#1 12 years ago

I know it is a fun game to play and a very basic ruleset but thoughts
on placing in the collection? Guy has owned this game for about 20
years and says it is in excellent shape. Has nice cabinet, playfield
looks good (per him) I haven't seen pictures, topper is there and it
is the Marilyn run. He is asking 1499 which I think is a bit high but
wanted to ask the group. Do you see this game holding its value since
it seems to be getting harder to find? Just an 1-1/2 drive for me to
check this thing out.....anything I need to look out for?

Thank you for you opinion's on this....

#2 12 years ago

No idea what to look out for and you already know it's a cool game so my advice is ask to see some pictures before making a 3 hour (round trip) drive. Oftentimes a seller's "excellent shape" is a buyers "project."

#3 12 years ago

While the price is high, it's certainly not unreasonable if it's in really nice shape. I think it will definitely hold its value over time. Taxi is one of the more popular System 11s, and the Marilyn ones are obviously more collectible.

#4 12 years ago

It's a great game, easy to understand for new players but requires good playing skills to play it well. The usual problem is one of wear on the playfield and damage to ramps. I had one a couple of years back and there were spare ramps available and playfield decal sets so it wasn't such a problem. Also check that the topper is there.

#5 12 years ago

Make sure the spinout ramp is in good shape. It is my understanding that they are nearly impossible to find.

#6 12 years ago

Thanks for the help on this....I will try and get some pictures and go from there.

#7 12 years ago

The price is a little high. And in my opinion the pin is a little old. I played it recently and it's fun but not as fun as some other games you could get for the same $$.

I really like the theme. It's a classic. If I bought one it would be for that reason not the gameplay.

I just bought a Diner that is often compared to Taxi. Kinda the same gameplay. The Diner needs work, Paid $1000 but I like the Art and Theme better than Taxi.

#8 12 years ago

I think the price is really high. I say pass, unless he'll come down closer to $1,000.

Diner is also worth a lot more than Taxi, they made a lot less of them. Taxi is worth right around $1K, Diner $1.5K, if you're going to spend $1.5K and theme is important Diner is better but I think Taxi is probably a little better game.

Pass on this Taxi, try and find a deal. If you regret it you can buy $1.5K Taxi's all day long, even in CA.

#9 12 years ago

I paid about £530 for my Taxi Pinball machine a year ago. I'd say the condition was ok for its age. I've since cleaned it and changed all of the rubbers.

#10 12 years ago

Taxi_.jpgTaxi_.jpgI sold my Marilyn " Taxi " yesterday for $ 1700.00 . The previous owner added New ramp's , Pop-Bumper caps. He did a Full re-build on the Flipper's , and the Display's were Clear and Brilliant..
The insert decal's were VERY Nice.. He installed New Decal's on the Drop-target's , Recent Re-Rubber job, a FULL Shop etc..... The Best Taxi that I have come across..

Taxi_.jpgTaxi_.jpg Taxi_x-tra_Plastics_and_roms.jpgTaxi_x-tra_Plastics_and_roms.jpg Taxi_p-f.jpgTaxi_p-f.jpg Taxi-_B-glass.jpgTaxi-_B-glass.jpg

#11 12 years ago

A Taxi with full LED replacement is one of the sharpest sys 11s in my opinion. If you get a lot of non-enthusiast visitors, then Taxi seems to be pretty popular outside of pinhead circles for casual players.

#12 12 years ago

Good looking machine. Lucky man.

#13 12 years ago

I like Taxi and it is a classic. I like the theme and the way they incorporated it with the art. At the same time I have to agree with wesperon that it is not as fun to play as some others in that price range (1500 to 1700 range) but everyone has different tastes. It is high for a Taxi but you know we pay a little extra in Cali for just about everything. I would try to get him to the $1150 to $1300 range. Maybe you can say I can get you $1200 cash today see what he says if you like it when you see it. It may be hard to negotiate with someone who owned it for so long but you can always give it a shot. Since you already have three in your collection a Taxi would be a solid addition IMO. It's close enough to you to check it out. If you end up getting it share some photos with us.

#14 12 years ago

Taxi is a great pin top 3 system 11 pins behind Whirlwind and Funhouse. THe only thing I could say to watch out for is the wear around the bumpers if not mylard could get bad. WHich is the case with most older pins. HEre is an awesome review by Chris Bucci on his Taxi.

#15 12 years ago
Quoted from PinWiz17:

Taxi is a great pin top 3 system 11 pins behind Whirlwind and Funhouse.

Just nit picking Goughs417, but Funhouse is an early WPC not System 11

I have a Marylin Taxi, and I really like it. I paid $1200, but it needs playfield touchup, ramps and some plastics. The cabinet is almost perfect. I'll likely either do the playfield touchups and clearcoat, or wait a year or so for CPR to reproduce the playfield. This of course will add $600 to the overall cost for me, but I don't plan on selling anyways, as it is a great game to have in a collection.

#16 12 years ago

As a heads up, I heard the CPR playfields will be Lola and not Marylin...

Quoted from shock_me:

have a Marylin Taxi, and I really like it. I paid $1200, but it needs playfield touchup, ramps and some plastics. The cabinet is almost perfect. I'll likely either do the playfield touchups and clearcoat, or wait a year or so for CPR to reproduce the playfield.

#17 12 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

As a heads up, I heard the CPR playfields will be Lola and not Marylin...

If the market becomes flooded with restored Lolas, I would think it would make a Marilyn in really nice condition that much more collectible.

#18 12 years ago

Sure, but I wouldn't put a CPR Lola in a Marilyn....

Quoted from gweempose:

If the market becomes flooded with restored Lolas, I would think it would make a Marilyn in really nice condition that much more collectible.

#19 12 years ago

The game makes more sense with Marilyn, that is the one I am keeping my eyes open for.

#20 12 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Make sure the spinout ramp is in good shape.

Very true. Taxi is a great game if it is in great shape, but a spinout ramp system that is even slightly messed up makes the skill shot impossible. Taxi is truly a classic, and a lot of my friends who are not pinheads are still quickly engrossed by it. It's pretty simple by comparison to others, but it's a lot of fun. If the price is a little less, it would be worth it for sure.

#21 12 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Sure, but I wouldn't put a CPR Lola in a Marilyn....

That's exactly my point. Once people start restoring their Lolas with the new playfields, there will suddenly be a much higher ratio of nice Lolas to nice Marilyns. As a result, the Marilyns will become more valuable.

#22 12 years ago

It's hard to find a Taxi with a great playfield, unbroken spinout (made of unobtainium), and an un beat-down cabinet. If no repairs are needed, no cabinet or playfield touch-ups, It's a decent price. try to talk down the price for each condition requiring repair or touch-up. They're not too difficult to work on, but removing ramps and such to get at the nether reaches is a real bear. The machine is very popular to the general public but requires skillful shots to get far into the game. I had one of these on location with a Jurassic Park, and the Taxi got alot more plays.

#23 12 years ago

Wish I was closer.

denver.craigslist.org link

#25 12 years ago

It's a good deal, but not that good. Most Taxi's are pretty well played. Based on my conversation with the seller, after you put a couple hundred into it, and you spend 20 hours shopping, you have a solid Taxi for about $250 less than it's worth.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 109.00
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Cedar Rapids, IA
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 22.50
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 99.00
Cabinet Parts
Gizmorama Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/thoughts-on-taxi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.