• DP 9 votes
    10%
  • Iron Maiden 30 votes
    32%
  • JJPOTC 38 votes
    41%
  • Other - explain below 0 votes

(93 votes)

There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 5 years ago

Looking to add 1 game to my collection of current available games line up. It would be a premium version. Thoughts on which one to pick up to go with my current game collection? I have played most of the current Stern's (including Munsters) and seem to like the 3 listed the best. I was leaning towards SW but cant really say I am a SW movie nut (although I do like the movies, just dont remember all the details). I probably had my best games on Iron Maiden but I am not an IM music fan. I will say I didnt like Metallica either and now I do after getting the pin. DP was another that I liked when I played but only put a few games on it. I will probably go play them all again but wanted to hear some thoughts..... or maybe other games? I guess a JJPOTC could is an option, I played that game at a pinball show but it had some reset and game stuck issues and was not working well at the time so cant really say..... Also, I have a ACNC on order.

#2 5 years ago

Me personally I would pick iron maiden as a tournament player the game keeps me coming back for me there's a lot you can do in the game.

#3 5 years ago

Maiden is a solid pin, though mostly code driven. Layout is fun and unique.

JJPOTC was cool to play. Tons of EVERYTHING.I think in the home it’d be interesting for a long time. Might worry about parts availability b/c there will be so few.

Deadpool tried to be unique but is is a miss. Like “struck out swinging.”

SW to me was ”struck out looking.”

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

Maiden is a solid pin, though mostly code driven. Layout is fun and unique.
JJPOTC was cool to play. Tons of EVERYTHING.I think in the home it’d be interesting for a long time. Might worry about parts availability b/c there will be so few.
Deadpool tried to be unique but is is a miss. Like “struck out swinging.”
SW to me was ”struck out looking.”

Why do I keep reading that there won't be a lot of POTC?

#5 5 years ago

SW is the toughest shooter of the bunch, so paired with ACNC may lead to a frustrating lineup especially for guests. DP just doesn't do anything for me. I can't stand IM music and I would not get a music pin if I didn't like the band. JJPOTC is great in the home environment and has a ton of flow and unique shots and mechs with the deepest code of the bunch. I would say to a casual guest this one is the friendliest. And my JJP games have always been the favorites of the non-pinheads (majority of my friends). Good luck.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Why do I keep reading that there won't be a lot of POTC?

Pinball News interview where JJP said they are done manufacturing JJPOTC with no inventory left, moving on to the next two titles......

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:SW is the toughest shooter of the bunch, so paired with ACNC may lead to a frustrating lineup especially for guests.

Yes but I do have several other games. I will also add that I am getting older and starting to think about retirement next year. This game plus ACNC probably will be my last pinball purchases as it will complete the game room and I will need to change my spending habits in retirement. I am trying to line up all my toys now and enjoy them for the years to come. I guess I could trade games in the future but the plan is to probably slowly offload them as I get older and older but that is a ways away.

#8 5 years ago

I have a SW premium, JJPOTC, and ACNC on the way as well. Of my current lineup, SW frustrates me the most. I have a love/hate relationship with it. But I grew up a SW fanboy and love the theme, music, and clips. So, it will stay. Just trying to give you some perspective. I think SW premium is a great and challenging game. The hyperloop is the best modern Stern mech by far. When you have a good game on SW you really feel a sense of accomplishment. But be prepared for a ton of short and frustrating ones. Good luck with your decision.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

I have a SW premium, JJPOTC, and ACNC on the way as well. Of my current lineup, SW frustrates me the most.

Thanks - I appreciate your thought and input.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Pinball News interview where JJP said they are done manufacturing JJPOTC with no inventory left, moving on to the next two titles......

If this is true, I really don't understand why. I think this is the best game JJP has produced. It's absolutely fantastic.

Back on topic, if money isn't an issue, JJPPOTC gets my vote. Incredible game. Very fun to shoot. Love everything about the game except the plunder thing. Would like to be able to disable that if possible.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from TwilightZone:

If this is true, I really don't understand why. I think this is the best game JJP has produced. It's absolutely fantastic.
Back on topic, if money isn't an issue, JJPPOTC gets my vote. Incredible game. Very fun to shoot. Love everything about the game except the plunder thing. Would like to be able to disable that if possible.

It didn't sell. BIG delay in production from announcement. A tired, previously done license. No licensed movie sounds/clips.

That added up to few orders. So rather than ordering a huge number in parts in bulk for production runs, they essentially killed it.

Conversely, WOZ has a ton of parts still in the warehouse, which is why a new Yellow Brick Road edition is coming out. They weren't going to do that w/JJPTOTC.

#12 5 years ago

except the plunder thing.

What is the plunder thing?

#13 5 years ago

I saw in a tutorial that there are several plunder settings.

#14 5 years ago

It didn't sell. BIG delay in production from announcement. A tired, previously done license. No licensed movie sounds/clips.
That added up to few orders. So rather than ordering a huge number in parts in bulk for production runs, they essentially killed it.
Conversely, WOZ has a ton of parts still in the warehouse, which is why a new Yellow Brick Road edition is coming out. They weren't going to do that w/JJPTOTC.

It did sell. Very well actually. In fact they haven’t been able to keep up with demand. Their current outstanding orders will take them into April to manufacture. The reason is so they can move to the next game. They also did not say they’ll never do another run of POTC. It is very likely they will.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from marksf123:

What is the plunder thing?

When playing with multiple players you can plunder each other’s points, good, balls, etc. It can be cranked way up in frequency or disabled in settings, and everything in between.

I’d say get POTC as it’s easily one of the best games ever made.

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

It did sell. Very well actually. In fact they haven’t been able to keep up with demand. Their current outstanding orders will take them into April to manufacture. The reason is so they can move to the next game. They also did not say they’ll never do another run of POTC. It is very likely they will.

So "it's selling so well, we're halting production immediately without plans to make more and moving on to the next game."

Do other businesses follow this "logic"?

#17 5 years ago

So "it's selling so well, we're halting production immediately without plans to make more and moving on to the next game."
Do other businesses follow this "logic"?

My guess: the next two are further along than we realize and that they want to make sure they have them ready to go when they announce. Even without the disks/chest change it took way to long from reveal to deliveries for JJPOTC...

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

I’d say get POTC as it’s easily one of the best games ever made.

OK - You guys now have me leaning towards a POTC.

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

My guess: the next two are further along than we realize and that they want to make sure they have them ready to go when they announce. Even without the disks/chest change it took way to long from reveal to deliveries for JJPOTC...

Yeah. As JJP continues to make more games their factory can likely only handle so many titles at a time. If YBR WOZ's are next, followed by Willy Wonka around say May / June and then Toy Story in the fall it makes sense that production on other games will stop.

#20 5 years ago

I play IM on location and it's a really good layout, flows nicely, fun shots, and good code. But I am not an IM music fan, so for that reason I'd never own one. On location you can't really hear the music in a busy arcade, so you can enjoy the game that way.

#21 5 years ago

Jjppotc is selling fine at this time and they are very busy with orders. They just wanna have the next title ready to ship soon after revealing so there isn't a debacle like the year wait for potc. I completely understand this and think its good strategy for more orders /business. If there is demand for more potc they will do another run as needed. Hopefully pats wonka and toy s are super awesome tho and sell a ton .

#22 5 years ago

Gotta love these "help me choose" opinion threads. For some reason I always have to read what people wrote.
OP you should add a poll.
My prediction is that POTCLE will win in a landslide.
Looking at your collection, I think it will give you something drastically different to play in the home environment.
On a side note, from your wishlist, you should find a TWDPrem for your next Stern. Very underrated pin IMO.

#23 5 years ago

I would keep looking and get more playtime. I played POTC but was not impressed. It's no doubt a beautiful game packed with features but I didn't feel engaged in gameplay. Guess I really don't care for the theme or the way it plays. Price is nuts. I found Dialed In to be much more fun and better playing. Cheaper, too.

Iron Maiden is the most fun of the group by far imo. Great layout and four flippers. I really don't like the music either so that's an issue. Gameplay is pretty forgiving so that maybe an issue over time. DP is okay but guess it's the theme that brings it down for me. I'm not sure if it's supposed to be kind of annoying but it is. SW is kind of underwhelming at first but really fun game with loads of depth. If you can find a good deal on a used SW or Iron Maiden premium, I would say that would be tough to beat.

#24 5 years ago

Get them all!!!!!!

#25 5 years ago

I think another JJPOTC run is likely in the future. After the next 3 that are predicted, I think a lot of people will be experiencing JJP for the first time. That will lead them to look into older titles. Some people are ok with used but others will always want NIB. It will be a perfect time for a second short run of JJPOTC. Same thing they did with WOZ and Hobbit.

And now back to the original topic at hand...

#27 5 years ago

I played JJPOTC one time at ReplayFX, but have played it more than 100 times on location. It has become my favorite pin.

It has a bit of everything. Fantastic shooter, incredible layout in a wide body that shoots like a standard, and a very deep rule set from Keith Johnson. The 22 characters that require you to play a bit differently depending on who you choose makes the game perfect for in-home use.

#28 5 years ago

If cost is a factor, IMDN. If not, JJPOTC.

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from marksf123:

OK - You guys now have me leaning towards a POTC.

Watch out for fanboy posts, price-pumping owners, newbs with limited exposure. Not everone is so impressed with it. Go play these some more. Choose for youself.

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Watch out for fanboy posts, price-pumping owners, newbs with limited exposure. Not everone is so impressed with it. Go play these some more. Choose for youself.

Yes because everyone who likes a pin is price pumping noobs who know nothing.

#31 5 years ago

Sorry about the derail OP, let me answer your question now:

SW Premium: Owned one NIB, sold in 6 months. Definite LOVE (theme, sound, music, rules), Definite HATE (worst ball plunge in modern pin history, cheap drains). A pin that makes you a better player yet frustrates the living crap out of you due to cheap drains. Most visitors who play my pins are non-pinheads, eyes lit up when they saw a SW pin, walked away disappointed due to cheap drains. If they ever vault this one Stern had better send the ball plunges to the top lanes instead of the middle target bank.

IMDN: 2nd best pin Stern Pin overall last 5 years, best layout Stern pin last 5 years. As close to a complete pin as Stern has made recently, awesome rookie designer effort by Elwin. That being said, with this theme and music it's a no in my house. Hoping for a retheme on this one.....

DP: Solid average Stern pin, but code & rules don't really grab me. 5 years from now it will be just another 2nd tier Stern pin

JJPOTC: Waiting for it to be delivered March 1, so jury is still out, but all things are pointing this to be one of the best ever......

Another one to consider: BM66 - Stern's best pin since LOTR and may be ever. Awesome theme, music, video, and callouts more than make up for some clunky shots and put it ahead of IMDN.

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

JJPOTC: Waiting for it to be delivered March 1, so jury is still out, but all things are pointing this to be one of the best ever......

Wow

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Sorry about the derail OP, let me answer your question now:
SW Premium: Owned one NIB, sold in 6 months. Definite LOVE (theme, sound, music, rules), Definite HATE (worst ball plunge in modern pin history, cheap drains). A pin that makes you a better player yet frustrates the living crap out of you due to cheap drains. Most visitors who play my pins are non-pinheads, eyes lit up when they saw a SW pin, walked away disappointed due to cheap drains. If they ever vault this one Stern had better send the ball plunges to the top lanes instead of the middle target bank.
IMDN: 2nd best pin Stern Pin overall last 5 years, best layout Stern pin last 5 years. As close to a complete pin as Stern has made recently, awesome rookie designer effort by Elwin. That being said, with this theme and music it's a no in my house. Hoping for a retheme on this one.....
DP: Solid average Stern pin, but code & rules don't really grab me. 5 years from now it will be just another 2nd tier Stern pin
Another one to consider: BM66 - Stern's best pin since LOTR and may be ever. Awesome theme, music, video, and callouts more than make up for some clunky shots and put it ahead of IMDN.

This is a great review/impression on these games. The SW review is spot-on. I guess I'm a masochist, because I still have mine. DP screams average...and one man's average can be another's favorite (I love my Hobbit). IMDN could and never will be welcome in my home because of theme alone. I do disagree on BM 66. I just can't stand that crane. Hated it on the original Dark Knight and still hate it. It makes no sense with the theme and just irritates the heck out of me. Otherwise, the theme is fantastic. But just not fun to shoot. But, I've never really cared for Gomez layouts.

#34 5 years ago

Jack is known to run and rerun unlimited "limited" edditions. It would be interesting to know when the license actually expires, that would be a true test as to when the last run would occur.

#35 5 years ago

Of the pins on your list, I would go with POTC. I think it will be the deepest, most enjoyable pin for the home. All of the pins have their strengths, but it comes down to how much you enjoy them.

#36 5 years ago

<blockquote cite="#4846576"

I do have BM66LE currently in my collection

#37 5 years ago

Also watch out for those regularly tossing jabs at JJP and trying to stir up crap about them.

#38 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Yes because everyone who likes a pin is price pumping noobs who know nothing.

Nope. Far from it. But some here lack objectivity.

#39 5 years ago
Quoted from marksf123:

&lt;blockquote cite="#4846576"
I do have BM66LE currently in my collection

If only the layout was a little better. Still a great pin, but can't be the best IMO when there's clunkiness

#40 5 years ago

I think your collection could use a deeper game like POTC. SW is going to be deep as well, but I would hold out for a used premium. Let someone else take the 1-1.5k hit on it, rather than NIB. There are plenty out there and they seem to rotate in and out of collections frequently, so your patience could be rewarded. POTC is expensive up front, but should (IMO) hold its value better in the short run, due to the early stop in production. Given their current production schedule, I wouldn't expect a new run of POTC until sometime next year at the earliest.

I didn't care that much for DP when I played it. It shot good, but that's where the interest level ended for me. I love IMDN and enjoy their music. I've had one since June and its still a keeper. Though if you don't like their music, you may want to take pause.

#41 5 years ago

I've played extensively on all of the 4 pins.

Looking at your current collection, I'd choose JJPPOTC. Personally, this is one of the best pins I've played to date!

All of them are great in their own way, but I feel Pirates is the best choice, especially in a home environment.

#42 5 years ago

Any reason why you're only considering NIB pins for your last slot?

#43 5 years ago

If only the layout was a little better. Still a great pin, but can't be the best IMO when there's clunkiness

Stern ST is considered one of the top flowing games ever made and has a clunky vengeance target you have to hit. BM66 has the turntable and a crane that only interferes in one mode, every other shot flows just fine.

#44 5 years ago

Any reason why you're only considering NIB pins for your last slot?

I would consider a HUO newer pin like SW. I pretty much moved off buying used older pins as I find unless I can play them I usually find fault that is not listed.

#45 5 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

BM66 has the turntable and a crane that only interferes in one mode, every other shot flows just fine.

I'll have to confess that BM66 was a sleeper pin for me. I had less than zero interest in it until I played one. I was pleasantly surprised by the depth and all the lesser villains there were to battle. Now I would consider one in the future.

#46 5 years ago

I’ve got a SW Pro and an IMLE. I’m a little over an hour south of you. Hit me up via a PM if you want some to come down and check the play out.

#47 5 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

I'll have to confess that BM66 was a sleeper pin for me. I had less than zero interest in it until I played one. I was pleasantly surprised by the depth and all the lesser villains there were to battle. Now I would consider one in the future.

I got lucky on the BM66LE. I was ready to buy an AS and the day I was ready to buy a BM66LE can available not too far from me. It was with the .65 code and most people were not happy with it. I actually thought it was fun. I thought it was a good risk cause Lyman was coding it and I got it at a discount. Plus the topper was too cool.

#48 5 years ago

Based on your collection, Pirates or WOZ.

#49 5 years ago

You’ll be able to play the Stern games on location anywhere for a long time. I personally think maiden is the only decent one you’ve listed.

JJPOTC is a lot of fun, lots of code lots of Easter eggs, lots of everything, good flow and action. When I’ve played it I’ve seen where the $ went and I always wanted to know more about the rules. The stealing aspect makes multiplayer games fun as well

Yeah you might worry about finding spare parts for JJPOTC in the future, but, on the other hand, unlike a Stern, at least it has parts!

Your money though. Whatever floats your, errr, ship matey.

#50 5 years ago

SW and IMdn would be by far my choices. DP and POTC are fine games but not in the same class. I've had my SW premium for a year now and I like it more now than ever. Just had my best game ever last night in fact. Having so many clips from the real movies with the real music, actors and voices makes that game a Star Wars fan's dream. Iron Maiden is a game I've played on location a lot. I want to have one some day, though I would have to swap out the music for something more palatable. The animations are really great on that game too. DP is a great theme and pretty fun to play and so is POTC, but neither one tempts me in the least to purchase with my hard earned money.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

Machine - For Sale
Omaha, NE
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Twisted Tokens

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Belmont, MI
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cheko's Shop

9,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 7.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 64.99
$ 132.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/thoughts-on-sw-vs-iron-maiden-vs-dp-vs-jjpotc?hl=looking4firstpin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.