(Topic ID: 257304)

Threads for homebrew P3 games?

By bingopodcast

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

I'm in the process of developing, among other things, some homebrew P3 games.

I generally make a blog-style documentation thread of my various homebrews for people to follow along.

I'm curious if I should throw it in the Homebrew section or in the Multimorphic section, as it's something that works on the P3 hardware? The initial couple of games I'm making are getting my feet wet with the SDK and won't be offered for sale through Multimorphic, they're just things I'm developing for myself for the love of the game and the potential of making future games on the platform.

Thoughts appreciated!

#2 4 years ago

We're super excited to see what you're working on!

Quoted from bingopodcast:

I'm curious if I should throw it in the Homebrew section or in the Multimorphic section, as it's something that works on the P3 hardware?

Probably add Multimorphic and/or P3 to the title and put it in the Homebrew section? Since the P3 is an existing / working / complete pinball machine, it could be used by anybody for a quicker path to a custom game. You don't even need the machine to work on custom applications / game software, as you can simulate gameplay inside of the development environment. So if you're going to document your build, which is awesome in its own right - thank you, it's probably most relevant in the homebrew section. Perhaps we could start a thread in the Multimorphic section linking to public custom P3 game build threads. We know of a handful of private projects currently in dev, but yours would be the first publicly documented one(s).

If and when you're ready to share your games with others through the P3 marketplace, then it might be good to start game-specific threads in the Multimorphic section?

Whichever location you choose, we'll be there to support you with answers, sample code, suggestions, or whatever else you need.

- Gerry
    https://www.multimorphic.com

#3 4 years ago

Very much interested to follow, as I have a killer theme in mind, that I would like to give a go! (but, don't we all...)

As I understand, the various mechanical parts can be slided in the physical machine, does that mean I can select which ones I need in the designer, so the API calls/hooks become available?

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from gstellenberg:

We're super excited to see what you're working on!

Well, don't be too hasty... haha!

Probably add Multimorphic and/or P3 to the title and put it in the Homebrew section?

Consider it done!

Since the P3 is an existing / working / complete pinball machine, it could be used by anybody for a quicker path to a custom game. You don't even need the machine to work on custom applications / game software, as you can simulate gameplay inside of the development environment.

Yes, it's like kickstarting a lot of the tedious parts of making a custom game. Really enjoying it, and hope others will join in the fun.

Quoted from mgpasman:

As I understand, the various mechanical parts can be slided in the physical machine, does that mean I can select which ones I need in the designer, so the API calls/hooks become available?

Yes, it's like a rackmount system, there are slots to slide in other hardware on the sides. The back 1/3 of the playfield just pops out and can be replaced with your own. Contact Multimorphic to get specs for the playfields.

Regarding calls and hooks - the SDK is really pretty amazing. If you've worked with pyprocgame or skeletongame, you'll feel quite at home. Since the P3 is extremely expandable, you just make calls to the appropriately named switch or coil and the machine does what you tell it to do (add score/pulse coil/whatever). Really a very nice system.

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from bingopodcast:

Yes, it's like a rackmount system, there are slots to slide in other hardware on the sides. The back 1/3 of the playfield just pops out and can be replaced with your own. Contact Multimorphic to get specs for the playfields.

Do I have to make my own, or can I also rely on existing "racks"?

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from mgpasman:

Do I have to make my own, or can I also rely on existing "racks"?

You can absolutely use the existing. I am doing that for my first games, to get my feet wet. It simplifies the process even more.

#7 4 years ago

Very excited to try it. It has been over a decade since I last coded something, but if there are examples, I'll make it work

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from mgpasman:

but if there are examples, I'll make it work

More than examples, there's a whole SDK with a simple sample game. Contact them to get started. Can't wait to see what you make!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/threads-for-homebrew-p3-games and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.