(Topic ID: 167386)

Thoughts on Mylar?

By Rdoyle1978

7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

I know this has been asked a million times, but I'm torn on what I should do.

I keep my playfields in pretty damn good condition, and really like them to look nice. My TAF had been mylared and I chose to remove it as it made the playfield just pop in a way it had never done before. Now I am faced with that same decision on my Creature, as the mylar is just cloudy as hell. I originally had planned to leave it because I thought it was original - until I noticed scoop damage around the Snackbar, and took a closer look - yep it was applied WELL after the fact.

I know mylar was not necessarily factory-applied, and I know these are clearcoated playfields, but I've been reading Vid's guide (he basically advises not to remove, if I am not mistaken) and now I'm not sure what to do. My TZ also has mylar and it doesn't look bad at all so I've left it.

So I know it's there to protect the playfield, and this game doesn't get as many plays as when it was routed - so I'm just curious about the general thoughts from the peanut gallery.

Many thanks!

#2 7 years ago

I think Vid is right on this one. The risk/reward evaluation... Could you handle if it pulled up a bunch of paint? I couldn't.

That being said, I am VERY glad my Rollergames previous owner successfully removed the Mylar It's so much faster without it. My old RG had Mylar and the difference is night and day. Only a small bit of black paint on the outside of some inserts came off, and I can live with that. Not even going to touch it up, just wax wax wax and enjoy.

#3 7 years ago

The only games of mine that have mylar are System 11 games, and one Gottlieb System 3. Since games of that era have notoriously awful lacquer finishes, I've opted to leave the mylar on the game--as I have no intentions of clearing them any time soon. Therefore, I kinda fall into the camp "leave it alone, unless there's major issues with the mylar."

You always risk damaging paint or inserts when removing mylar. To me, it's not worth the risk.

#4 7 years ago

Thanks for the responses - all 3 of my playfields are Diamond Plate (clear coated) so I have a significantly lower risk of pulling up paint - but your point stands.

#6 7 years ago

Removing Mylar is a piece of cake if you do it with freeze spray. The freeze spray is so cold that when you pull up the Mylar, it leaves the glue on the playfield so you can't pull off any paint or decals. Then use rubbing alcohol to remove the glue. I did a FH this way and didn't loose a single thing off the playfield. Once that old Mylar is off the PF looks awesome.

#7 7 years ago

Keep it on or take it off and re apply. I love Mylar.

#8 7 years ago

It always depends on how lazy I am being. In a home setting playfields should hold up fine without the Mylar. I have used the freeze spray method mentioned above on many occasions. The era of game does matter. It comes off the newer clear coated fields much easier. The system 11s are a bit more of a pain to get the glue off of.

#9 7 years ago

I'm really close to just taking it off. It came off my TAF easily, and I'm not that concerned with wear since these are all clear coated. One more weekend project, I suppose!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 14.95
$ 28.99
Playfield - Protection
Lee's Parts

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 140.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 9.95
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

9,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
$ 12.95
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/thoughts-on-mylar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.