Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by brad808
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Well I've got some cash laying around from a prior sale and thinking TFTC. I played one prior for a couple games and it seemed fun. Plus I've never had a shaker motored pin. I'm also a William's fan and haven't owned a Data East.

Anyway, thoughts? What to look for? Pricing? Thanks. Also, repairs compared to Williams pins, although I'm guessing similar. Also, is the topper standard issue, or a mod?

Thanks

#2 9 years ago

Great game! There is a ton to do and each mode is varied... Spinners, ramps, scoops, VUK, shaker, captive ball, etc. I'm an owner, so I'm biased and I won't estimate value. I cared enough about mine to clear, powdercoat, add FF speakers and Herg's LED board. You won't regret a purchase.

Look for wear at the scoop and a weak VUK. Scoop can be covered by a Cliffy and the VUK can be repaired for $21 in parts.

#3 9 years ago

Thanks.

Never owning a data east, another question or two: does the playfield pull out like William's WPC for ease in shopping? Also, how is the shop on it? Easy? Hard?

#4 9 years ago

Also the GI burns up in these games, just like B/W. The power supply boards also get toasted and I've heard the Rottendog replacements aren't the greatest. It seems like $2200-2400 is the average right now.

#5 9 years ago

Yep, check for GI burns on the big connector in the backbox (very common).
Also make SURE the door handle assembly, tombstone assembly, wireforms and vuks are intact.
I have seen plenty of TFTC games that are missing parts, and these are the parts that are usually missing and HARD TO FIND.

Good luck on your quest. TFTC is a great game and shows you a glimpse of great things that John Borg would do in the future with other games.

#6 9 years ago

Just sold my TFTC for $1800 last week. 100% working. Good condition, original handle, crisp display, clean boards, no topper. Some wear at scoop.

I also thought the market price was $2200-2400. I listed it for $2100 and it sat for weeks, receiving offers between $600-$1500. There was another listed at the same time for $2250 that still hasn't sold. Seems the market has slowed due to all of the new pins on the horizon.

Good time to buy.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Thanks.
Never owning a data east, another question or two: does the playfield pull out like William's WPC for ease in shopping? Also, how is the shop on it? Easy? Hard?

Yea it does but it sits on two crappy pegs that poke out under the PF.
Its harder to get back in too.
I have one and love it.
new roms coming soon for it too !!

#8 9 years ago

Shop out on TFTC isn't too bad. The ramps are a bit of a pain because there's some overlapping going on. They're only coming off in 1 order and the same is true for putting the back on.

The most common issue on a TFTC is for it to have either a damaged or missing door handle shooter. There should be a door handle, a half head cover, and the launch "button" is the tongue of the head. Frequently, the head and / or handle are missing completely. When they are there, it is commonly chipped, especially the tongue.

Eyeball targets can break. Again, not sure what the availability is of those.

Decals for the drop targets and tombstone used to be available. Probably still are somewhere.

Other common issues with this game are the VUK (as has been mentioned) and the tombstone (which is motor driven). I never had issues with either when I owned the game (for about 3 years), but certainly things to checkout when purchasing.

I'm not sure if the topper was standard or not. Mine didn't have it when I bought it. I bought one, but they weren't cheap, even 10 years ago. I'm not sure how readily available they are now. One of the best toppers in pinball, though (and I'm not big on after-market toppers).

It was a fun game. Wives / girlfriends will hate it. The Crypt Keeper never shuts up. Lots of good call outs, though. Double jackpot is one of the better in pins, I think. Good humor, too. I'm suddenly wondering why I ever sold mine. Damn you!

(good luck with your search)

#9 9 years ago

Make sure the metal gate is at the end of the shooter lane to block balls from rolling back in. I think cliffy might make one.

#10 9 years ago

There's also an assembly that mounts over the three-bank with a plastic and light. These get snapped in half.

Play-wise it's a solid game. Some lame modes, some really good modes. 6-ball electric chair and wizard mode multi-balls. Add-a-ball shot during multis.

I very much enjoy mine. Nicely done game.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#11 9 years ago

TFTC could be an awesome game, but the position of the mode start scoop makes it a frustrating nightmare. It didn't last too long in my collection for that reason. The modes, the sounds, the art are all there, the gameplay just ends up being a brickfest due to that stupid mode start hole. It just ruined the game for me because it eliminates all the flow.

#12 9 years ago

TFTC is an awesome game if you can handle the theme. Deep ruleset and challenging shots has kept this game in my collection for 10+ years. Very undervalued machine IMO. By far my favorite DE game and I have owned a GNR too.

The topper is factory. It is made of very flimsy plastic and most were broken and then removed.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

TFTC could be an awesome game, but the position of the mode start scoop makes it a frustrating nightmare. It didn't last too long in my collection for that reason. The modes, the sounds, the art are all there, the gameplay just ends up being a brickfest due to that stupid mode start hole. It just ruined the game for me because it eliminates all the flow.

I must disagree. The scoop shot is very tight from the lower right flipper, but pretty easy from the upper. Just shoot the middle spinner for a setup at the scoop (or tombstone, depending on what you want).

Crypt Jam is very adequately located in the code to be attainable occasionally but not too often, keeping it special.

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from urbanledge:

I have one and love it. new roms coming soon for it too !!

More info on the new ROM's, please!

#15 9 years ago

I remember this game in the past and decided to be my first game. For the price and value it's a great fun game with two nice flowing ramps and six or 3 or add a ball multiple balls. Shaker is nice as well. Modes are fun and I loved the show so laughing etc does not bug me at all. Every game makes noise or something that will bug you over time, trying playing with music on in the background and a little volume. Nice call outs I believe over 200 per what it says online when reading and display zombie graphics. I like the TFTC music which plays throughout the game as well. Look for some speaker slight buzz hym noise when game is in attract mode but should not affect during game play. Overall it's not a Williams or Bally feel to it but fun for everything u get in it. Topper can be bought if u want it as repro, head for handle but not the actual handle with tongue until someone can create one. This and GNR are my favorite DE pins.

#16 9 years ago

I actually disabled the switches at the ramp entrances on mine. This removes a lot of the cackling, but doesn't really effect the rules. The entrances score a measly 25k points, but are otherwise useless in the game. The game is great fun, definitely one of DE's top machines. I'm on my 2nd one.

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

I actually disabled the switches at the ramp entrances on mine. This removes a lot of the cackling, but doesn't really effect the rules. The entrances score a measly 25k points, but are otherwise useless in the game. The game is great fun, definitely one of DE's top machines. I'm on my 2nd one.

People keep saying this and I keep explaining that those switches are worth a lot more. Any of the frenzies or wizard mode score up to 1 million points per switch. That makes a failed ramp shot worth 2 million points.

#18 9 years ago

Agree with Fattdirk. The mode start hole is positioned poorly. Plus the game is very clunky.

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from brad808:

Any of the frenzies or wizard mode score up to 1 million points per switch. That makes a failed ramp shot worth 2 million points.

What frenzies do this? Lightning round?

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from pinballkyle1:

Agree with Fattdirk. The mode start hole is positioned poorly. Plus the game is very clunky.

Like any game, it's how you set it up. Mine is buttery smooth because it's set at the appropriate incline and everything is in good shape with strong flippers. I've played clunky games of AFM & MM.

The cliffy makes the scoop hard to shoot, which is the biggest reason I repaired it and cleared. It's supposed to be a hard shot from the right, but the third flipper makes it pretty consistently.

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

What frenzies do this? Lightning round?

Everything on the right ramp:
Living Dead is 250k per switch
Chainsaw is 500k per switch
Grave Digger is 750k per switch
Play the Organ is 1 Mil per switch
They are activated by hitting the right ramp or by hitting the left ramp multiple times.

Crypt Jam is also worth 1 mil per switch. So if you are playing crypt jam or play the organ then anytime you hit one of those switches its worth 1 mil. If you make it part way up the ramp you will hit it once going up and once on the way back down making that shot 2 mil. During multiball that can add up to a lot.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 345.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Playfield - Plastics
Mad Czar Games

£ 32.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
South Bound Brook, NJ
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Boards
Slap Save Creations

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
$ 64.00
$ 18.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/thoughts-on-tftc-price-check-what-to-look-for and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.