(Topic ID: 294425)

Thoughts on Pinball Adventures

By Charlemagne1987

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

972503_7a2763b3ffed468482a6930c4ac757c9_mv2 (resized).jpg
    bullshit-lies.gif
    Screen Shot 2022-05-31 at 11.35.57 AM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-27 at 6.36.20 AM (resized).png
    200.gif
    Screen Shot 2021-06-17 at 10.54.59 AM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-17 at 10.55.07 AM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-17 at 10.54.39 AM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-17 at 10.54.34 AM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-17 at 10.54.28 AM (resized).png
    elementals (resized).jpg
    C8E6F566-2BA0-44D0-B41D-D2B0FC57197F.jpeg
    110B0C56-D0BD-4119-A03C-E1BE9A120EB6 (resized).jpeg
    mcbain (resized).jpg
    thats-wack-pinball-game (resized).jpg
    4F75A526-A494-4C0E-BE1B-ACFF764E6F0C (resized).png
    There are 128 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 2 years ago

Today’s TWIP has the latest teaser from Pinball Adventures. It’s for their second game called Elementals. I actually thought it looked pretty cool (though obviously very early In the planning). I thought their Puny Factory seemed kinda silly, not something I’d be interested in. I find it interesting that they’re teasing a second game without having completed their first. It reminds me of Deeproot. I’m just curious to hear what others think of this company and their intended games.

#3 2 years ago

Ok. Forgive my ignorance on this subject. I know nothing about Andrew Macbain or Pinball Adventures. I scanned through the thread you posted a link to. What I could surmise is there was a beef between him and Todd Tuckey over a pinball themed book. So is this Andrew Macbain the founder/creator of Pinball Adventures? If so, and if he’s the jerk he appears to be in the thread you linked, why is TWIP bothering to feature his company? He sounds like a con.

#4 2 years ago
    Quoted from Charlemagne1987:

Ok. Forgive my ignorance on this subject. I know nothing about Andrew Macbain or Pinball Adventures. I scanned through the thread you posted a link to. What I could surmise is there was a beef between him and Todd Tuckey over a pinball themed book. So is this Andrew Macbain the founder/creator of Pinball Adventures? If so, and if he’s the jerk he appears to be in the thread you linked, why is TWIP bothering to feature his company? He sounds like a con.

He is a well established con. He has taken the money and ran on several occasions and it baffles me how he gets any airtime at all.
    He’s a clown.
    His interactions are fantastic to witness, and it’s telling to see what happens when he has the money and suddenly he goes complete radio silence and you receive a book of terribly quality with magazine pages with duplicate entries and embarrassingly simple editing mistakes all over.

#5 2 years ago

Here's the teaser video, it's worth a watch:

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from solarvalue:

LOL HE JUST STRAIGHT UP STOLE IT ALL.
    The Denisi lock from Rick and Morty, the “crowd display” topper was invented by Gottlieb and featured on many Sys80b’s. The screen in the apron was done by several others that I can’t all recall at the moment. Looks like he is attempting to steal the brand new 360 loop invented and perfected by the Sonic Pinball guy.

Andrew had outdone himself once again. He never stops stealing and trying to ride the coattails of others in all the wrong ways. I love his unsynced bizarre wizard voiceover and his low-budget Window’s Moviemaker video.

My favorite thing about Andy is the severe narcissism. He always must be the center of attention and insists on trying to do everything himself or at least taking credit for it. I love that usually in the credits he lists himself 30 different times for all the roles instead of just simplifying it down.

Truly, my condolences to the designers having to waste their talents with him. The art looks like some decent effort went in (I suggested it to Andrew the first time to just hire freelancers, easy to find online) at least he’s actually got real artists on the job.

#7 2 years ago

The above comments don't make sense to me. Most of all pinball designs have elements from past games. Sometimes a designer just uses a element in a creative way. Ramps that return the ball to the left or right flipper have been used way too often in my opinion and no one complains about that. I love revisiting past ideas used in combination with a new layout.

#8 2 years ago

So what’s the likelihood that his games will ever make it to mass market? Sounds like he’s the type that would continuously roll out promises and videos without actually delivering anything.

#9 2 years ago

Announcing your next game before the first game is out has always gone well for every company that has done that.

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

Announcing your next game before the first game is out has always gone well for every company that has done that.

He may have already built the 3 preordered Punny Factory games.

#11 2 years ago

Junk at best, scam at worst.

#12 2 years ago

At the :52 second mark in the teaser video, they use my ramp design that I made for my home brew:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-mini-homebrew-updates-and-advice/page/4#post-6135572

#13 2 years ago

Glad there's a commitment to inclusiveness in the game...you might even say they doubled down.

The design looks interesting, but yeah the whole presentation is cringy.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from fingersport:

The above comments don't make sense to me. Most of all pinball designs have elements from past games. Sometimes a designer just uses a element in a creative way. Ramps that return the ball to the left or right flipper have been used way too often in my opinion and no one complains about that. I love revisiting past ideas used in combination with a new layout.

This is not “using elements” or “revisiting past designs” this is straight up STEALING of IP.
    Let me put it this way, if Williams was still in business, Andrew would drowning in legal bills.

Companies would borrow ideas and remake them for their own games and it fostered creativity. Andrew STOLE a ramp design by an active home-brewer.
    If I copy your homework but put my name on it is that my own work? No.

Quoted from Nokoro:

At the :52 second mark in the teaser video, they use my ramp design that I made for my home brew:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-mini-homebrew-updates-and-advice/page/4#post-6135572

If you’re gonna rehash old design elements then don’t pass them off as your own this is like Deeproot with the whole “swinging target of the 1960s” as the greatest innovation since the DMD.

#15 2 years ago

Hes a wish.com version of billy mays, known swindler, jackass, and all around jerk. PA is probably nothing more than a tax write off for him or some other way of sweeping money around. He constantly clutches his pearls when called out and is quick to attack in the most hilarious fashion possible at the slightest hint of negativity towards him. There might be some other weird stuff about him online too but the bottom line is that the guy is a clown and should be avoided. I just hope he is not using Dave Sanders as a pawn in his schemes.

#16 2 years ago

Is that Sonic ramp actually on the machine? Or just a random screenshot thrown into the video. I have to admit, the layout looks far more interesting than Mando.

#17 2 years ago

Doesn't look like there is a machine yet, just a test fixture for shot layout. Way too soon to call it a game. Perhaps in 6 months we'll see a prototype. I'm a big fan of Dave Sanders layouts and shot geometry so we'll see! I assume he's working on this one.

#18 2 years ago
    Quoted from dr_nybble:

Is that Sonic ramp actually on the machine? Or just a random screenshot thrown into the video.

Either way, it’s my ramp design, and he just grabbed a screenshot off of pinside that I posted and slapped it in the video. I don’t think of it as a “Sonic” ramp. It’s supposed to represent a dragon. And, it only works about 25% of the time. I need to tweak it to make it more consistent.

#19 2 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

Either way, it’s my ramp design, and he just grabbed a screenshot off of pinside that I posted and slapped it in the video. I don’t think of it as a “Sonic” ramp. It’s supposed to represent a dragon. And, it only works about 25% of the time. I need to tweak it to make it more consistent.

Understood -- looks like a lot of screenshots of stuff that they don't own.

#20 2 years ago
    Quoted from dr_nybble:

Understood -- looks like a lot of screenshots of stuff that they don't own.

Yep. Even the audio for the wizard who is speaking looks dubbed. Probably got the video from someplace else and added their own audio.

#21 2 years ago
    Quoted from dr_nybble:

The design looks interesting, but yeah the whole presentation is cringy.

Cringe Pinball would be a better name for the company.

Andrew’s clearly one of those guys who thinks he’s really funny & clever, but is the exact opposite - yet he can sorta kinda put things together, but it’s so unprofessional & face-palmy, you always wonder why he bothers & why no one close to him tells him what’s wrong with all of it.

#22 2 years ago

All you need to know about Pinball Adventures and Andrew MacBain is this hit piece book he’s selling trashing Todd Tuckey.

I hope Todd gets a good lawyer.
    4F75A526-A494-4C0E-BE1B-ACFF764E6F0C (resized).png4F75A526-A494-4C0E-BE1B-ACFF764E6F0C (resized).png

#23 2 years ago

Apparently doesn't know what the "auto" in autobiography means either.

#24 2 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

Yep. Even the audio for the wizard who is speaking looks dubbed. Probably got the video from someplace else and added their own audio.

Yeah, the unsynced wizard is truly bizarre.

Good luck if you are trying to lip read it!

P/F design looks interesting.

#25 2 years ago

Unauthorized Autobiography?! So does Todd have multiple personality disorder now?

Also, Andrew is a POS.

#26 2 years ago
    Quoted from solarvalue:

OMG that is just terrible. My 12 year old could do a better job. And what’s with the Japanese Godzilla movie overdubbing of the clearly stolen wizard video. And the clip art. And the bad voiceovers…. I could go on. I mean this is like a spoof video of an actual pinball product video. Maybe I have been too hard on Deeproot; there is actually a rock bottom level below where they are now. It’s apparently called Pinball Adventures.

#27 2 years ago
    Quoted from dr_nybble:

Maybe he thinks Todd wrote it in the back seat of his car while on a trip. And then left it by the side of the road or at one of the car camping sites he was staying at on his road trip for Andrew to stumble upon and publish. Thank you everyone for telling me everything I need to know to avoid this company with a 10 foot pole. Why does pinball attract so many bad actors here ?

#28 2 years ago
    Quoted from solarvalue:

Mark the date folks:

I have no words.

#29 2 years ago

Looks dope. Only recommendation is change elements to elephants

#30 2 years ago

This has got to be troll job. The video being out of sync or dubbed over. "Borrowed" ideas from other games.

#31 2 years ago
    Quoted from dr_nybble:

It's in keeping with all of the typos on the pinballbuzz website.

Only thing worse than a mean spirited egomaniac is one that thinks he's smarter than everyone else in the room but clearly isn't.

#32 2 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

It's in keeping with all of the typos on the pinballbuzz website.
    Only thing worse than a mean spirited egomaniac is one that thinks he's smarter than everyone else in the room but clearly isn't.

To be fair (?), this could be "satirical" hit piece written in the first person as if by Todd.

It could also just be mistake that you'd expect a fifth grader to catch

#33 2 years ago

It would be an interesting game idea if they can pull it off. Revealing your idea instead of an actual finished product is just dumb though. It doesn’t make anyone to you seriously.

#34 2 years ago
    Quoted from Charlemagne1987:

If so, and if he’s the jerk he appears to be in the thread you linked, why is TWIP bothering to feature his company?

Clicks on the TWIP website.

#35 2 years ago

When you look at the webpaige, the resellers paige with the phonenumbers doesn't make sense. Also when you browse through the paige this andrew shows more games. The whole homepage looks like fake.

#36 2 years ago

Hahaha, so they haven't finished puny factory? Oh my god.. Why would they announce a new game then. That really doesn't make sense.

#37 2 years ago

Does this mean Zombie Sushi is on the backburner?!

#38 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:Does this mean Zombie Sushi is on the backburner?!

Yeah is that the real game number 2 and this is game #3? Nothing about this guy makes any sense.

#39 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Does this mean Zombie Sushi is on the backburner?!

Hihi, i really think this most of the games he shows are just photoshopped, they do not exist yet..

#40 2 years ago
    Quoted from BillySastard:

Clicks on the TWIP website.

Year that is weird. Maybe he is just very offensive with advertising his pin

#41 2 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

All you need to know about Pinball Adventures and Andrew MacBain is this hit piece book he’s selling trashing Todd Tuckey.
    [quoted image]

Andrew wants to destroy me!

#42 2 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

[quoted image]

WHAT THE F_________________ ????!!!!

I had to go to the website because I thought someone was trolling, and there it was.

#43 2 years ago

LMAO at "unauthorized autobiography."

#44 2 years ago
    Quoted from toddtuckey:

Apparently so. Dude seems to be obsessed with you.

Thankfully, this "battle" is between someone who is a pinball icon who has been in the business for decades and has thousands of fans vs the latest (alleged) con man who has slithered into the hobby and has done nothing but brought negative energy.

#45 2 years ago

I kept my crappy Pinball Adventures book as a reminder of the mistakes I've made. He will never ever get another cent from me.

#46 2 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

WHAT THE F_________________ ????!!!!
    I had to go to the website because I thought someone was trolling, and there it was.

I wish I was trolling and it wasn't real. I heard about it on "The Pinball Show" and couldn't believe it.

The pettiness of MacBain has reached a new depth.

I've been in the hobby for decades and can't recall a more mean spirited person.

Even if Pinball Adventures sold one of my grail themes like the Grateful Dead, it would be an immediate hard pass.

#47 2 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

I wish I was trolling and it wasn't real. I heard about it on "The Pinball Show" and couldn't believe it.
    The pettiness of MacBain has reached a new depth.
    I've been in the hobby for decades and can't recall a more mean spirited person.

thats-wack-pinball-game (resized).jpgthats-wack-pinball-game (resized).jpg

#48 2 years ago

I believe this first machine is a tribute to what this guy is doing. He's operating a "punny factory" There's nothing that seems remotely real about this other than a single home brew machine. Look at the distributor list...They're named after the 3 stooges. Several of the "team member" images appear to be lifted from the internet. ACME packaging??? For real??
    Your shipping dept is a pimped out pick up, ummm no.
    He wants attention and we're all giving it to him.

#49 2 years ago
    Quoted from GLSP3022:

There's nothing real about this other than a single home brew machine.

If that is true it sounds really exclusive and limited. Big time FOMO factor! Where do I send the money?

#50 2 years ago
    Quoted from toddtuckey:

Todd, take him out via Green Screen in one of your upcoming videos.

There are 128 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/thoughts-on-pinball-adventures- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.