(Topic ID: 136125)

Thoughts on pin valuations.

By glasairpilot

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Are Valuations for Top 20 Pins too high?”

• Prices are too high and will go down 19 votes
      45%
    • Prices are about where they should be 16 votes
      38%
    • Prices will drop 7 votes
      17%

(42 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

#1 8 years ago

I remember when the Euro and other currencies were strong and sold some of my pins overseas for a decent price. Then, in 2008-2011 the prices came back down due to our economy here I suppose. Now we have an overheated stock market along with weak worldwide currencies and it appears to me that prices for good pins that are rated in the top twenty are as strong as they have ever been.

Knowing this, is it a good time to unload the desirable Williams machines anticipating a market correction?
    Also, considering that the new MMR is as nice, if not better, than the original would it even be a better reason to sell knowing that they could easily remake TOTAN, CV, and other popular non-licensed themes? Having ordered a MMR LE myself I feel that the popular machines that need no licensing are targets for remake. With Cirqus Voltaire now bringing $5k for a rough unit and upwards to $8-9k for a pristine unit a new one with modern electronics for $8k makes sense.

LOL - JUST NOTICED - I did not give the option for prices to go up. Please use the last option for that.

Also, Stern machines outside of the Top 100 are doing rather well. I remember buying a NIB Monopoly for $3300 back in 2003. I sold it a year later for about the same price. Really nice HUO machines were maybe low $2k just a few years back. I have seen quite a few sales near $4k lately for this machine.

What say you?

#2 8 years ago

If you are worried about money, pinball is the wrong hobby for you.

#3 8 years ago

Ha...4K for a Monopoly

#4 8 years ago

Some up, some down. Poll has no option for prices going up. Depending on the time frame involved, some will definitely go up someday as well as continued price increases on nib games.

#5 8 years ago

If the market is due for a correction, make your money there. Pin price fluctuations are tiny compared to what you can get out of Wall St.

#6 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

If you are worried about money, pinball is the wrong hobby for you.

Thanks, not worried about the money from a "worried" standpoint as pinball is probably my least expensive hobby, but I do like to get a good value. Again, with the ability to remake the popular titles with less complicated electronics it would seem to me that the prices are topped on these machines. Look at what nice original MM machines are now as compared to two years ago. On the other hand, look at CV as compared to two years ago.

#7 8 years ago

The market is too high on all pins I want to buy.

The market is too low on any pin I want to sell.

#8 8 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Ha...4K for a Monopoly

I know, but look at what they are asking for them here and on eBay. My friend just sold one for $4k that was HUO and very nice.

I like themes that I can have in my home that everyone can enjoy. Stern's recent releases of AC/DC, Metallica, Kiss, etc have no place for me as I liked those groups about 20-30 years ago and no longer listen to their music, so the game does not appeal to me. Games like Monopoly are somewhat timeless and "ok" with anyone even if it is not a favorite. Same goes for TZ, TOTAN, AFM, CV, and the like. They are not offensive to anyone and are the highest ranked games out there.

#9 8 years ago

Pinball is an expensive hobby. I think the prices have pretty much leveled out. Seems in recent years the A titles have come down a bit whereas the B and C titles have gradually floated up. Things seem pretty stable at the moment. I do chuckle everytime I see a post about a nib stern pro for 5k and people acting like that's a good deal. To me, that's a total ripoff and I love pinball. I can't imagine the market sustaining any more price increases from Stern. I know I've watched the number of NIB purchases from those around me dwindle to near zero.

#10 8 years ago

The prices are high because there are too many suckers out there willing to overpay to get games. And some dummies will overpay by literally thousands of dollars.

#11 8 years ago
    Quoted from glasairpilot:

LOL - JUST NOTICED - I did not give the option for prices to go up. Please use the last option for that.

quoted just in case anyone wanted to put any stock whatsoever in the poll responses.

#12 8 years ago
    Quoted from Squeakman:

The prices are high because there are too many suckers out there willing to overpay to get games. And some dummies will overpay by literally thousands of dollars.

Some people just have more money and are willing to pay those prices for what they want. I wouldn't say they're dummies.

#13 8 years ago

also sorry for being negative, but did we really need new thread #1,947 on this topic?

#14 8 years ago

I know, but look at what they are asking for them here and on eBay. My friend just sold one for $4k that was HUO and very nice.

I listed mine for sale and didn't get any offers higher than $2,400 for it. Also I paid $2,700 for it so yeah, ended up having to take a loss. Not sure where he's selling to be getting $4,000, but I'd feel bad selling it for that much because I'd feel like I'm ripping someone off.

#15 8 years ago

People have been predicting a crash in pin prices for 15 years and it's never happened. Go to RGP and look at hilarious posts of people claiming they'll NEVER pay $3,000 for an MM.

Take that for what you will. I don't have a problem with people "pinvesting" - speculating on current and future value. You'd almost be dumb not to. But so far, everyone predicting a collapse has been wrong, wrong, wrong.

Quoted from pezpunk:

also sorry for being negative, but did we really need new thread #1,947 on this topic?

Pinheads are fascinated with this part of the hobby - they always have and they always will be. So #1,948 is right around the corner.

#16 8 years ago

You guys are always trying to "get more people into pinball".

The more people in, the higher in general prices will go.

Now the stuff that is under threat of being reproduced, those prices will probably continue to decline. BBB, MB, CC.......

#17 8 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

Pinball is an expensive hobby. I think the prices have pretty much leveled out. Seems in recent years the A titles have come down a bit whereas the B and C titles have gradually floated up. Things seem pretty stable at the moment. I do chuckle everytime I see a post about a nib stern pro for 5k and people acting like that's a good deal. To me, that's a total ripoff and I love pinball. I can't imagine the market sustaining any more price increases from Stern. I know I've watched the number of NIB purchases from those around me dwindle to near zero.

I really don't see it as an expensive hobby compared to other things. In fact, it might be cheaper than most when you consider that the machines tend to hold value. A nice new ski boat can cost $100k and uses a lot of gas, insurance, storage, etc. Horses are crazy expensive to maintain, High end watches can literally be $100K each +, and I won't even get into aviation.

As far as new machines at $5k being a ripoff? I don't know? Stern is the only real pinball producer in the country and $5k is pretty inexpensive as compared to a 20-year old Bally for $7k or so. There seems to be a lot of newer Stern machines out there to me. I'm not a real fan of the Stern machines myself, but they don't seem overpriced to me. I would love to se Chicago Gaming remake all of the classics and develop some new models as well. I really liked my TZ and others from that era. I would buy a new CV today.

#18 8 years ago

Market is hot. Always a good time to sell.
    Prices are up, as you have seen.
    It's obvious even to neophytes.
    It's not rocket surgery : )

#19 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

You guys are always trying to "get more people into pinball".

We need to get more girls into pinball.

#20 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

At least some hot chicks.

#21 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

i agree. and women too.

#22 8 years ago

Then the value goes up!

#23 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Then the value goes up!

That's true.

Girls and hot chicks don't have $6,500 to buy pinball machines, but women....look out!

#24 8 years ago

LOL, I see what you all like more than pinball.

#25 8 years ago

LOL, I see what you all like more than pinball.

It's a running joke from the "there are good women in pinball" thread, where Pinball Molly started some great drama.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/there-are-good-women-in-pinball

#26 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

It's a running joke from the "there are good women in pinball" thread, where Pinball Molly started some great drama.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/there-are-good-women-in-pinball

Ah, got it! I just read her post. I have to agree with her a bit. Guys with planes do the same thing. They show a picture of some knockout woman sprawled over an airplane. I then see pictures of their wife or girlfriend later and they are nothing like the woman pictured. I guess I never got into the trophy woman/fantasy thing.

#27 8 years ago

I guess I never got into the trophy woman/fantasy thing.

Well being I was a trophy man/real thing, I did.

LTG : )™

#28 8 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Well being I was a trophy man/real thing, I did.
    LTG : )™

You lost me there.

#29 8 years ago

It seems to me some machine values are flat, they are around the same cost they were 12 years ago when I purchased my one and only machine, yet other machines have sky rocketed in price. I suppose supply and demand has created some of this but certain titles are ridiculously over priced. If you are referring to eBay prices sellers think anything with flippers is automatically worth 4k and if it's a top 20 pin then they go to 8-10k. I bet there are plenty of people willing to pay those prices...

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/thoughts-on-pin-valuations and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.