(Topic ID: 227015)

THOUSANDS of NIB pinball machines being produced......

By iceman44

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 116 posts
  • 54 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by frolic
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

noone (resized).jpg
    henrylaugh (resized).jpg
    DSCN6014 (resized).JPG
    There are 116 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 5 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

I think they're selling way more than that mainly because of the new location. They could build 32 games a day at the old location, that's 8000 a year. There's no reason to move to a location where they can do 75 unless they're selling more than that. Yeah, I couldn't believe they were selling that many either but they must be, otherwise the move wouldn't make any sense. I'm sure someone could do some serial number research and figure out some rough numbers.

Is Stern still assembling machines for Chicago Gaming?

#52 5 years ago

I agree with Hilton, 8000-12,000 a year depending on demand. Not even a drop in the bucket compared to the Bally/Williams glory days.

#53 5 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

Is Stern still assembling machines for Chicago Gaming?

No. They did the first run of MMr only.

#54 5 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

There are a lot of people in pinball who will run out of space before they run out of money.

Spot on. Money is nowhere near the issue. Anyone who can afford ten machines can afford 20.

#55 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Fun topic, but before we even get going, I gotta know where you pulled these numbers from?
    You are no longer drunk Ice, you are high as a kite
    Please post up where you get 10,000 in 2017 and 12,000 in 2018 for Stern production.
    By all estimates cutting those numbers in half would be generous.
    2018 blockbuster game was Iron Maiden and it likely sold 1200 to at the very most 2000 (that is very generous)
    Deadpool appears to be selling very poorly and may only hit 500-800
    Supreme was 200
    GOTG split in 2017/18 year and is likely 800-1000
    SW was another big seller and likely came in around 1200-1500 units
    Aero rounds out 2017 with 800-1000
    By all accounts a normal selling title is 800-1000 units
    A blockbuster is 1500-2000 units.
    Stern likely did at max 5,000 games in 2017 and may do 6,000 games in 2018
    That is 36-40,000,000 gross which is still a crap ton of money, but about half your original estimate.

There's this giant ass oracle used by pinside. A big fleshy one. Anyone can summon its power.

It's gotta be big to hold all the made up numbers Pinsiders grab when trying to make a drunken argument.

BOM? Production numbers? Pinball company employees' salaries? Pinball profits?

Just reach on into that big ass and pull the numbers out. Any old number will do.

Boom! Argument substantiated.

By ass.

Crack open another cold one, and repeat.

#56 5 years ago

What's strange for me is despite all the new games being sold, I haven't bought a single game this year, new or used. That's unusual. The last new game I bought was Ghostbusters Pro. Before that was a Medieval Madness Remake, and that isn't really even a "new" game.

When I have bought games I've been buying older B/W titles and older Sterns and running them. There's still strong demand among players and the general public for older titles. Keep in mind that to a lot (if not most) of the general public, any pinball machine is "new", even if it is a 25 year old B/W title.

I also have some friends that are willing to buy new games and run them at my locations, so that has saved me from buying new. But in each of these cases I would not have bought a new game anyway.

I've bought a few used Sterns over the last couple years at reasonable prices, but they haven't appreciated in value as in the past, probably due to all the new games being released. A couple of them have dropped in value and a couple have held steady. I'm not complaining, just an observation.

I'm not saying I'll never buy NIB, but I certainly haven't been doing it lately.

#57 5 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Will prices eventually crash, go back up and repeat? Yes, as with any hobby, but for now let the good times roll.

Thats BS antique prices crashed late 90s stores closed shows closed no bounce back

#58 5 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

Thats BS antique prices crashed late 90s stores closed shows closed no bounce back

"You see, pinball is kinda like cars...."

#59 5 years ago

Honestly, who cares if Stern goes out of business? There will always be at least a boutique-level demand for new games that will be serviced by the Spookys of the world.

As hobbyists, we need to worry about parts availability, not NIB games.

#60 5 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

very good point and oddly the largest manufacturer also has the least parts availability.

#61 5 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Honestly, who cares if Stern goes out of business? There will always be at least a boutique-level demand for new games that will be serviced by the Spookys of the world.

I've been saying that for years - the health of the pinball hobby isn't dependent on the industry or new games being produced. Only newbies who think the hobby means buying brand new 9K machines think that.

That being said, if anybody is going out of business, it ain't Stern. There's like 8 other companies that will be going tits up first.

Or is it 9? I haven't checked the news ticker yet today.

#62 5 years ago

I love reading these threads...it's like entering a time machine and appearing on RGP in 2004...

#63 5 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I think that the market will begin to look like the used boat market. Rich guy buys a new boat for 10k, some years later he wants a new boat, so he buys a new 10k boat. The used boat drops in value like a rock and sells for pennies on the dollar compared to a new one.
    In order for the nib sales to keep going as hotly as they are, the secondary market needs to drop. The barrier for entry needs to drop to get more middle class guys into the game. Rich guys will buy up all the new games but poor guys won’t continue to pay near new prices for used products. These old B, C, and D list games are going to drop in price because the newer machines hitting the used market will look more attractive comparatively.
    My first game was F14 for $800 now their selling locally for over 2k. This won’t last, the price will come back down.
    Also, with barcades being so new and young, I wonder how many barscades are taking on huge debt to try and bring in a crowd. I hope it works out, but I bet some will fail.

Pinball numbers are up due to cultural changes, before the last couple of years, when was the last time you guys remember seeing pinball in bars? Personally, I've only seen jukeboxes, but now there are bars all over the place with pins. While I do think we have the kind of people in the hobby that buy games and put up for sale in a month, I don't think it's all that prevalent. I will worry when the economy starts to crack. Right now, with full employment figures, most people are doing ok, so I doubt you will see anything resembling a price crash soon. To Iceman's point, when the market starts to slow down Stern will be sitting on a nice pile of cash to wither the storm. I'd be concerned about the start ups, they will certainly feel a cash crunch.

PS: we have enough pins now to last through our lifetime. So what ever happens, happens.

#64 5 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

before the last couple of years, when was the last time you guys remember seeing pinball in bars?

Does Chucky Cheese count? The one near me serves beer.

#65 5 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Honestly, who cares if Stern goes out of business?

Curb your hyperbole. Lots of people will care.

#66 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Does Chucky Cheese count? The one near me serves beer.

Lucky! I have one near me also, I asked why they didn't have any pinball machines and the manager told me that there wasn't enough interest.

PS: are you retired yet?

#67 5 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

No the road goes on forever and the party never ends right?

They are not going to get this Robert Earl reference Iceman.

Thought your post was a very interesting/insightful one and I agree with it. I honestly don’t buy any NIB pin without factoring in 25% possible depreciation in my decision to purchase

#68 5 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

PS: are you retired yet?

Two more days... maybe.

#69 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Two more days... maybe.

Now that's winning! For those of you guys thinking about retiring early....look up IRS rule 72t, you can thank me later.....

#70 5 years ago
    Quoted from Skeets:

I love reading these threads...it's like entering a time machine and appearing on RGP in 2004...

Anybody who pays $3500 for a Medieval Madness should have their head checked!

#71 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

"You see, pinball is kinda like cars...."

I don't know about the price of cars but thinking if prices crash they will bounce back is for fools

#72 5 years ago
    Quoted from TimeBandit:

Anyone who can afford ten machines can afford 20.

What?
    That makes no sense...

#73 5 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

henrylaugh (resized).jpghenrylaugh (resized).jpg
    #74 5 years ago

Historically pinball does well in bad economic times.

#75 5 years ago

Every one seems to be talking price no one talking space the strong NIB market needs a strong HUO market behind it. The market correction may not hit for some time but when it does both the NIB and HUO will be hit hard

#76 5 years ago

With 1000s of pinball machines being produced, how come I still can't get one of those

"Experts of Dangerous" pinball machines? Surely someone else could have picked up that license by now.

#77 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

With 1000s of pinball machines being produced, how come I still can't get one of those
    "Experts of Dangerous" pinball machines? Surely someone else could have picked up that license by now.

Noone knows why O-din.

noone (resized).jpgnoone (resized).jpg
    #78 5 years ago
    Quoted from mountaingamer:

I just turned down a $9.1K offer for my Woz from a guy looking at another pin I have for sale - quality games will hold their value just fine. The problem with DP, tna and Houdini is they aren’t great games at all - mediocre at best.

You should've sold your Woz for $9.1 and repurchased another at normal used prices. You missed an opportunity.

Those other games cost a couple thou less NIB than Woz. Quality isn't the factor for holding value.

When multiple owners decide to sell and there are no longer interested buyers, then you'll see how well prices hold. There are a lot of Woz's.

JJP games are priced too high and smart money buys used JJP games.

#79 5 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Honestly, who cares if Stern goes out of business?

Probably the dumbest thing I've ever read on Pinside.

#80 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinlink:

Probably the dumbest thing I've ever read on Pinside.

umm..Stick around.

#81 5 years ago

How many total post are there like this on Pinside? Same subject.

Still no one knows total of actual games produced at Stern.

Personally I've lost most of the interest I have in NIB Sterns. I'm all set with a few project pins.
    Can't wait for some new title to come out and people are in a hustle to sell of old games.

#82 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Fun topic, but before we even get going, I gotta know where you pulled these numbers from?
    You are no longer drunk Ice, you are high as a kite
    Please post up where you get 10,000 in 2017 and 12,000 in 2018 for Stern production.
    By all estimates cutting those numbers in half would be generous.
    2018 blockbuster game was Iron Maiden and it likely sold 1200 to at the very most 2000 (that is very generous)
    Deadpool appears to be selling very poorly and may only hit 500-800
    Supreme was 200
    GOTG split in 2017/18 year and is likely 800-1000
    SW was another big seller and likely came in around 1200-1500 units
    Aero rounds out 2017 with 800-1000
    By all accounts a normal selling title is 800-1000 units
    A blockbuster is 1500-2000 units.
    Stern likely did at max 5,000 games in 2017 and may do 6,000 games in 2018
    That is 36-40,000,000 gross which is still a crap ton of money, but about half your original estimate.

Actually i got the 10k from a big distributor.

Not hard to figure out when you look at starting and ending Serial Numbers for the year. The above is just pure speculation

The rest of you guys like Levi just make shit up

Just saying

#83 5 years ago
    Quoted from Cserold:

They are not going to get this Robert Earl reference Iceman.
    Thought your post was a very interesting/insightful one and I agree with it. I honestly don’t buy any NIB pin without factoring in 25% possible depreciation in my decision to purchase

No doubt Cserold, gotta love Robert Earl!

Got a new Lubbock band. Flatland Calvary, check em out.

Flippers in Lubbock is a great spot btw

#84 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It's gotta be big to hold all the made up numbers Pinsiders grab when trying to make a drunken argument.

What is your excuse Levi? Stupidity? Same Stern pumping BS over and over.

Head buried DEEP somewhere

This is a topic that's pertinent to people who buy Nibs, get it?

And I'll let you know when i'm on a drunken rant

#85 5 years ago

The market's not as bad as was thought.

Dow has only lost approx 600 pts today as opposed to yesterday's 800 pt. drop.

#86 5 years ago

Here’s one way to look at it. All those barcades and arcades that are making their money back in plays won’t be too worried about a collapse in the market. They can simply sell for what ever they can get out of them. Just like all the operators of old.
    On the opposite side you have all the home buyers that are gambling on their games holding value. These would be the ones that will get hit the worst.
    I’m one of the lucky ones that got in long before the price hike so could care less. Prices go up or down I’ll still own my games.

#87 5 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

There are a lot of people in pinball who will run out of space before they run out of money.

Most people I talk to are overflowing.

Although, occasionally I see a thread about "what game should I fill this empty space with?"

I kind of think the lack of space that collectors have may drive prices down somewhat as they get more selective about what they want to make room for.

#88 5 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Get ready. It's inevitable. Just a matter of "when". And i don't see what's wrong with those prices? It's to be expected for a pro. Even bigger loss for premium and LE
    These are just games. What do the old Bally classics go for?

Have pinball prices ever actually gone DOWN?

#89 5 years ago

I think we're getting back to a more balanced reality where NIB purchasing is like purchasing off the lot of a car dealership, and no longer will HUO games of recent titles sell for just 5% off their price.
    I initially clicked this post thinking it would be a total celebration, because WOW it's amazing to see numbers like that. Here is to hoping this also means the international market is also expanding and enthusiastically taking on the NIBs.

#90 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Really good day to buy

#91 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Have pinball prices ever actually gone DOWN?

Sure.

Instead of getting thrown in a dumpster many ops seized the opportunity to sell them for pennies on the dollar of what they originally paid after the game had made many times the original purchase price back on location.

#92 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Sure.
    Instead of getting thrown in a dumpster many ops seized the opportunity to sell them for pennies on the dollar of what they originally paid after the game had made many times the original purchase price back on location.

I thought we were talking about NIB here, or at least the general market trend

#93 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

How many pinball machines is that?

Bounce back tomorrow on JP Morgan earnings and outlook in am.

#94 5 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

How are those pork belly futures looking?

#95 5 years ago

I don't think the new retail price of anything ever goes down- the latest Cars, TV's, appliances? What does happen is new stuff gets marked down, discounted, closed out, put "on sale", etc.

I can't think of the last time I've ever seen this from a pinball manufacturer. Maybe a "fake" sale, like $200 off.

(Yikes, 545!)

#96 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

How are those pork belly futures looking?

I'm waiting for the secret report from Beeks. Hang tight Mortimor!

#97 5 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

It's a drop in the bucket as far as big money goes.
    lets say Stern does $100 million in sales. Harley Davidson sells $5B a year in motorcycles that's 50x as much as Stern.
    I say Motorcycles because most who own a MC also one a car, so the MC is a luxury item or a toy.
    Same with boats or small watercraft. Boating market is something like $37 Billion. Something like 40-60K small watercraft in the US each year.
    this report says 250K new recreational boats were sold last year in the US are you kidding me?
    https://www.tradeonlytoday.com/by-the-numbers/boat-sales-topped-250000-in-2016

327 million people in the U.S.
    I could see that being a reality. It's 0.07% or less of the U.S. population. I bet pinball sales are around 0.001% of the population.

#98 5 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

How many pinball machines is that?

1200pts ? I don’t think so

#99 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

1200pts ? I don’t think so

What do you mean? This whole thing is a yawner. Buybacks kick in after earnings and "quiet period". JP Morgan sets it straight tomorrow.

And you just got to buy Apple, Visa and Berkshire on sale again!

I'm wondering how much this dump will affect pinball purchases? Or just put them on credit cards?

#100 5 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

I'm wondering how much this dump will affect pinball purchases? Or just put them on credit cards?

When people's 401ks are worth 1/4 of what they were, and others at their job places are starting to get their pink slips, and their house is only 1/3 paid off with a second mortgage to boot, then comes the time to put off buying that new Beverly Hillbillies SuperLE pinball machine.

There are 116 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/thousands-of-nib-pinball-machines-being-produced/page/2?hl=asmig and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.