Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Concretehardt
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

My first exposure to the new metal box design was helping my friend unbox his IM. My thoughts:

* It's smart to use leg bolts to secure the box. I have tons of them.
* If the side panels get damaged, you can replace them. That's cool.
* If any other part of the head gets damaged, you'll have a dent. Not as cool.
* I prefer the seamless appearance of an all-wood, mitered backbox.
* This is a cost reduction, right?

Overall this wouldn't stop me from buying a really good new game, but it's a bit disappointing.

#2 5 years ago

I miss the quick locking mechanism.

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from fattdirk:

I miss the quick locking mechanism.

Same here. It's not something a person has to mess with much so I guess it's not that big of a deal. I would think the operators of pins that move them around to location would complain the most about it.
Just another cost cutter for Stern for us to put up with.

#4 5 years ago

I really like the way the DMD is angled to minimize reflections.

Round speaker holes also look nicer than the small square ones, for some reason.

#5 5 years ago

I think it's funny that they only send two bolts and you have to choose between bolting it in the back or inside the head. How cheap is stern that they can't send two more bolts?

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

I think it's funny that they only send two bolts and you have to choose between bolting it in the back or inside the head. How cheap is stern that they can't send two more bolts?

Why would you need to bolt it in both places?

#7 5 years ago

I used to hate the new design. I dig it now. After having ST pro and now IMve, I've gotten used to it, and I like it. I still like the look of the old back box, but the new one is still cool.

The only thing that I don't like it that my Sterns don't look uniform now. That pisses off my OCD.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

Have you ever put a game on route or taken one of your personal games to an expo or pinfest to be on free play for the weekend? Some people will try to turn these things upside down to save a drain.

I would want all 4 in there in this situation.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

That's what the extra 100 bucks is for on the metallica LED>

#10 5 years ago

For those of us who don't have a new Stern and have no idea what your talking about can anyone post some pics?

#11 5 years ago

I guess everyone's gotta complain about something right?

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from Starscream:

For those of us who don't have a new Stern and have no idea what your talking about can anyone post some pics?

There are 2 holes inside the head to secure it in place, kind of like the B/W games have the big head bolts. There are also 2 screw holes on the back of the machine to secure the head in place. Stern gives you 2 screws so you must choose one ot the other. You could probably get 2 more at any local hardware store for a buck.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

I bolted mine in the back and the backbox has slop in it, i.e. it flops around. Good enough reason?

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from Starscream:

Just google or look on their website. Star Trek (all versions) & Mustang (all versions) have the new head design. Iron Man ve, AC/DC LED PRo and Metallica LED Pro do as well.

I really like the new design. I like the slanted speaker panel & how the DMD is flush with it. I like the design of the backbox sides & how the T-molding goes all the way around. Maybe I like it because it reminds me of arcade video games.

#15 5 years ago

I like the new metal speaker panel. It's bringing art back to that area. Star Trek and Mustang were boring (gonna fix that for Star Trek!) but Iron Man VE got full color art, and now Metallica LED Pro will too. That's a good thing in my book.

I also like the side t-molding better, it's cleaner than the 4 pieces going all around, which have kinda ugly seams.

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from Roo:

Round speaker holes also look nicer than the small square ones, for some reason.

Because speakers are round. And I agree, they look better now. Everything except losing the coffin lock is an improvement, to me. I'm happy to trade the coffin lock (which I seldom use) to lose those fugly t-molding seams (which stare me in the face every day).

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

to lose those fugly t-molding seams (which stare me in the face every day).

You should look more at the game when playing it then when not.

#18 5 years ago

I like them. The only thing I miss is the quick lock mechanism, I always thought that was the one thing Stern did better than WMS in their cabinets.

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

The only thing that I don't like it that my Sterns don't look uniform now. That pisses off my OCD

just keep buying them and they eventually will!

#21 5 years ago

I don't mind it, the subtle improvements since the first Star Trek pro models have been very good, and it is now a good design improvement in my opinion.

#22 5 years ago

I never understood why the head needed any T-molding in the first place. But I think you guys are onto something...it looks more like a video game cab now. If you grew up in the 80's it's a familiar and even comforting sight. But if you grew up in the 70's like me, you want your pinball cabinet to look like a...cabinet.

I was totally cool with the lock bar latches, the plastic apron and even the pegs. Those were all invisible to the player and/or reversible. But this is the first cost reduction Stern have done that completely changes the look of the game. Based on the other posts here, it sounds like it was the right decision.

2 weeks later
#23 5 years ago

I like the new back box, The t molding that wraps both sides looks much better plus the speaker panel has some art on it.

#24 5 years ago

Whenever I walk up to one, I feel like someone punched the backbox and the DMD and translite got angled in oddly. Then I play it, and it's readily apparent why it was done. Works for me.

It's far more functional than the old design, it takes a bit of getting used to. I am really happy that I own 'original' Metallica and Iron Man, but I will have no problem owning any other 'new style' machines in the future. I think ST looks really sweet with it.

#25 5 years ago

I also miss the coffin lock it is "commercial grade"

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 5,599.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 5,599.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Sale Pending!
Oklahoma City, OK
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside