(Topic ID: 227015)

THOUSANDS of NIB pinball machines being produced......

By iceman44

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 116 posts
  • 54 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by frolic
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

noone (resized).jpg
    henrylaugh (resized).jpg
    DSCN6014 (resized).JPG
    There are 116 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

When people's 401ks are worth 1/4 of what they were, and others at their job places are starting to get their pink slips, and their house is only 1/3 paid off with a second mortgage to boot, then comes the time to put off buying that new Beverly Hillbillies SuperLE pinball machine.

Jethro, Jed and Granny are down for an LE Odiner!!!

401k turns into a 101k this time

"Don't risk what you have and what you need, for what you don't have and don't need"...........Warren Buffet

#102 5 years ago

2017 $6 billion — Dollars spent on sales of golf equipment, apparel and supplies.

I don't golf, I don't go to sporting events, I don't own a boat, I don't own an exotic car.

All these above 'hobbies' people spend Billions per year on and it keeps going. There may be ups and downs but they are 100x more spent on each of they above than on Pinball.

I believe there is enough current owners and new people to the hobby to keep the lights on at Stern, CGC and JJP (Spooky too as they seem to be pay as they go).

Now I don't think there is room enough for a half dozen or more pinball companies (unless they are boutique like Spooky).

#103 5 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

I believe there is enough current owners and new people to the hobby to keep the lights on at Stern and JJP (Spooky too as they seem to be pay as they go).

Don't you think the "current owners" are getting a bit tired of paying higher and higher prices?

When you have to sell off prior Nib's to fund the new shiny purchase at a huge discount that might get a bit old.

Stern was able to keep the lights on barely through the last 08 major recession.

Pinball costs a shitload of $$$ to make and the cost of materials and labor are going up.

Pinball is NOT immune to boom and bust. I love it. And I'm pulling for all of them. Concerned about the quantity and cost.

The people with can't even acknowledge it are clueless.

Btw, golf and sporting events are terrible analogies, there is a HUGE reason people spend what they do on those hobbies and it will never even come close to storing pinball machines in a house $$$ wise.

When you try and justify what you buy, you've already lost.

#104 5 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Btw, golf and sporting events are terrible analogies, there is a HUGE reason people spend what they do on those hobbies and it will never even come close to storing pinball machines in a house $$$ wise.

I am saying some people would spend $4K on going to a sporting event like the SB or on golf clubs and such while I could care less about them. Much like people think *I'm* crazy to have spent $70K (whatever) on my pinballs yet they will have spent more on several years of season tickets to football/basketabll etc.

Meh I am just saying people spend money in different ways. For golf but people pay a heck of a lot to swing a crocked stick at a little ball. Any discretionary depends on the economy and new people coming into the hobby and I equate Golf to a hobby as I do pinball.

#105 5 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

I am saying some people would spend $4K on going to a sporting event like the SB or on golf clubs and such while I could care less about them. Much like people think *I'm* crazy to have spent $70K (whatever) on my pinballs yet they will have spent more on several years of season tickets to football/basketabll etc.
    Meh I am just saying people spend money in different ways. For golf but people pay a heck of a lot to swing a crocked stick at a little ball. Any discretionary depends on the economy and new people coming into the hobby and I equate Golf to a hobby as I do pinball.

Yeah Rai, we are "crazy", you got that right.

Hook that Uhaul up to the hearse

Sporting events, golf and whatever floats your boat is all that matters. And i don't know anybody that needs 15 different boats.

How many new pins are you buying this year? How many are you selling? Are you willing to spend another $100k on pinball machines?

They are counting on it. YOU are the target.

#106 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

time to put off buying that new Beverly Hillbillies SuperLE pinball machine.

#107 5 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

How many new pins are you buying this year? How many are you selling? Are you willing to spend another $100k on pinball machines?
    They are counting on it. YOU are the target.

I expect to buy one TNA (paid for pending delivery now). I don't plan on buying anything for a good while. I just met a Pinsider in my neighborhood that has 3 pins when prior to that he had zero. He has Maiden, GB and TWD. This is someone who I had no contact with, I don't know how/why he got involved with Pinball but he's just getting started and I know others in various stages who have just got involved in the last 5 years and probably more will in the years to come.

I am not the target but people like me who don't have a dozen Pins already are the target.

#108 5 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

"Don't risk what you have and what you need, for what you don't have and don't need"...........Warren Buffet

That dude lost billions over the last few days, but I guess if anyone can afford it, he can.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/warren-buffett-sheds-billions-net-233957613.html

#109 5 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

I expect to buy one TNA (paid for pending delivery now). I don't plan on buying anything for a good while. I just met a Pinsider in my neighborhood that has 3 pins when prior to that he had zero. He has Maiden, GB and TWD. This is someone who I had no contact with, I don't know how/why he got involved with Pinball but he's just getting started and I know others in various stages who have just got involved in the last 5 years and probably more will in the years to come.
    I am not the target but people like me who don't have a dozen Pins already are the target.

That pool is shrinking. Even though we are crazy i believe generally speaking most people aren't and won't buy a dozen pinball machines like its buying a box of Krispy Kreme doughnuts.

So its next up. Your neighbor has to buy another half dozen at least.

#110 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

That dude lost billions over the last few days, but I guess if anyone can afford it, he can.
    https://finance.yahoo.com/news/warren-buffett-sheds-billions-net-233957613.html

LOL, that dude has made 19% annually over the last 40 yrs.

That's the whole point Odiner, 2 days or 40 yrs? I'd trust him to invest my $$$. And do.

Lock it in Odiner! It's called LONG TERM value investing. Requires a bit of patience, not just 2 days.

Buy, buy, buy....nobody better when there is blood in the streets!

#111 5 years ago

Buffiett is 88 years old I doubt he cares about he lost a few billions plus he lived through many market crashes including the Great Recession 2008-9.

what people don't realize is that it's healthy and normal for stock market to go down from time to time.

One day in 1987 the DOW lost 22% that would be like 5,700 point loss (from the current high level) this one day loss was on top of other days that might added up to 30% loss in one week. Had you bought before the crash of 87 you would have been back to even in two years. That's 25-30% crash not 5-6% pullback.

#112 5 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

It's called LONG TERM value investing. Requires a bit of patience, not just 2 days.

Then pinball is a much better short term value investment! Buy an LE, sell before you get it for 25% profit. Buy a TBL for $8k, sell it for $30k a year later!

Yeah I'm putting all my eggs in pinball, and leaving Buffett to croon about margaritas and cheeseburgers in paradise.

#113 5 years ago

Now a Jimmy Buffet machine would be a great investment!

#114 5 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

Government stalemate has usually turned out to be a good thing. Power split with no one having significant control means politicians don't have the power to screw things up. Might actually be good news: status quo is maintained, and we're on a pretty good track right now. Hope the fed isn't too aggressive in the next year though.

Last time I checked, 21 Trillion in debt is screwung things up.

#115 5 years ago

Well, as long old games are as good or even better then 4-5k new games, they will keep selling for that amount.

Only!
    If Stern would release a couple of uberkillergames, for 3-3.5k, the market would implode, why pay 5k for old gg games, while you can have almost 2 super-uber pins for that same amount.

+ in belgium we have the "newtimer" car hype; iconic 80's -early 90's, sell for a ridiculously amount these days. High cc/special editions VW golf 1/2, Ford corsworths, etc etc have exploded in value the last 3 years. So. I can imagine pins would hold there value atm.

#116 5 years ago

Our cohort, the people making up us dudes who were all born in a certain period of time (I guess mostly Gen X), and are now buying homes and filling them with pinball machines will be going on for some time before its exhausted.

Someone brought up boats earlier. I pass marinas all the time, filled with boats sitting there just sucking up money. And pinball is nowhere near boat money.

There are 116 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/thousands-of-nib-pinball-machines-being-produced/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.