(110 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

img-thing.jpeg
Unknown.jpeg
374832-i.jpg
303.jpg
woz sieben.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider alichino.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#102 9 years ago
Quoted from RudyGranaghan:

Alright Pinsiders, I need some motivation.
I'm going to be brutally honest- I am not impressed with Jersey Jack's WOZ. My dad purchased the 75th Anniversary Edition shortly after it was first announced- it was delivered in November and so far I just can't get into it.
We have five machines in our back house/"man cave" and I am pretty good at rotating through three of them pretty regularly (TAF, TZ, and NGG). Our first machine was The Simpson's Pinball Party- I eventually moved on from that one after playing it so much.
Here are my main thoughts:
-The game is just too slow. It seems like it takes forever to get anything started.
-I have never finished a game (even a good one for that matter) and thought to myself- "Man, that was thrilling!".
-You have to hit the rollover targets to light the locks- is there really much skill in that? Most of the time I get a couple locks from just playing a ball and have to try and hit the last one, but it's not as fun when there really isn't a "shot" you have to make to light the locks.
-The game is just hard. Period. I'm all for hard pinball play, but I feel like I have no control over the ball- especially when it's going towards the left outlane.
Anyone else feel the same way? I would really love to get into WOZ more, but since we got the machine I just haven't seemed to be able to get into it. And I would say I've definitely given it some good play.

My two cents: The game plays 'accidentally' by design. What I mean is that you've got a dozen different goals to shoot for at all times; if you had to purposefully light each lock, play ECMB, light each lock again, play ECMB, light each lock again, now finally complete ECMB to earn the jewel, SOTM wouldn't be a viable wizard mode. If you light a character by going after wicked witch hurry ups and rescue multiball, now you're also making progress towards ECMB and the ultimate wizard mode.

In that regard, it's much different than a 'light the mode, play the mode' kind of game. You've got to understand what you've completed, what you need to complete, etc. at all times. It's definitely Keefer's best rule sheet to date.

Try shooting for wicked witch hurry ups or Rescue multiball or haunted modes. ECMB is the 'main' multiball, but you're not supposed to shoot for it in most_ situations, which is really what makes it so much different (love it or hate it) than most games. You take what the game gives you to try and make progress towards whatever goals make sense at the moment with all the risk and reward that comes with it. Sometimes that means shooting for a rollover, but most of the time it doesn't.

Here's an example from a game the other day: I had Haunted mb lit, three letters on rainbow to complete for Munchkin mb, BALL lit, and, like, five rollovers for ECMB. You can choose to cash in haunted mb and double scoring for a quick 100,000 and hope you get to ECMB. I chose to complete rainbow to start munchkin mb then shoot for double scoring right away while an autoplunge ball started Haunted mb. Through that ridiculousness, it lit the last character and I started ECMB. Shooting just for rainbow on ball 3 is a huuuuge risk, but it wound up netting me an extra 400,000. This is one of the best risk-reward games out there.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.50
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 9,800.00
Pinball Machine
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider alichino.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/thoughts-on-jjs-woz?tu=alichino and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.