• Latest reply 10 years ago by Jags
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20130924_221230.jpg
#1 10 years ago

There's a good condition one for sale locally, but it looks like a ho-hum pin to me.

Anyone like this pin? Thoughts?

Price for a good condition one around $999 sound reasonable?

#2 10 years ago

Some on my favorite pins are from that era.

Check this out for rules ect if you haven't already.

http://pinball.org/videos/gameplay-videos/skateball/

$999 seems fair in that condition.

#3 10 years ago

Don't know aboot the price but that's a very well respected game.

#4 10 years ago

I wish I could find one in my area

#5 10 years ago

Best backglass of all time!

#6 10 years ago

Agree 1 K about right.

#7 10 years ago

Awesome game... one of the better Bally solid states for sure. I wish I could find a nice one myself.

#8 10 years ago

Love Skateball. One of the best single-ball classic Ballys.

#9 10 years ago

cool, thanks for the thoughts on this!

EDIT: I don't understand what the post below this one means.... anyone?

#10 10 years ago

You could bump is thread too bro.

#11 10 years ago

Awesome game! I am looking for one now in my area.

#12 10 years ago

Skateball was a surprise hit at our home. I bought it based on ipdb reviews and the colors/art which are just awesome. Once the boys learned how to build and collect bonuses they were hooked. Its a great change from our other newer tables and really makes for a great challenge table amongst my and my kids.

I have no clue what they are worth but I know my pinfund has money set aside for a CPR play field. Then I can break out all the new plastics, targets, bumpers, and stencil kit that's sitting in the closet lol. Yep it is a keeper for me.

#13 10 years ago

Skateball is so fun and so frustrating at the same time. It is such a challenge to get a good score, especially if you set it to 3 ball play. Definitely a great looking game. I'd go for it if you have the chance. The price you mentioned seems a bit high, but who knows with prices these days.

20130924_221230.jpg20130924_221230.jpg

#14 10 years ago

Foo.... why you gotta show off your pretty machine? I am jealous!

#15 10 years ago

Hmm, it looks like its not in such great shape. Needs a new speaker because of "low sound".... other than that it looks OK.

However, 2 requests for side art pictures were ignored and the seller just responded to my other questions / comments. Doesn't enstill a whole lot of confidence.

#16 10 years ago

Main thing is the backglass and playfield. The cab is simple art and can be touched up easy. And I am sure Twisted Pins can make the stencil. So buy it based on the condition of the BG and PF.

I have one love the ART of the game. Looks so cool.

A good collection has some lookers from each era.

#17 10 years ago

Great game. On my short list to buy if I ever find one for sale.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinballrus:

Best backglass of all time!

im not 100% sure, but I believe she forgot to put a bra on.....

#19 10 years ago

For a Classic Bally I liked it and played it in Retro pinball tournament and got me to 3rd place round after a bunch of other games and then to Star Trek for 2nd Place and lost in final on Spectrum. All games I have never played before.

#20 10 years ago

One of the best Bally pins of that era (and Bally made the best games of the day during this period). Lots to shoot for with 4 flippers and a great build/collect bonus scoring strategy.

I still wish it had a saucer I. The upper right hand side of the PF for multiball... But other than that, it's a great player and a damn fine game.

Enjoy it!

#21 10 years ago

Skate ball is the second best skateboarding themed pinball!!!

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from Caucasian2Step:

One of the best Bally pins of that era (and Bally made the best games of the day during this period).

78' to 82' ? luv that era of Bally pinball artwork.If only I could get my hands on some of those classic beauty's.

#23 10 years ago

I watched some tournament play on it yesterday....seems like a pretty cool game to me

http://pinball.org/videos/tournament/papa/2012-pinburgh-round-10-skateball/

#24 10 years ago

I paid $900 for my HUO Skateball that Brent is talking about. Plays Awesome & is in beautiful condition....

Quoted from Jackontherocks:

For a Classic Bally I liked it and played it in Retro pinball tournament and got me to 3rd place round after a bunch of other games and then to Star Trek for 2nd Place and lost in final on Spectrum. All games I have never played before

#25 10 years ago

I loved my Skateball, tons of drops, amazing artwork!! Only thing that sucks is that the sound is garbage on it...

#26 10 years ago

Skateball is an awesome machine. It was my first purchase, and will likely not leave the lineup for a long time.

Quoted from tomdotcom:

I loved my Skateball, tons of drops, amazing artwork!! Only thing that sucks is that the sound is garbage on it...

I guess to each their own, but I quite enjoy the sounds with this game. Wouldn't change it, as it goes hand in hand with that era.

Quoted from Stu:

I paid $900 for my HUO Skateball that Brent is talking about. Plays Awesome & is in beautiful condition....

Stu, do you have a link to any images if your HUO?

#27 10 years ago

Playfield is a rip-off of Flash, but it's a much better game than Flash. Great artwork and build bonus/collect bonus gameplay. Drop targets rule!!

Ron...

#28 10 years ago

Love the game.
I skateboard so the theme makes this machine that much cooler for me but not only is the art great the game play is there too.
I love the way the drops work, I wish more machines would make you hit the drops in a predetermined order.
As for the sound I love it but I also have a soft spot for synthesizers and skateball sounds like a broken atari 2600. Those white noise swells and nasty drones are beautiful to my ears but I could see how others would grow annoyed.

It is on my list of machines to own someday but I don't think it pay 1K unless it was in amazing condition.

Side note does anyone know what produces those noises? It sounds alot like the sequential circuits six trak which was based on some simpler chips from the arcade era.
It just has such a growl to it and I love the descending drones.

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

I have wanted to take out the droning surf soundtrack and replace it with a great sounding high quality ocean surf sound. Any ideas how?

#30 10 years ago

Skateball was my first game. I would absolutely LOVE to have another.

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from Don1:

I have wanted to take our the droning surf soundtrack and replace it with a great sounding high quality ocean surf sound. Any ideas how?

I'd be interested in this kinda thing also. Fathom is my grail game but the sound drives me a bit nuts sometimes. Sacrilege, I know.

#32 10 years ago

I'd consider trading my Skateball towards a Party Zone if anyone was so inclined...

#33 10 years ago

great game do it, just make sure there is no playfield wear...

as for the sound install one of those mp3 sound trigger kits

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from Slate:

Main thing is the backglass and playfield. The cab is simple art and can be touched up easy. And I am sure Twisted Pins can make the stencil. So buy it based on the condition of the BG and PF.

We actually just added this stencil to the site today. You can find it here

http://www.twistedpins.com/products/stencil_kits/?ProductID=150

I just picked up a Skateball myself a few weeks ago for $450 and it is a good solid player's machine.

#35 10 years ago

Foo... sell that thing to me!

#36 10 years ago

Yeah dude, sell it to Squeak.

#37 10 years ago

Squeak, you gettin' a SKATEBALL???

#38 10 years ago

Glenn, would have to find someone willing to sell to me in order to get one. With my luck Foo would be across the country anyway.

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from Slate:

Main thing is the backglass and playfield.

I know a Skateball repro Playfield is in the works. I have no idea on the time frame for this though.

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from Squeakman:

With my luck Foo would be across the country anyway.

Yeah... in the land of cheese. Half of my family is in Phoenix, Mesa, etc. and I do try to hit AZ as much as I can. Crash at my Uncle's place... hit the dirty Drummer with Grandpa... maybe the Brass Rail for some eggs and beer in the morning. Four Peaks Brew place in Tempe... man I love AZ.

#41 10 years ago
Quoted from Foo:

hit the dirty Drummer with Grandpa.

cool,but I heard the drummer CLOSED up

#42 10 years ago
Quoted from Foo:

Yeah... in the land of cheese. Half of my family is in Phoenix, Mesa, etc. and I do try to hit AZ as much as I can. Crash at my Uncle's place... hit the dirty Drummer with Grandpa... maybe the Brass Rail for some eggs and beer in the morning. Four Peaks Brew place in Tempe... man I love AZ.

Four Peaks is one of my favorites. Next time try an old bar called The Coachouse which always has a pin and fun place.

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from grh450:

cool,but I heard the drummer CLOSED up

The one in Scottsdale closed but The Well bar across the street has a pin. Also the dirty drummer in Phoenix off 40th st next to Cosco is open but not sure if has pin.

#44 10 years ago

I do regret selling my SB.

Great game for a single ball game. Wont be disappointed.

Colors and artwork are awesome also.

#45 10 years ago

There is a Skateball for sale on the Los Angeles craigslist site:

losangeles.craigslist.org link

#46 10 years ago
Quoted from TomC:

losangeles.craigslist.org link

Interesting.... my playfield is completely mylared while that CL one looks like it only has a mylar rectangle in the middle.

#47 10 years ago
Quoted from robbiedoo:

There's a good condition one for sale locally, but it looks like a ho-hum pin to me.
Anyone like this pin? Thoughts?
Price for a good condition one around $999 sound reasonable?

Really good game. Needs to be really gone through and fixed perfectly to enjoy. Get rid of the linear flippers on the lower flippers and it really helps the game play.

#48 10 years ago
Quoted from TomC:

I saw this and sent an offer. The playfield has a bunch of wear and I just don't think it is worth the $1100 he's asking for it. It does have a really nice backglass and some extra parts that come with it.

#49 10 years ago
Quoted from Don1:

I have wanted to take out the droning surf soundtrack and replace it with a great sounding high quality ocean surf sound. Any ideas how?

Actually that is very easy to do. Check out this thread:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/custom-sounds

I used that MP3 Trigger board and added Star Trek Theme Songs to my 1978 Bally Star Trek. And I'm working on adding random "Hits of the 70's" to my 1972 Williams Super Star!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 69.00
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Volcano Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/thoughts-on-skateball-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.