• Latest reply 8 years ago by vid1900
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PATZ 015.JPG
you-mad-bro-.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dannunz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#26 8 years ago
Quoted from eabundy:

I've never seen anyone intentionally try to beat up a machine. However they do take a beating as decent titles tend to develop a line of people waiting to play them throughout the day. My Baywatch was freshly waxed in the AM and had black haze over the playfield in a few hours. I bring all the machines I have ready to go and spend a great deal of time getting them playing well before the show. It pains me to read complaints about quality of games at the show, especially when the folks complaining have never taken their own machine to know what work that entails. I would like to see people that have issues with the games bring just one machine. You can then experience the ups and downs of being a part of the show.
My suggestion for the show would be to have a roaming tech at the show paid for by the promoters to keep the machines running. I had to remove my Striker Extreme from Allentown because it blew a 540 transistor and I forgot to bring my spares. Not one vendor had them there. If a machine fails the owner just pays the cost of the needed parts. Tech then checks the machine over for any other issues and green lights it for more action.

This is what we are doing at Pintastic New England. We have Lloyd Olson....Allan Davidson and partner....dr. Dave and you of course all available for repairing anything that needs it. Allan will have host total station ready for board repairs on site.

#69 8 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Personally I always go through my machines before they go to a show and try to make them 100% dialed in. I wish other would do the same. There are always games at shows that are really rough or break down the whole weekend. Here are some of my show opinions:
- I like shows to be in a hotel, so I can go up to my room whenever I want to relax or take a dump in a decent bathroom. Also, big hotels generally have good food and bars on the property.
- People should tone down the LEDs especially in GI or in backboxes. You might like them but they render the game unplayable
- Lighting in the venue is important. Lots of tubes overhead reflecting in the glass is not good.
- Sound setting on the games should be set as a standard. I go to shows where there are some games that are up so loud you can hear them across the room and other games you can not hear at all. Turn that crap down!
- Read the new IFPA rules if you are having a tournament and take measures to maximize points while minimizing lines. (hint: more games in the lineup)
- Closed circuit and possibly streaming video coverage of the tournament along with live scoreboard to raise interest in watching the tournament.
- Finish the show early on Sunday. No later than 4pm to allow the people who brought games to GTFO at a decent hour.
- Speaking of hours, start late on Friday to allow load in. Run to 1am on Friday and Saturday.
- No "VIP After Hours Party". Kicking people out early on Saturday night is stupid.
- Never mix video games and pins every other game. Always have video game rows and pin rows.
- Show Tee shirt should have a small logo on the front and large on the back. This is the standard so follow it even if the shirts are a little more $.
- Have techs on call with tools for the entire show.
- Games that are truly dead should be removed.
- Support Project Pinball
- Having pinball vendors is cool. People selling jewelry is not.
- Even shows that are "strictly pinball" should include a handful of classic video games.
- Every show should raffle off at least one game live.
- Carpeted floor is really nice. Keeps the noise down and is comfortable to walk on.
- Nice weather for people bringing games or traveling from out of town. Don't have a show in August in Florida or January in Minnesota.
- A decent PA system and/or a live message board to keep people informed of speakers or special events upcoming.
That is enough for now. I have to go mow the lawn.

Wow we at Pintastic New England must be doing something correct! Each of you points is exactly what we are doing!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts
Electronics
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
£ 60.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys
Other
$ 4.95
Hardware
ULEKstore
Hardware

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dannunz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/thoughts-on-making-pin-shows-better?tu=dannunz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.