(Topic ID: 281137)

Thoughts on PayPal with an authorized distributor?

By Broohaha

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by nicoy3k
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

I've read Vid's excellent post on how to NOT get scammed, which primarily is focused on private seller.

However, I am looking at buying a NIB stern machine and I'm finding some distributors will discount slightly for non-credit card transactions. PayPal Friends/Family is appealing due to speed, but there's certainly some risk here.

I'm not going to mention names here, but they are authorized stern distributors.

Anyone does this type of transaction with a 'quality' distributor? Or any thoughts in general?

#2 1 year ago

If you/the seller screw PayPal out of their cut by using F&F, stand by to get zinged--and deservedly so. You probably will not have an issue, but why take that chance? No one likes PayPal, but they have been cracking down harder lately.

#3 1 year ago
    Quoted from Broohaha:

I've read Vid's excellent post on how to NOT get scammed, which primarily is focused on private seller.
    However, I am looking at buying a NIB stern machine and I'm finding some distributors will discount slightly for non-credit card transactions. PayPal Friends/Family is appealing due to speed, but there's certainly some risk here.
    I'm not going to mention names here, but they are authorized stern distributors.
    Anyone does this type of transaction with a 'quality' distributor? Or any thoughts in general?

Before I answer....
    How much are you saving to pay Friends and Family?
    They charge a fee for that style transaction.
    Plus, you lose the backing like a credit card.

#4 1 year ago

You're making a purchase--it's not a good idea do use the "friends & family" option. If something goes wrong, you have no recourse. You should use the standard goods & services option. In any case, I've heard of a small handful of businesses get their paypal accounts shut down because they were taking too many "friends & family" transactions through their business account, when they should have been taking "goods & services" transactions.

#5 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

... I've heard of a small handful of businesses get their paypal accounts shut down because they were taking too many "friends & family" transactions through their business account, when they should have been taking "goods & services" transactions.

This is where my head was at: I would think there's some risk on their end as well.

Ericpinballfan - Varies: $200-300 - Not a game changer once you consider total cost (and the potential risk).

Billy16 - fair point.

I suppose "Wiring" funds has similar con, of not having much of recourse in case of issues.

Thanks for everyone's input on this.

#6 1 year ago

Do you trust paying cash? It’s the same thing.

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

Do you trust paying cash? It’s the same thing.

I trust paying cash on the glass, but I see your point.

#8 1 year ago

Any business willing to screw a vendor to save a few dollars will also screw a customer to save a few dollars.

Avoid scammers that are willing to screw people.

#9 1 year ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Any business willing to screw a vendor to save a few dollars will also screw a customer to save a few dollars.
    Avoid scammers that are willing to screw people.

The only person saving money in this scenario is the customer.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside