Topic poll

“WOZ Pinball, worth the $$$?”

• Yes 64 votes
    58%
  • No 46 votes
    42%

(110 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

img-thing.jpeg
Unknown.jpeg
374832-i.jpg
303.jpg
woz sieben.jpg

There are 103 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 4 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I just love how Pinsiders like to state their opinions like they're facts.

Woz is the reason for people stating their opinion as fact because they protect the value of a boring ugly game !

#52 4 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

Woz is the reason for people stating their opinion as fact because they protect the value of a boring ugly game !

#53 4 years ago
Quoted from reynolds531:

Is it me or is this thread getting a little on the hot side? If I have to stop this car......
My three cents:

Wow, even the costs of opinions have gone up. (back in my day you only gave two cents worth dag nabit!)

4 cents by Christmas?

#54 4 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

I thought that was reserved for AC/DC pro.

#55 4 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

7 vs 20.

#56 4 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

I'll give you ugly, but I'm not sure about boring.

Don't pay any attention to McCune. He just never learned how to stack multiballs on WOZ.

(But I'm looking forward to meeting him so he can call me an idiot in person - he seems like he's a pretty nice guy, even though we vehemently disagree...)

#57 4 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I'll give you ugly, but I'm not sure about boring.
Don't pay any attention to McCune. He just never learned how to stack multiballs on WOZ.
(But I'm looking forward to meeting him so he can call me an idiot in person - he seems like he's a pretty nice guy, even though we vehemently disagree...)

I don't think it's boring, but, for me, the music is brutal.

I've spent quite a few bucks on the Pro at Jenkinsons in Pt Pleasant.

#58 4 years ago

WOZ. Have it. Love it. No regrets.

#59 4 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

earnings really don't mean anything. CV and TZ did HORRIBLE on route. Horrible. And both are some of the best games ever made.

Guys, if you're going to bash, at least get apples to apples. Why are you even comparing games like TZ and CV that earned poorly? TZ is complicated for location. CV is kinda dull, and was a mechanical basket case when released. The point here is that WOZ earns extremely well, so compare it to other games that earn extremely well, like MM, TAF and AFM. If you're going to try comparing WOZ to something in a negative light, it should be a game like Kiss that earned well but wasn't that good. Really though, while there are plenty of sleepers for various reasons, there are very few un-fun pinballs that earn really well.

BTW, CV isn't very good. 3 shot game (ramp, left orbit and RM). With a few exceptions, there's no reason to aim at either end of the inner loop, or the acrobats, or the menagerie. Beautiful to look at and has some cool effects, but a mediocre table play-wise.

#60 4 years ago

I have never understood why a person that doesn't like the WOZ game and expresses it here, is shouted down. It reminds me of RGP a few years ago. It's just a game. Take it or leave it.

#61 4 years ago

Aren't there scores of these threads already? If the op is truly asking, as opposed to just starting another one of these, I suggest play it for yourself and decide. Sounds like you don't like the machine, just by the inquiry.

I like the TZ analogy ( and the pin itself)...WOZ certainly brings out the best and worst in people, opinion wise ...whatever.

Me? Anything I like is worth the price I'm going to pay for it.

WOZ is an amazing pin for ME...worth every penny

TRONLE is an amazing pin for ME...worth every penny

AC/DC is a title that doesn't interest me....so no price is a good price, as this is just my hobby

Hoping ALIENLE is an amazing pin...a title that interests me a lot

etc., etc., etc.

and just wonder if a poll on this is really going to sway the op....doubt it....mark

( sorry, I've said "me" way too much)

#62 4 years ago

I don't have to compare other games to know that woz is not a fun game.

#63 4 years ago

WOZ is like a Ferrari with the valet key. Looks awesome at first but not really fun as it should be.

#64 4 years ago

Ok everyone, I have someone local that wants to trade his woz standard for my williams Ij both pins look like Huo. Good deal or not? I know you don't find an Ij like mine everyday but I've had it forever and really hate to see it go but I don't play it much anymore. Post your thoughts, good or bad. Ed

#65 4 years ago

Not every machine is going to be liked by everybody. You know what they say about opinions.......

#66 4 years ago

Love WOZ pin..Still do. Timeless theme..Girls love it..well most of them.
It's to complicated a ruleset for my better half. She'd rather hammer multiballs on Lost In Space.

#67 4 years ago
Quoted from Fast-Ed:

Ok everyone, I have someone local that wants to trade his woz standard for my williams Ij both pins look like Huo. Good deal or not? I know you don't find an Ij like mine everyday but I've had it forever and really hate to see it go but I don't play it much anymore. Post your thoughts, good or bad. Ed

I think variety is nice. Rather than, which is better, think that you will get to own both. It just won't be at the same time.

#68 4 years ago

By far the best game ever. If you don't have one get one.

#69 4 years ago

I was on the fence for a year or two. I did keep finding myself wanting to play it on location or at show though. After playing time and time again, I bought one. It's a keeper for me.

#70 4 years ago
Quoted from Fast-Ed:

I have a WOZLE and an IJ: I would keep the IJ over the WOZ. That said, have you had a chance to play the WOZ? Does it it grab you? Despite the film motif for both pins, they are very, very different in their play. IJ has a straight forward ruleset of modes and shots. WOZ, not so much. Try to play a WOZ as much as you can prior to making this decision.

#71 4 years ago
Quoted from Ronnie1114:

HA! 2 A list games?? More like not even one, a MM, MB, or AFM will cost you more than a WOZ...

Well I don't know what the US market is like, but here in Australia I could get an Addams Family and an Indiana Jones for the price of a WOZ. I'd call both of them A list...

Quoted from TxJay:

My wife absolutely loves the theme of this pin and is the reason I bought it. Now if I was to ask her what she thought about the LOTR she would say she didn't like the theme but she wouldn't be so arrogant as to say that it's not a theme that "people actually give a shit about".

Maybe I should have been more specific. The majority of pinball players/owners are male. Most males don't give a shit about The Wizard of Oz. This is fine if the theme is in the background and you can ignore it and focus on scoring points. But in WOZ you can't do that because the game emphasises playing through the story (like LOTR, except the story in LOTR does appeal primarily to men).

Quoted from TxJay:

It sounds like you are more butthurt for what the game sells for.

Butthurt? No, I simply stated that it makes zero sense that WOZ would cost as much as TWO top level games- the same reason I wouldn't consider purchasing MM or AFM. Why buy one game when you could get two that are just as good, if not better, for the same price?

#72 4 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

earnings really don't mean anything. CV and TZ did HORRIBLE on route. Horrible. And both are some of the best games ever made.

Possibly because they required more maintenance than other pins.

The TZs around me got a lot of play when TZ first came out. A year or two later, it was hard to find one that was playable. There's so many things that can break on that game. STTNGs seemed to suffer from this as well. Along with TS, BSD, etc.

The only CV that was local to me did not work properly when it was new. The RM did seat flush with the playfield making it impossible to hit the wow stand ups. I did not see many CVs on location in the 90s. The only pins that I recall getting lots of play around the CV era were MM and MB.

I have had TZ on location for years, and it earns as well as almost any of the pins that I have.

#73 4 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

i am actually considering selling my Monster Bash because i have beaten it and it no longer holds my interests.

I did sell my MB along with METLE. Neither are nearly as much fun or challenging as WOZLE.

Most people who don't like WOZ haven't taken the time to learn the rules, give the manly "I don't like the theme" answer or have something against Jack. Thier loss. They're missing one of the best pinball experiences ever produced.

#74 4 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

I have never understood why a person that doesn't like the WOZ game and expresses it here, is shouted down. It reminds me of RGP a few years ago. It's just a game. Take it or leave it.

Isn't the opposite true too?

#75 4 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

The point here is that WOZ earns extremely well,

Their argument is simply - earning extremely well does not equal extremely good game and vice versa.
And I endorse that comment that well. Got a TZ at home on loan for 6 months - great game that has a slow learning curve.

#76 4 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Do all dealers charge the same price for WOZ? I see one dealer on another thread selling the RR for $9,000 and the shaker and invisiglass for an additional fee.

No I am a factory dealer. The shaker motor comes free on the 9k price the Invisiglass is extra. Send me a PM and your location as I have some in stock.

Thanks
Buddy

#77 4 years ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

4 cents by Christmas?

Xmas in advance: my $0.04 on WoZ:

Great game with a few oversensitive owners produced by a company for which I have limited trust.

But I am not judging its owners or JJP (really too many failed deadlines and broken promises for my taste - a comment you may find ironic when coming from a Predator "owner").

WoZ is a fantastic game despite its theme (WoZ has zero appeal here - no one ever cared for the movie). Not a game everyone enjoys - clearly one that would complement nicely a fast and furious game such as AC/DC.

#78 4 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

CV isn't very good. 3 shot game (ramp, left orbit and RM). With a few exceptions, there's no reason to aim at either end of the inner loop, or the acrobats, or the menagerie. Beautiful to look at and has some cool effects, but a mediocre table play-wise.

BOO BOO

#79 4 years ago
#80 4 years ago
Quoted from Fast-Ed:

If you are asking is it a good dollar to dollar trade it is a fair trade

#81 4 years ago

I like it a lot but have it in a 11 game collection and I got a great deal on a NIB w/shaker and invisiglass. I can see how in a smaller collection it could be grating...some days I am just not in the mood for it. So I guess to answer the OPs original question, I think its worth it in a med to large collection if you get it for the right $...NOT LIST!!

#82 4 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

WOZ is like a Ferrari with the valet key. Looks awesome at first but not really fun as it should be.

isn't the Valet key the ONLY key you need to Ferris Bueller the hell out of that Ferrari?

#83 4 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

isn't the Valet key the ONLY key you need to Ferris Bueller the hell out of that Ferrari?

From what he is saying, I'm guessing the valet key limits your speed, might not break 25mph with that key in it.

#84 4 years ago

didn't know keys could do that. I'm guessing we are not talking about Magnum P.I.'s ferrari.

#85 4 years ago

Probably not lol

#86 4 years ago

Valet key is what you give to the valet when he parks your car. Lots of high-end cars have them. And yes, it limits your top speed to around 20 depending on the car. Just enough to park and not enough to get in trouble (or have any fun).

#87 4 years ago

Well worth the money and I think it's one of the best pins ever....period.

#89 4 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

No wonder my mini van has a valet key.

I'm not sure they make a "drivers key" for that, it's valet speed all the way lol

#90 4 years ago

that's why every key is a valet key. Actually, I had my van over 100 just the other day. Wanted to see if it got shaky at 100. Actually was surprisingly stable.

#91 4 years ago

A mini van will cruise pretty smooth. I have a Honda Pilot, I'm not sure it will even go 100. That damn thing can't get out of its own way..

#92 4 years ago

If you can afford it, of course it is worth the money. When you compare the theme and fun factor to other games I think it falls a little short. That being said, I do hope to own it one day, just like I hope to own every machine at least once before I die.

#93 4 years ago

I know not everyone thinks the theme is great although I'll admit for years now a lot of Stern's themes has been very meh to me. This theme is at least family friendly and based on a movie that has lasted that many people still enjoy it decades after its release and watch it with their kids.
However, regardless of theme, gameplay is where it's at to me overall. Personally I love the gameplay of WOZ including Munchkin Land mode, melting the witch, getting multiball going especially the very few times I've got both multiball modes going at the same time, and so much much more. The game has depth, stacking of modes, and some good humor and in several ways is my favorite pin right now. No pin can have everything and variety is fun, so I'm glad to own 3 others pins. But this is the one that I would least want to sell even over what was once my grail pin, MM, which I had to sell 3 pins to afford.

#94 4 years ago
Quoted from reynolds531:

Is it me or is this thread getting a little on the hot side? If I have to stop this car......
My three cents: I am a WOZ owner. My daughter absolutely loves the game and makes trips to see dear old dad so that she can get her WOZ fix. Her previous favourite game was Theatre of Magic and WOZ has totally taken over. Me, you ask? I keep trying to like it. Part of the problem was that it took from mid November to early March to finally get the game to work properly. Three monkey magnet switches, a monkey magnet, a monkey solenoid, a lock board and LED board later, it was finally working by early this month. That was a lot of return postage. For a NIB game, this is frustrating and has clearly coloured my view. I kept asking myself why did I buy this machine every time had had to lift the playfield to work on it. I suspect that I need to put more mileage on the odometer before I decide yea or nay.

Wow. Sorry about the struggle to get it working...I assume you bought it NIB? I've had issues with my NIB Sterns, but nothing like that.

#95 4 years ago

I really need to play this game, anybody in Baltimore have one and want to invite me over?

#96 4 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Wow. Sorry about the struggle to get it working...I assume you bought it NIB? I've had issues with my NIB Sterns, but nothing like that.

Yes, NIB. I ordered it in August 2011 and got delivery in September 2015. It sat in my garage until Thanksgiving. I have a NIB LOTR LE that has not given me any problems at all. No waiting for the LOTR: I just ordered it and had it shipped.

#97 4 years ago

WoZ is a good pin, not my favorite but still fun to play especially if you know the rules and can get to wicked witch and some of the other later modes. Some of our friends really like it, I mostly play the classics I own

1 week later
#98 4 years ago
Quoted from reynolds531:

Yes, NIB. I ordered it in August 2011 and got delivery in September 2015. It sat in my garage until Thanksgiving. I have a NIB LOTR LE that has not given me any problems at all. No waiting for the LOTR: I just ordered it and had it shipped.

I know Jack has been a bit slow but even he can't make time disappear

#99 4 years ago

It's awesome. You should buy mine today

#100 4 years ago

I'd rather get herpes than play WOZ again!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 279.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Blacklick, OH
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 279.95
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 114.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
11,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
West Des Moines, IA
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Machine - For Sale
Gainesville, TX
$ 399.95
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 11,500.00
$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 103 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside