7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by poppapin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2940 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2934 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2935 (resized).JPG
    #1 7 years ago

Hmm, no response, so let's change the title of the thread.
    I am in Charlotte, just in case location is pertinent. Anyhoo, here is my situation and question. The first pinball machine I purchased (several years ago) was a Bally Wizard! It was a mess. Literally had an old Bic pen stuck in one of the coils to keep it locked. Turn it on to play a ball, turn it off when you were done. Needless to say it had been patched together over the years with the assorted touchup, hack, etc. A true project game (although I didn't realize it at the time). In addition to the usual stuff, I had to replace some bad coils, completely rebuild the flippers (including back to stock coils), and replace assorted broken parts. The cabinet looked like it had been used as a gate for a livestock pen, so I patched and repainted. Playfield was really bad in several places due to wear and "touch-ups". I tried to get the playfield back into decent condition. (Paint, 2PAC to level cupped inserts, quick coat of clear; The biggest problem I had was outgassing on those damn inserts. Bad news looks like they were filled with carbonated water, good news is they are level.) As I tell people, it is now a playfield that only Tommy can appreciate Of course, the machine lighting was tastefully upgraded to 44's as well as the usual shop stuff. Anyhow, as you can see by the pics, the machine is certainly not HUO collectors quality but it also isn't a beater project. And this leads me to my question.

I am space limited and my wife never plays this game so I want to sell it. I would much prefer selling it to someone that understands pinball machines. Specifically, that anything could malfunction at anytime and, in fact, you can be assured that something will at sometime in the future. That would suggest selling on a venue like Pinside. However, it seems like Pinside members are really only looking for beaters, collector quality or super rare titles. This is none of those. Trades? Love to. However, our current favorite is MM. It seems like the trades here are typically games of similar value plus or minus a grand or two. This would be the opposite, where the machine represents a fraction of the cash. So, I'd like to get thoughts on how best to sell (Pinside, e-Bay, Craigslist, Mr. Pinball, others?) And, of course, feel free to let me know how you would price it in that venue.
    Thanks

#2 7 years ago

Here are a couple of pics:

IMG_2935 (resized).JPGIMG_2935 (resized).JPG

IMG_2934 (resized).JPGIMG_2934 (resized).JPG

IMG_2940 (resized).JPGIMG_2940 (resized).JPG

#3 7 years ago

Bump, since I changed the title of the thread.

#4 7 years ago

I personally don't think it looks too bad at all. I would just post an add with good pictures and describe what you have done. But I am far from an expert...

#5 7 years ago

You have lots of options...

Here in Pinside in the market...you can select to make into a discussion thread.

...with this you can put the market ad link to the following threads
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-electro-mechanical-trading-post-open

If you put a CL ad
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/some-nice-looking-em-classics-just-came-up-on-cl/page/318#post-3438530

Mr. Pinball Classifieds
    https://user.xmission.com/~daina/classified/

As far as value, can't help there...I haven't been keeping up with the price ranges for this title.

#6 7 years ago

I suggest Pinside. It is the most hassle free place to sell a pinball machine these days. If you describe the game and are honest, I think you will be able to sell the game here. It really looks fine to me. I know a purist will not like the black trim on this title, but I think it looks good. If you were a bit closer, I would consider trading for the game. As long as it works well, I see no reason why you couln't get 800-1200 for the game pictured. Wizard is one of the more desirable, late EM titles.

#7 7 years ago

I would try to take some pics of playfield detailing any wear areas. From pics posted it looks pretty good.
    Speaking for myself I have good luck selling on craigslist, probably because there are tons of collectors in the Philly area.

#8 7 years ago

Contacts in your local pinball community are great. Even if you don't sell to one of them maybe you can arrange to take the machine to an upcoming show.

Craigslist is fine. Sometimes you have to educate buyers, preferably before the sale. Once in a while someone gets buyer's remorse and I politely tell those people our transaction has concluded and good day madam.

Pinside is great for finding knowledgeable pinball people but $3-400 shipping on a game is a tough sell on an $800 game.

#9 7 years ago

Thanks for the input.
    Poppapin...how many knuckleheads and tire-kickers do you get on Craigslist?

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from Oldgoat:

Thanks for the input.
    Poppapin...how many knuckleheads and tire-kickers do you get on Craigslist?

Some, but I can usually weed them out. I don't gouge on my prices & I'm honest about condition & provide good detailed pics to potential buyers. I've bought a lot of my pins from craigslist also.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/thoughtsadvice-on-venue-charlotte-nc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.