• 31 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by TheLaw
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Hey all,
Looking for some thoughts on Ripley's, specifically upkeep. I have my eyes on a good looking machine and I was wondering what were the problem spots in terms of upkeep and maintenance. Is it built like a tank? Or is it more like a problem machine like STTNG?
It would be my newest machine in my collection, and I've never owned a Stern.

#2 7 years ago

I bought one about a year ago and it was my first Stern. Its been a solid game and is one of my most played machines.

#3 7 years ago

You have quite a collection jsauce. Why is Ripley's one of your most played? I heard that getting to Atlantis is quite a challenge and that there are quite a few modes.

#4 7 years ago

The game is extremely easy to up-keep. My first RBION I had it @ work and it got hundreds of plays with no issues. Only thing to check for is broken weld mounts on the kick out scoop. Mantis sells new ones that are fantastic!

Very simple game with low maintenance required. On top of that it's a kick ass game! So go get it and enjoy

#5 7 years ago

I bought mine NIB a good 7+ years ago from the discount bargain bin and still have it today. Lets just say you can't compare STTNG upkeep to RBION (I've owned two STTNG in the past and they were both little bitches to keep running). Other than an adjustment on an opto and a dead switch on the upper playfield (which of course was the middle slot and super hard to reach), the game is very easy to maintain and has never had any big issues......and its a blast to play

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

I bought mine NIB a good 7+ years ago from the discount bargain bin and still have it today.

Where is this discount bargain bin you speak of

#7 7 years ago

One of my most played because of depth and the fact its not easy. Its just become one of my favorites and I was mainly a bally/ Williams guy only before it came along.

#8 7 years ago

How about cleaning and/or adding LEDs too.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from Acampero:

All easy compared to the other games in your line-up I don't think you will have any trouble with RBION

#10 7 years ago

How about some love for the rules? I hear that its a poor mans T-zone. Others say the rules are extremely difficult to understand.

#11 7 years ago

Rules are very good and deep, but enough for a normal non-pin player to enjoy the game. The games flow with some deep rules makes it a keeper for me. You wont be getting to Atlantis anytime soon on a 3 ball game.

#12 7 years ago

Love mine and after a year and a half STILL haven't made it to Atlantis...which keeps me from getting to Frog Frenzy...grrrrrrr. : ). No problems to speak of besides one opto adjustment/cleaning on Idol. I have a few LED's scattered about and the color changing LED mod for the scoop.(which I believe is nla). I put target covers on and some of Pinball Pals stealth protector film(again, nla)...Cliffy Protector custom cards and a few other goodies.

Check out this tutorial(and have 51 minutes to spare) and watch and learn. Spoiler alert for near end...if you don't want to see Atlantis or Frog Frenzy mode!

http://vimeo.com/35617133

#13 7 years ago

I think I'm in love with this pin

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from Acampero:

I think I'm in love with this pin

Just buy it You won't regret it

#15 7 years ago

do you really have to get to atlantis before frog frenzy? I feel like that's inaccurate for some reason.

#16 7 years ago

I got my RBION 2 months ago and have been playing it non stop. Love the deep rules, flow and I'm also a fan of Ripley's period so it's a win win .
Mine is HUO and has a full cointaker kit and the back box colored led strips, also put a sheet of PDI.. looks sick. Buy it, you won't regret it.

#17 7 years ago

I had mine for three weeks. I thought the shots were average and the call outs just ok no really great toys either the upper left playfield is just a waste of space. I had to sell it . The friend I sold it to sold in a 2 months.

#18 7 years ago

Such a great game, but the idols' squeal annoys the hell out of me.

#19 7 years ago

I think I am gonna do it. I want to go to Atlantis soooo bad!

Does the full LED kit work for this or just select LEDS? Thoughts?

#20 7 years ago

Full LEDs. Mirror blades. This game is an absolute blast! I didn't think I'd like it as much as I do. You won't regret it.

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from Acampero:

Select LED's...... mainly throw some bright LED's on the two spotlights shining on shrunken head. I like most of my games with LED's but RBION has stayed old school with the bulbs

#22 7 years ago

Bought one! In super great condition with full LED's. Will show pics once I get it.

#23 7 years ago

Congratulations and enjoy the game!

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from EvanBingham:

do you really have to get to Atlantis before frog frenzy? I feel like that's inaccurate for some reason.

No, you just have to get all the super jackpots.

#25 7 years ago

Which still keeps me from getting 'there'. ; )

#26 7 years ago
Quoted from Acampero:

Bought one! In super great condition with full LED's. Will show pics once I get it.

Remember, it is a whitestar so it absolutely needs non-ghosting LEDs or will ghost like no other.

#27 7 years ago

Thanks for the info jrivelli.

How's the build of this pin vs the newer Sterns? I have heard that they are really cutting the corners lately to make these machines as cheap as possible. Was Ripley's like that?

#28 7 years ago
Quoted from Acampero:

Quoted from Acampero:

First off, great game. Never understood the "poor mans TZ" as I can't see much of a realtionship. The rules are very easy to unserstand, start a mode, it tells you what to do.
Cleaning isn't bad, and the only issue I've had with mine is readjusting the scoop switch, which isn't a big deal.

My 2 cents, no need for LEDs in this game. I like LEDs and I tried mixing some in, and literally couldn't tell the deifference, or Bulbs looked better (sans the 3 bulbs in the back of the PF that could use more light).

I tried Mirror Blades and I neevr notice them, so a waste of money to me.

I don;t know anything aboot "newer sterns" but the build is rock solid. My most played game.

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

My most played game.

So speaks TheLaw!!!

I'm super excited. I think that this is going to fit in well with my current lineup.

#30 7 years ago

Acampero here is a thread with what I did to mine --> http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ripleys-rbion-calling-all-roller-skating-penguins#post-1114136

Congrats on a great game!

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from Acampero:

I'm super excited. I think that this is going to fit in well with my current lineup.

I actually have really long games now, but it took A LOT of playing to get there. It took me forever to get to Atlantis, and still haven't done Frog Frenzy. EDIT<----and I've had it 16 months.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
4,150 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roanoke, VA
$ 50.00
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 499.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside