(Topic ID: 321342)

Thrift Store Magnotron - It works (mostly)

By vestaviascott

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by HowardR
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

Hey guys, a few days ago I came across a Gottlied Magnotron at a local thrift store I frequent. I took it home for $400. My first mechanical pin (I've built and sold a virtual pin and currently in the process of building another).

Anyway, the machine mostly works. It only has a few quirks that I need to figure out.

First, occasionally after finishing a single player game, it starts the next game in 4 player mode.

Second, and this just started happening today, after completing a single player game and draining the 5th ball, it kicks the ball to the shooter lane like a have a 6th ball but there is no ball in play lit, no game over lit, but everything else appears like game over. Additionally, the scoring reels do not register any points while the ball is in play at this point. When it drains, it just immediately kicks the ball back to the shooter lane.

Its pretty much exactly like this > https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/no-game-over-after-last-ball

In that thread, the OP said he fixed it by cleaning the dots - "It was as simple (as most often) as just clean the dot's at the player unit rotating disc.
Now it works 100%"

I suppose I should try that first. Can someone tell me what I should use to "clean the dots"?

#magnotron

#3 1 year ago

I'd start by cleaning and lubing the coin unit (it advances from 1 player to 4 players as you press the credit button for more players). Especially the little spring-loaded fingers on the wiper, they can get sticky. It is probably in the lower cabinet.
Agree on the player unit bakelite disc 'buttons' or contacts, if they get dirty they can foul up the ball to ball & player to player advancing. You can clean the contacts with a fine abrasive pad and then wipe clean with a cloth, same with ones on the coin unit.

I had both of those problems pop up separately on my Fast Draw, I was lazy with my maintenance.

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from vestaviascott:

First, occasionally after finishing a single player game, it starts the next game in 4 player mode.

Magnotron doesn't have a coin unit. Instead it has PB2, PB3, and PB4 (2nd, 3rd, and 4th Player relays) on the Control bank. What are they doing when this happens? You can take video of them with your phone.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Bay Shore, NY
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/thrift-store-magnotron-it-works-mostly and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.