(Topic ID: 58099)

BoP coin door buttons does not work (re titled topic)

By TheRingMaster

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ic.jpg
Coin_door.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider JohnSteed.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#41 10 years ago

Hey RingMaster!

I had a similar problem with my BOP, one of the many pins in my home collection. One day I turned on the BOP power switch and heard a big buzz noise. The system had returned to "factory settings". I changed the batteries on the CPU board in the back box. I then opened up the coin door to try and reset my game utilities settings. The Enter/Test key would not work. I took the CPU board out of the game, looked it over good, but I could not find any problems visually. No burnt marks, not broken traces, not missing components. I did find some green crud on the upper legs of some of the chips directly below the battery holder, but nothing major and I simply cleaned them up.

I put the board back into the back box and reconnected the plugs and ribbon cables. The same problem occured. I removed the plug on the bottom left side that traced to the enter key and tried shorting pin #9 against ground (this pin traces to the enter/test key). Nothing. (I also shorted another pin that traced to volume up just to make sure I was shorting to a good ground and this worked).

After reading your comments above, I pulled the CPU board out again, heated up my fine soldering pencil and touched each soldered in pin from U13 on the underside of the CPU board - just enough to remelt the solder. I did the same for the chips that had crud on them that were located under the battery holder. I put the board back in the back box and viola! The BOP enter/test switch was back in action! It has been working for several weeks now with no problems.

I had successfully tried this trick several times before. Sometimes the chips are not well soldered to the pads at the factory and just need a little touch up. I do still have the problem with the loud buzz at start up. I'm sure I need to replace all of the big caps on the power board - they're bloated!

Thanks for your information! It was helpful in isolating which chip to look at - without having to use a logic probe - and it confirmed my suspicions that the problem was related to a chip on that board.

BTW - after getting the enter key fixed and shopping the playfield I played the game and got the Grand Champion High Score!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.99
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
DevilsMuse Arcade

£ 69.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 27.95
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

3,850 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Firestone, CO
3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Memphis, TN
$ 9.95
$ 9.95
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

£ 58.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider JohnSteed.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/three-slot-coin-door-is-dead?tu=JohnSteed and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.