championship - 1st
3rd Cayle George Seattle, WA, United States 919.79 1717.2 49.45% PAPA World Pinball Championships - 3rd
4th Daniele Celestino Acciari Rocca di Papa, Italy 917.94 1773.02 54.94% IFPA World Pinball Championship - 1st
5th Eric Stone Fort Myers, FL, United States 902.37 2022.75 51.7% Pinburgh Match-Play Championship - 5th
6th Trent Augenstein Delaware, OH, United States 901.36 1735.1 47.37% PAPA World Pinball Championships - 4th
7th Zach Sharpe Chicago, IL, United States 883.75 1903.75 54.07% PAPA World Pinball Championships - 2nd

first thing I thought...

#33 5 years ago

Plus you can vote and weigh in on your favorite model of Deadpool pinball here -

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/deadpool-v-deadpool-poll

#35 5 years ago

The Thrilla in Sternilla in progress! Live Charity Battle total at $1,180! To Enter to win Prizes! Enter Here: https://projectpinball.rallyup.com/thethrillainsternilla-livecharitybattle

Watch the Live Action here: https://www.twitch.tv/dead_flip

#36 5 years ago

Was an excellent event. I really liked the HORSE format. Lots of fun. Great to see both charities benefit!

#37 5 years ago

well done to all those involved

#38 5 years ago

We hope you enjoyed this Live Stream Tonight!

The Stern Pinball's The Thrilla in Sternilla- Live Charity Battle was huge success! Especially for the families that the Path of Play and Project Pinball Charities are dedicated to helping! With your help we were able to raise $2450! AMAZING!

Congratulations to all of Winners! A huge Thank You from Project Pinball Charity and Path of Play!
Your wonderful giving has again touched us deeply here at the Path of Play and Project Pinball Charities!

• Stern’s Deadpool Translite signed by one and only- George Gomez
Winner: Joe Banner

• Pin Stadium Lighting Kit
Winner: Nathaniel Klyce

• Donkey Kong Shadowbox from Glitch
Winner: Laura Fraley

• Path of Play T-shirt
Winner: Jamie Gibson

• Project Pinball Charity T-Shirt
Winner: Ian Fox

• Project Pinball Charity Ballcap
Winner: Neil McRae

• PAPA T-Shirt
Winner: Matt Quintanilla

Extra Winners Select for Project Pinball Charity T-shirts
Winners: Martin Fields, Mike Cuzzupe & Mitchell Kohler

We will be contacting the winners tomorrow to arrange shipping.

All proceeds go to benefit both charities: Path of Play & Project Pinball Charity!

Special thanks to Stern Pinball, Zach Sharpe and Keith Elwin, Tim Sexton and the whole crew! Jack Danger and team of Dead Flip!

And big and warm thank you to Glitch, T-Bone Forest, Pin Stadium, Scott Darren, and Douglas Polka from PAPA.

Thank, thank you to all of donors and the fantastic people that made help made this a such huge success!

Dead Flip copy (resized).jpgDead Flip copy (resized).jpg
#39 5 years ago

That really was an epic showdown. It was an awesome way to promote the game and its rules too. Good job Keith, Zach, Tim, mike, Tania, and Jack! Fantastic idea.

#40 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

That really was an epic showdown. It was an awesome way to promote the game and its rules too. Good job Keith, Zach, Tim, mike, Tania, and Jack! Fantastic idea.

...and both machines shot very well. I didn't see anything I would call clunky. Left orbit shot so cleanly that the ball came around fast enough to miss the katana inlane. Right ramp hit consistently, missing on some shots but nothing that seemed unusual. Granted it's KE and ZS, but even the SNIKT shot was hit purposefully.

I think if this game is set up properly it could be a lot of fun. That definitely pushed me a little to the "buy" side of the fence.

#41 5 years ago

This was a really cool event! I couldn't watch it live, but the VOD was enjoyable.

1 week later
#42 5 years ago

Who would have guessed this in 1981!

Roger Sharpe reviewing Catacomb.

IMG_4231 (resized).jpgIMG_4231 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 132.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
St. Charles, IL
$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 27.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 80.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 34.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 75.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 9,695.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/thrilla-in-sternilla-?hl=jason_jehosaphat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.